Menu

Youngest iPod/iPad "owners"

What is the age of the youngest child for whom you have purchased an iPod touch or iPad?

I'm buying one today for dgs because my phone is the only thing that keeps him remotely calm in the car (well, and my spare iPad, but it's not always practical to haul around).

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one...

Oh, and no flames - this child never watches TV, and rarely uses the electronics at the house, but in the car we are desperate!

My DD got hers at 7 for two reasons-#1, she has three cousins who live out of state who have the,, and the girls use them to iMessage/FaceTime each other, and #2, I wanted my iPod thatI use for teaching back, and having all of DD's school apps on it madeithard for me to have as many of my music playlists loaded. We have e same rules for the Ipod as other devices-limited time, public areas only, and not when weave visitors.

How old is the child? Indy wants an ipod touch or ipad so badly it hurts. He won't be getting one though. He has several friends who have them (he's 10), but I can't see spending that much money on something that can be so easily lost. Plus, *I* don't even have an ipad. I have an iphone, but that's, well, my phone. Indy did have an ipod shuffle, but he literally wore it out. After his birthday, he used his bday money to buy an ipod nano, but that's as far as I would go. He didn't have the money for an ipod touch anyway, so it didn't matter. Even if he did though, I wouldn't let him get one at this age. Again, it could be too easily lost. I personally don't think anyone under about 13 or 14 should have one, but that's just me.

If he needs to do something in the car, why not get an inexpensive DVD player and let him watch movies or give him something to do (car games, crayons, etc). I think a several hundred dollar ipod touch or ipad is too much. JMO.

Well, technically we bought my dd an iPad when she was three. She is HFA and we wanted her to have access to the apps. It has been wonderful and she's learned lots from the educational apps we've bought for her. But she has limited access to it and in all actuality, it is more mine than hers. I use it for her preschool and also just for my web surfing quite a bit. So, sorry, I guess that doesn't really help. :)

We did buy a Gumdrop case for it and that thing could withstand a nuclear blast, it seems like. Our iPad has been thrown a few times by careless young kids and is still in fantastic condition. So if you do get him one, I suggest a high quality case for it.

I would got with a cheaper device. Those are pretty expensive devices for a young child (although you don't say how old). A Kindle Fire is much cheaper than an iPod and I think it's more durable. What does he do in the car that you think he needs a device? Is he bored? I

We got DD an iPod touch for Christmas last year. She was almost 6. It was DH's idea. I was sort of against it, but went along with it and it's been ok. We seriously limit how much she can use it and where she can take it.

Just make sure you get a really good case for it.

Edited by dzingirl
Forgot something

A month before Christmas 2011, my husband and I got iPhones through a work discount. We gave my husband's recycled iPod 4th gen (the one with the camera and everything) to our then 8 year old son for Christmas, loaded up with apps and in a bright new sturdy case. He loves it, it is helpful for the calendar and note pad and he will use it to look stuff up. He is good about not overdoing it or losing it. He does have autism so it has morphed into a nice executive functioning aid. I was hesitant to give it to him. But I am glad he has it and happy my husband suggested it.

Look into the Nobi. It is an Android tablet with a kid section and 'mommy/daddy' section. You dictate what the child has access to in the kid section, while having a full tablet in 'mommy/daddy' mode.

They cost $200 and are designed for kids so they are very durable. They are in the process of making a headrest holder for it, if they like to watch movies in the car and it has bluetooth for wireless headphones.

DD5 just got one and she reallly likes it so far.

I would got with a cheaper device. Those are pretty expensive devices for a young child (although you don't say how old). A Kindle Fire is much cheaper than an iPod and I think it's more durable. What does he do in the car that you think he needs a device? Is he bored? I

If the main goal is having something for watching videos, I agree with this.

iPod or iPad -- the youngest we have personally bought for was 12 I think at the time, and it wasn't an iPod touch.

But.

Several years ago, pre-iPod and iPad touch systems, we bought our then 4 yr old a brand new Nintendo DS (upgrading him from the passed-down Nintendo Game Boy he got at age three) for the same reason you mention.

Get a rather indestructible case for the thing and no worries; you gotta do what you gotta do, ya know?

Mine got them last Christmas, at 5.5 and 7.5. They are WONDERFUL. Also DH's side of the family is out of the country and I love that they can still see the kids via face time, because we got them one as well. THAT is priceless. We only get to see them in person once a year.

I played with my SIL's Kindle Fire and it is in no way more durable than an iPad. I doubt it would last long around my 3yo. Other, cheaper Android tablets are even less durable. My husband's Asus was plastic and cracked in less than a week. My daughter's took about a month to crack. I sold them at half the price I bought them for and put the money towards iPads. I took quite a bath trying to save money.

My original iPad has been dropped, thrown, etc. for 2 1/2 years and still works and looks like brand new. AppleCare+ for iPads also covers up to 3 accidents with a $50 copay in addition to extending the original warranty, which is a fantastic deal at $100 for 3 years. There is also the question of whether OP already owns a lot of apps in the Apple App Store. Rebuying apps just wouldn't make sense.

Not bought for him, but my 4yo uses my iPad often. We bought an iPod Touch last year while he was 3 and he used that, too. We plan to buy them all iPads b/c they are so useful for school, but it will take a couple of years b/c of the cost otherwise they would each have one now.

My 2 and 5 year olds use mine a lot and will probably get their own for Christmas. I don't think you (general you) should decide not to get something for a kid just because it is expensive. If you will get your money's worth, why not? Cost of programs/apps is a consideration too. If I bought one of those leap pad things for my 2 year old, it would quickly become as expensive as an iPad because every game costs $20. And just because they have one doesn't mean they have unlimited access.

My boys got to use my iPads when they were 5 and 6. It is very common to see two and above with iPads and babies playing on mummy's iphones.

I just saw a toddler in a stroller playing on the iPad while her mum shop at the premium outlets. It is so common no one thinks anything about it.

My boys inherited my DH's and my iPod touches last week because we upgraded to smartphones. They are 5 1/2 and almost 9. We don't allow any screen time during the week and we are TV free. They both enjoy using their iPods to play music (Spanish, bible songs, nature songs, recorder songs), take pictures and alter/edit them using different photo apps, and my oldest likes to look at sports standings and check fantasy football on the weekends. They both play chess and angry birds with their limited weekend screen time as well.

We deleted the web browser app for my youngest, and my oldest has restricted settings. We haven't had any problems so far. They know not to take them out of the house unless they ask and they return them to the docking area after using.

I no longer have to share my iPad on the weekend mornings with my oldest, now that he prefers his own device, so it's been a good arrangement.

Youngest DD will probably have one for her use when she is 5 or so because she has autism and there are lots of therapeutic apps available only for iPad & not other devices.

That said, I am seriously leaning towards getting oldest DD the new iPad and having her hand down her current iPad 3 to her little sister.

DS got one while he was in the hospital shortly after turning 5. His 3 year old sister wants one too and we will probably get her one for her 4th birthday. The 18 month old also plays with it on occasion, but isn't that interested in it yet.

I don't have a problem with young kids and electronics though, DS has had his own computer since he was 18 months old and we just put up a second kid computer for DD who is 3 1/2, so the older two don't have to share.

It is because he screams in the car ALL.THE.TIME. unless he is playing his games on my iPhone. He does NOT watch tv at all, so a DVD player would be useless. He loves playing his apps, and he has gotten quite good at some of them! He also has some interactive Boynton books on there that he loves.

He is 15 months old.

I wound up picking him up a new 4th gen 8 gig iPod touch at SAMs today for $175. If that is more than a Kindle Fire, it cant be much more. The 2-yr warranty was only $19 and covers breaks, liquid damage, etc. I was going to do a refurb from Apple, but honestly, I just needed it for him NOW.

We have tons of Apple products already, and all of the apps I had for him on my phone and my older iPad were free to load on his iPod.

I planned to get an otter box, but wound up getting the new Fisher Price case they sell for kids. It's pretty awesome for $15, and looks to have a lot of protection for it.

I'm upgrading my iPhone 4S to a 5, and I could've given him that, but I can sell my 4S for a good bit more than I paid for his iPod, so I'm gonna do that instead.

Look into the Nobi. It is an Android tablet with a kid section and 'mommy/daddy' section. You dictate what the child has access to in the kid section, while having a full tablet in 'mommy/daddy' mode.

They cost $200 and are designed for kids so they are very durable. They are in the process of making a headrest holder for it, if they like to watch movies in the car and it has bluetooth for wireless headphones.

DD5 just got one and she reallly likes it so far.

Thanks for this. I think we've found our big present for this year. We've been looking for something like this for a while!

(It's Nabi, though. Apparently Nobi is some other kind of youth-oriented tablet, but Nabi is the android one that you're describing)

My 8 year old has been the sole user of MY ipod touch for the past year or two. I got an iphone a year ago and stopped using the ipod touch completely, so he uses it mostly.

12 year old has an iphone (with a cheap plan but can use internet on wifi only).

14 year old uses the ipad more than anyone else.

However, all of the above devices are technically MINE and can be removed at any time! :D

Really, if money were no object, I would have gotten little dd her own ipod months ago. She has been using mine since she turned 1, and by the time she was 18 mos., she basically has taken command of it. I only manage to use it when she is asleep or in another room out of her sight. If she sees it, she wants it. If I ever get an iPhone, it'll be hers.

She has tons of educational games (alphabet, colors, shapes, drawing, coloring, matching games, puzzles, vocabulary "flash cards", etc.). She also loves to watch Berenstain Bears and Caillou on YouTube. Yes, she navigates all of these just fine on her own.

If you can afford it, an iPod is an excellent investment, considering most apps or only 99 cents. There are VTech and Leapfrog tablets for kids, but then you have to buy their apps or cartridges, and they aren't cheap.

I think the Leap Frog games and accessories are quite pricey, and kids seem to "grow out of them," if ykwim. I figure with an iPod touch he can graduate to harder, more age-appropriate games over time. If by any chance he'd become less interested in it, it can be used by an adult in the house, or sold.

We have a family ipad. DD got her ipod touch for her 5th birthday. Technically we didn't purchase it *for* her, dh had a spare since he bought the wrong "generation" for what he wanted then bought another one that did what he needed. We gave it to DD for her birthday to free up a bit of ipad time for DS (who was 2).

I'll be sore tempted to give my ds my ipad3 when the ipad5 comes out (6 months to a year from now, not now). If I were buying in your situation, I'd get an ipad *mini*, not a touch. The bigger screen of the mini will be nice for more apps, and if it ever needs to move on to someone else, it will make a good size for an ereader.

Well, we gave my then 1.5 year old an older iPod no one was using. I got the Fisher-Price case for it. It was sooooo helpful at swimming. He's 2 now, and my iPhone occupies him in the car nicely. He can work everything, except for unlocking it. He loves to go and look at the photos and videos on it and has a few games he especially likes, like the farm animal sounds one. Most of the apps he likes don't work on the older iPod, so he has to use my phone.