Menu

Secular Thanksgiving

brasilmom

Greetings,

I am looking into doing an unit study on Thanksgiving with my child. However, it has been rather difficult to find sources that talk about the holiday itself without the religious content of it.

So, does anyone here has sources where the view of the holiday is secular and practical?

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

What books have you tried? I'm not sure you can cut out the part about some of the Pilgrims as being deeply religious. Not all the people on the Mayflower were and I talk about that with my kids.

I've started reading and discussing this book with my kids. I haven't read all the way through yet. We discuss each page. For example, we've talked about the terminology used. The Europeans who came to North America are called "colonists" when really they are "invaders" and I talk about how simple words can change the meaning and vibe of history.

We also talk about religion in the light of how it plays a role in the treatment of others. That is part of the history.

Thank you for the links and replies. Now, a bit of background. I am not American and have a bit of conflict with the history aspect of Thanksgiving as it makes all appear so nice and friendly. Coming from a colonized country I know that encounters between natives and Europeans were anything but pleasant. However, I want my children to understand the spirit of thanksgiving independently of the holiday. On the religious side of it, I guess it is impossible to leave it out, but there is too much sugar coating. The truth is not pretty in many historical facts. Nonetheless, I find it necessary to learn the historical facts as close to real as possible so we can learn from past mistakes and do better. I do not mean to be offensive or anything. I will check out the provided links and am certain I will find something suitable for our family.

I appreciate all the replies and ideas.

Be well

Miriam

Thank you for the links and replies. Now, a bit of background. I am not American and have a bit of conflict with the history aspect of Thanksgiving as it makes all appear so nice and friendly. Coming from a colonized country I know that encounters between natives and Europeans were anything but pleasant. However, I want my children to understand the spirit of thanksgiving independently of the holiday. On the religious side of it, I guess it is impossible to leave it out, but there is too much sugar coating. The truth is not pretty in many historical facts. Nonetheless, I find it necessary to learn the historical facts as close to real as possible so we can learn from past mistakes and do better. I do not mean to be offensive or anything. I will check out the provided links and am certain I will find something suitable for our family.

Be well

Miriam

Not a children's book but have you read Lies My Teacher Told Me? Several chapters go into what you are talking about. I've read it and I discuss the things from the book with my kids.

I don't think there was anything ugly about the First Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims would have never survived that first year without the help of their Indian neighbors. They all met together to celebrate the great harvest. To me, it is a wonderful story. Our family really loves to listen to Radio Theater's presentation of "The Legend of Squanto" during the Thanksgiving season. It's excellent. You can find it on Amazon.

One thing I have found helpful in explaining thanksgiving is to explain that the "first" thanksgiving feast in the Americas took place thousands of years ago and that setting aside a time of thanksgiving is a practice under taken by most cultures through out the world and through out history. I hope this is helpful. Some of the books we read last year or are on the docket this year are:

Pedro's Journal

Children of the Long House

Thanksgiving at our House

The Thanksgiving Door

We Gather Together

1621:A new look at thanks giving

Squanto's Journey

Three young Pilgrims

Stories of the Pilgrims

I don't think there was anything ugly about the First Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims would have never survived that first year without the help of their Indian neighbors. They all met together to celebrate the great harvest. To me, it is a wonderful story. Our family really loves to listen to Radio Theater's presentation of "The Legend of Squanto" during the Thanksgiving season. It's excellent. You can find it on Amazon.

:iagree:There are plenty of Native encounters that get ugly later on, but this particular one was not. The relations between the Native Americans and the Saints and Strangers were pleasant for a few years at first, in all reality probably because the Native Americans did not understand what the colonists meant to do in owning/taking over the land. However, that is a separate issue from the origins of the Thanksgiving holiday.

ETA: Yes, there were some political reasons that Squanto befriended the colonists and they were not entirely virtuous. That doesn't mean that there was immediate conflict however.

Edited by FairProspects

:iagree:There are plenty of Native encounters that get ugly later on, but this particular one was not. The relations between the Native Americans and the Saints and Strangers were pleasant for a few years at first, in all reality probably because the Native Americans did not understand what the colonists meant to do in owning/taking over the land. However, that is a separate issue from the origins of the Thanksgiving holiday.

ETA: Yes, there were some political reasons that Squanto befriended the colonists and they were not entirely virtuous. That doesn't mean that there was immediate conflict however.

Read the book I posted earlier. There is a lot more to the story of the Plymouth colony and the Native Americans. Pretty much everything I was taught about Thanksgiving is not true.

I do my best to skip over the US history part of any of it. I put more focus on the human tradition of harvest feasts at the end of the growing season, the shortening days, storing food for winter, and feeling grateful. We'll read the story about Persephone and Demeter, and about how Native Americans lived before European settlers took over everything. This year they are asking for some stories about Coyote, so I'm looking for a book for that.

Be well

Miriam

We had a good book from National Geographic I believe (cannot recall the title, but sure the word Thanksgiving was in it) about Thanksgiving that tried to be factual. It gave some of the Wampanoag perspective. One can celebrate/honor both the giving of Thanks and also the Day of Mourning perspectives.

ETA: It was 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving that others have also mentioned.

Edited by Pen