Menu

Recommendations for Music Theory?

for an avid guitar player with no theory background? She is interested in learning, but I cannot find any teacher that really suits her interest & my wallet. She doesn't want to go to community college for this, but wants to learn it at home. Any ideas?

nothing about guitar, but I did a search and came up with this list of guitar theory books from Amazon.

Also, in St. Louis there's a great music store called Shattinger Music Company. I pulled up this list from their website (scroll down to the bottom of the page). Their 1-800 number is listed at the top. The great thing about Shattinger's (or similar music stores) is that they hire very knowledgeable people about the particular instrument you're looking for. It's kind of like the difference between trying to find a special screwdriver and going to your local corner hardware store, where the guys and gals know everything about what they sell, as opposed to going to Wal-Mart, where you may or may not get someone who knows what they sell and what it's used for, kwim?

Even if your student doesn't take lessons at the cc, you might call the music department there and try to talk to the person who would give guitar lessons. You could ask him/her for their recommendations for a good, self-teaching guitar theory book.

HTH! I wish I could have helped you more; for piano, I would recommend the Bastien series, because it is self-teaching (although we have a piano teacher); our teacher has used Bastien to lay a good foundation for theory, technique, and instruction with the piano. Now the girls used Suzuki for music literature but still do the Bastien theory and technique books.

Best wishes to you in your search!

I like Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory. They have it as both a book and cd set as well as a cd-rom computer curriculum. It has levels 1 - 3. It looks simple enough, but when my son and I went through it, we found level 3 to be fairly tough and he's taken music lessons all of his life.

It's not for any particular instrument, but if you get the computer software, you can set it up for any clef that you want (base, tenor, etc...). You can purchase it straight from Alfred, another of other music websites, and I actualy thhink they have it at CBD and Rainbow Resource as well. If you get the complete 3 in 1, it is self teaching for a junior high or high school student.

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

Here's another site with free guitar lessons, The Guitar Foundation.

From the site:

This site has been designed to bring a comprehensive approach to contemporary guitar. We, at the Guitar Foundation would love to take you for a tour. So come along and see where we can take you in a short period of time! Your interaction with each lesson is imperative. So pick up your guitar and be ready for action, because once we start... We don't stop!

- All lessons are fully animated and downloadable!

The great thing about Shattinger's (or similar music stores) is that they hire very knowledgeable people about the particular instrument you're looking for. It's kind of like the difference between trying to find a special screwdriver and going to your local corner hardware store, where the guys and gals know everything about what they sell, as opposed to going to Wal-Mart, where you may or may not get someone who knows what they sell and what it's used for, kwim?

Great analogy and I totally agree. I'm always amazed at the knowledge of our local music store (Penders) employees.