Menu

Possible test anxiety -- looking for suggestions

My husband is tutoring a high school student in Algebra and is considering the possibility that this young man might be suffering from test anxiety. Do you have any suggestions or resources to recommend? (I did find this thread while searching the board and it had some interesting insights.)

Regards,

Kareni

My son had this. We went to a therapist. He taught him some relaxation techniques to use AND told him to take as many tests as possible. Taking frequent tests makes it less of a novel situation. (For instance, take lots of practice SATs, take lots of SATs, etc. and the anxiety factor goes down.) In the case of a kid in a public school, I'm not sure how the school could help. In the case of a homeschooled student, a test could be given every day or a few times a week.

Thank you, Laurie4b. I'll pass on the frequent test taking suggestion to my husband. He and the student have been meeting once a week, but as they'll start meeting twice a week next week more frequent testing may be possible.

It's reassuring to hear that it's possible to move beyond test anxiety. May I ask how long it took for that to occur with your son?

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni