mskelly Posted November 2, 2012 Share Posted November 2, 2012 Why am I so scared to use the epi pen on my son? He has food allergies and we've had the pen since he was about 1. I've never used it, but I do keep it current. The past 2 reactions probably were epi worthy, but I didn't do it. I give him a double dose of Benadryl the second I suspect he's having a reaction and wait a few minutes. THe symptoms usually start to subside in about 5 minutes with a huge improvement at 10 minutes. The past two reactions happened 2 hours after he ate. Last night's episode has been the worst so far and I don't even know what caused it. :confused: We talked about allergies at his last well child visit and the dr. stressed "DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE EPI. IT IS HIS LIFELINE." Yet, when it happened again I still didn't grab it. How awful is that? Early on in the allergy journey I was told not to use the pen unless it was a true emergency because I can do more harm than good. That was a different doctor, but I can't get it out of my head. Now, I think they'd rather I give it to him and then go to the hospital. I know food allergies aren't something to mess around with. It's a horrible feeling to see him in such pain. The past 2 reactions were severe stomach pain and vomiting, no visible swelling of lips or mouth area. Thanks for letting me ramble. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.