Menu

Academy of Reading

Has anybody used or heard of AutoSkill's Academy of Reading? I went to a LD and ADHD Resource Fair, and a teacher there recommended this online program for dyslexia. He told me the price is $200/month. He claimed it was Orton-Gillingham based but I see no such claim by the program itself.

Edited by DyslexicParent

Well, I purchased Academy of Reading through BJUP but that division was bought out a couple of years ago. But looking at the screenshots at the EPS site, that is it.

I paid $299 for it, which I thought was expensive then. I wouldn't value it at $200 a month.

Was it worth the $299, i.e., did it help with dyslexia?

My son never got through it. He completed a good amount of it but then we changed computers and there was real no easy way to import his work.

I just learned that he needs vision therapy. But, as far as any testing goes, he is not dyslexic so he might not be the best test subject for this.

I thought that $299 was high, but I may change my mind in a year.

I have an overall opinion of computer programs.

I think it is cheaper for schools to use a computer, but for reading/speech like my son needed, I think sometimes one-on-one is just going to be better. 1) It can be multi-sensory 2) It can be tailored to the child.

I think there are specific things a computer program can do very well. But unless it is a program targeting something that a computer is going to be uniquely suited to, I think these computer programs are marketed to schools and affordable for schools. They let the schools put kids on computers instead of working with an aide or a para.

For a school even, with RTI, the computer program might be the lowest level of intervention.... for ones I have looked at, the higher levels of intervention end up one-on-one tutoring. So you take a chance your child has a less severe issue that can respond to a lower level of intervention, which is true of many kids. Or you do a program that is kind-of meant to be used in conjunction with therapy (with a number of people using certain of these programs in conjunction with speech therapy, while others are using them in addition to other instruction they provide, and some are just doing the computer program -- but those seem to be kids who pick it up easily imo).

There are computer programs I don't think are like that, but there are some I do.

I think there are drill things where kids like computers, and also ones where they will not be embarassed if they are working with a computer, so I think those are real positives with a computer. And then I think there are things where the computer itself is good.

I thought my son would be motivated to work with a computer program when I started with him and it turned out not to be just right for him, so that is where I am coming from.

I have an overall opinion of computer programs.

I think it is cheaper for schools to use a computer, but for reading/speech like my son needed, I think sometimes one-on-one is just going to be better. 1) It can be multi-sensory 2) It can be tailored to the child.

I think there are specific things a computer program can do very well. But unless it is a program targeting something that a computer is going to be uniquely suited to, I think these computer programs are marketed to schools and affordable for schools. They let the schools put kids on computers instead of working with an aide or a para.

For a school even, with RTI, the computer program might be the lowest level of intervention.... for ones I have looked at, the higher levels of intervention end up one-on-one tutoring. So you take a chance your child has a less severe issue that can respond to a lower level of intervention, which is true of many kids. Or you do a program that is kind-of meant to be used in conjunction with therapy (with a number of people using certain of these programs in conjunction with speech therapy, while others are using them in addition to other instruction they provide, and some are just doing the computer program -- but those seem to be kids who pick it up easily imo).

There are computer programs I don't think are like that, but there are some I do.

I think there are drill things where kids like computers, and also ones where they will not be embarassed if they are working with a computer, so I think those are real positives with a computer. And then I think there are things where the computer itself is good.

I thought my son would be motivated to work with a computer program when I started with him and it turned out not to be just right for him, so that is where I am coming from.

I agree with this ... I wouldn't use a computer-based program for dyslexia. I think they can enhance the student's learning, but wouldn't use it as a basis of their learning.

In "Effective Programs for Struggling Readers: A Best-Evidence Synthesis", software such as Academy of Reading and Fast ForWord had insufficient evidence of effectiveness. :sad:

One-to-one tutoring works. Teachers are more effective as tutors than paraprofessionals or volunteers, and an emphasis on phonics greatly improves tutoring outcomes.

:

Traditional computer-assisted instruction programs have little impact on reading. :(

I will be trying to get my child into the PHAST or Empower Reading Program.

Edited by DyslexicParent