Menu

so I have a beautiful uncarved pumpkin I cannot let go to waste.

Last year I had 3 medium sized pumpkins I cooked instead of carved. I had the kids empty them as usual. Then I quartered them and put them in a baking dish with some water and baked like I do spaghetti squash. Once done I peeled it off the skin and threw it in the blender to puree. I filled up 5 of the large ziploc freezer bags with pureed pumpkin and had enough for baking for most of the year(only need 1 C for many of the recipes I use) and used it for nursing a sick dog back to health. This year I only have 1 small-medium sized one but I am doing the same thing. I will obviously have less yield but it is so easy to cook it up and have on hand.

You'll get plenty of cooked pumpkin to make it worth it. The easiest thing to do is to cut the pumpkin in half and stick it in the oven at 350 till the flesh is soft. Or you can just put the whole thing in and then cut it open when it's soft. Once it's cooked, let it cool and then scrape out the flesh. You can mash or blend it if you like. I generally blend pumpkin because of the texture.

I usually use my homemade puréed pumpkin in place of canned pumpkin with no changes. Sometimes it can be a little more watery, depending on the pumpkin, and then I'll drain it in a strainer for a few minutes.

The larger ones tend to be stringy and sometimes grainy... just depends.

Cut up your pumpkin removing as much 'gunk' on the 'meat' as possible (strings and seeds...). Seeds are GREAT roasted btw.

I prefer to 'steam' my pumpkins. I cut the pumpkin into chunks (leave skin on) and place in steamer-- takes about 10 minutes or so to cook to tender-- the skin will lift right off.

For larger pumpkins it will really help if you puree the pumpkin after it cooks-- use a blender or food processor. This will take care of the 'strings'.

If you end up with a 'grainy' pumpkin then reserve it for something like pumpkin bread... it will hid the texture difference.

I prepared a 10 inch pie pumpkin last week-- I got 2 good sized pies out of it.

I plan on cooking up the beautiful LARGE pumpkin that is on my counter right now (used as a centerpiece at a party). Pumpkin muffins are in our future! (I cook in large batches then freeze).

Here are some instructions. A Jack-0-lantern isn't the same as a pie pumpkin.

Most pumpkins commonly sold are large, grainy squash grown for ornamentation, carving... and feeding farm animals. They're not really intended for human consumption. By contrast, "Pie pumpkins" are smaller, sweeter, less grainy textured pumpkins than the usual jack-o-lantern types.