Menu

I'm giving up on HST online

nukeswife

I've given it 2 months and I just find it to be much harder than it has to be.

I'm going back to HST+, of course now that I own a mac that means running parallels, as well as having to re-enter everything because somehow my database was corrupted on my back up.

I hate that there is no way to convert it back to HST+. I guess it's not as easy as you'd think to do that though.

So now I have to go download all the LPs that I got from the yahoo group again, type up ones I had to make myself because there isn't one on the yahoo group, as well as log in all the stuff we've already done for this year so far.

Oh boy, glad I decided to stick with my HST+. I would offer to help with LP but it looks like we don't have anything in common in resources.

What did you like and dislike most about HST online?

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

I love the "assignment" page in HST+ where I have a list of everyones assignments and can group them however I want. Then as we accomplish things I can enter the grades and just tab my way down the list, highlight them all and say "mark as complete" I could make a list in Online, but only an agenda list and then I had have to put in the score, hit next and so on. If I didn't have it in the list view and it was in calendar it took 2 clicks, then enter the score, then click to mark complete by me and then click again to save. Then you have do do that all again for each assignment.

I also didn't care for the lack of reports. There are very few of them compared to HST+. No calendar assignment list to print, only a daily task list for the kids.

I didn't like that many times I had to hit the home button, because there was no way to move from one area to the other unless you went back to the home screen.

In general it was just that it was almost like using a completely different program, not a spin off of one I really liked. It just seemed things took too many clicks than were necessary.

That's really frustrating. I love HST+ and thought about trying online, but chose not to as soon as I found out there was no way to move my info BACK to regular HST+ if I wanted to.

I really don't understand all these companies now trying to jump on the "cloud" bandwagon. No thanks! I want my info in my possession so I can access it as needed and make my own backups.

Oh my! Now I know for sure I would not want to use the online! The Assignment page is where I live :D. I decided against LP's and am using the Assignment page for my planning. I also love, love, love all the report options! Not being able to transfer your information back would be a deal breaker here for sure and I never really liked the idea of our information being saved on someone else's server anyway. Thank you so much for posting these points and I am sorry you have to go through setting up HST+ all over again :(

I have found Olly to do more than HST for my purposes, with the exception of handling my alternating two-week schedule.

It is also still evolving-- the developers are really responsive to user requests.

I don't need it to cook my dinner (though somebody figured out how to use it as a menu planner already :) ); for how I use it, I found the usability to be far easier than HST+ as well-- and I've done quite a lot of programming, so I'm not exactly a novice user.

If you've migrated to a Mac, have you looked at Olly, before you go and type up all that stuff for HST+ again?

I converted and have not gone back-- and don't have to run anything in BootCamp or any of the other options for a PC program.

I have looked at it, but I wasn't really fond of it either. I think having used HST+ for almost 5 years that it's hard to use something else, since HST+ seemed to be 2nd nature for me when I tried HSTonline.

I guess I could check olly out again, but I'm not holding my breath.

ETA: well I guess Olly helped make the decision for me. I went to try it and it said my trial was over. Well I did download it, but only opened it twice. I guess it's not 30 days of actual use, just 30 days on the calendar. Since I already own Parallels, windows, HST+ and use the P/W set up to run Quicken (I hated Quicken for Mac) I'll just stick with HST+

Edited by nukeswife

I love the "assignment" page in HST+ where I have a list of everyones assignments and can group them however I want. Then as we accomplish things I can enter the grades and just tab my way down the list, highlight them all and say "mark as complete" I could make a list in Online, but only an agenda list and then I had have to put in the score, hit next and so on. If I didn't have it in the list view and it was in calendar it took 2 clicks, then enter the score, then click to mark complete by me and then click again to save. Then you have do do that all again for each assignment.

I also didn't care for the lack of reports. There are very few of them compared to HST+. No calendar assignment list to print, only a daily task list for the kids.

I didn't like that many times I had to hit the home button, because there was no way to move from one area to the other unless you went back to the home screen.

In general it was just that it was almost like using a completely different program, not a spin off of one I really liked. It just seemed things took too many clicks than were necessary.

I'm with you. When I was trying to decide on planners, I bought both HST+ and a month of HST Online so I could see which I'd like best. I entered the same exact information into both including lesson plans, etc. I like the idea of HST Online and some features are nice, but I just didn't like it nearly as much as HST+. It just takes me less time to use HST+ and has ALOT more report options like you mentioned.

Sorry you have to re-enter all of your information. Hope it goes quickly for you.

I agree completely. Next year I will go back to HST+ I think. Online is very clumsy in comparison. Prettier, but clumsy.

That's really frustrating. I love HST+ and thought about trying online, but chose not to as soon as I found out there was no way to move my info BACK to regular HST+ if I wanted to.

I really don't understand all these companies now trying to jump on the "cloud" bandwagon. No thanks! I want my info in my possession so I can access it as needed and make my own backups.

Recurring revenue... if you buy desktop apps, you buy once and maybe buy a newer version 3-5 years later. If you purchase a web app subscription, you pay monthly or annually.

I guess it's good that I never used HST+, so I don't know how much better it is. I love that I can use HST Online on my iPad. I agree that the user interface could be better - there are a lot of clicks.

Give it some time. The product is young. I am sure it will more closely emulate HST+ as it matures.

Give it some time. The product is young. I am sure it will more closely emulate HST+ as it matures.

I'm not so sure about this. From what I remember reading on their site, the interface they used for HST+ is just not something available to use for an online/tablet platform which is why it was so different to begin with and I believe it's why you can only convert from plus to online, but can't go back. I loved that I could use HST online on my ipad, but it wasn't enough to make me want to keep at it. I'll just carry my macbook pro into the school room instead.

Just to Update: I have managed to find and import some LPs, and have typed in our history LP for the time travelers disk we're working through. Luckily today was a light school day where the kids had all independent subjects, so I can work on setting up HST+ again while being available for questions they may have.