Menu

Seeking good gluten-free bread recipes

I am going to experiment with putting my dd on a GF diet but there is no way she could survive without sandwiches, so I need a recipe for a kid-friendly bread that a 6 and 4yo will actually eat. We've been underwhelmed by most of the breads we've tried so far. Thanks!

I have yet to find a gluten free recipe I love for bread ( a year later:tongue_smilie:), but I have found some good sweet bread recipes (like pumpkin and banana). We are also dairy free for now so if we are making peanut butter and jelly I will just put that on sweet bread and the kids love it! If we have turkey or some kind of lunch meat we usually either have it with rice crackers or wrap it up in a piece of lettuce with pickle, tomato, and avocado.

I use a recipe from Gluten Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine by Annalise Roberts. It takes a mixture of 5 flours so there's some investment BUT my dh loves it and....it's kinder to his system than the ones that are rice flour based. (Some of them are, um, constipating.) I first got the book from the library to see if it was something I wanted to purchase.

The other book I often recommend is another Roberts' book, Gluten Free Baking Classics. The pie crust in this one is marvelous--I serve it to everyone and no one ever realizes that it's a GF recipe!

I use a recipe from Gluten Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine by Annalise Roberts. It takes a mixture of 5 flours so there's some investment BUT my dh loves it and....it's kinder to his system than the ones that are rice flour based. (Some of them are, um, constipating.) I first got the book from the library to see if it was something I wanted to purchase.

The other book I often recommend is another Roberts' book, Gluten Free Baking Classics. The pie crust in this one is marvelous--I serve it to everyone and no one ever realizes that it's a GF recipe!

What flours are used? I'm trying to cut back on rice flour. How about the pie crust?

I have both books, every recipe I tried in her bread machine book failed miserably and I even made sure to get the same model bread machine based on the comments on Amazon. Her other book has made some wonderful breads and goodies but I was surprised at all the failures. I have the Kindle version of the bread machine book if the OP wants to borrow it (you can loan all Kindle books right?)