Menu

I want to give my kids YouTube access. Walk me through it.

It will mostly be my 8.5yo, with the nearly 4yo at her side. I want to start allowing her to watch videos on YouTube, but obviously still protect her as much as possible from the horrible stuff.

What should I do? Turn on the safe mode? Make a playlist under my account? Set up her own account and playlists?

Help me out, o wise Hive! :bigear:

Honestly? At 8 and 4 I would not have them on YouTube, except for perhaps selected videos that I watch with them (infrequently). I still don't give DS12 substantial access to YouTube.

:iagree:

Not only do you have to police the videos themselves, you also have to police the comments (some can be very vulgar, crude and disgusting) and the suggested videos on the side.

My 14 yo does not get unfettered access to YouTube.

Safety mode will block comments. It doesn't seem to block the suggested videos on the side bar and it doesn't block you from clicking on them. That's why I don't allow my children access to youtube unless I pull a video up. I think though if you are on a certain "channel" then only videos that relate to that will come up, so my son (in the room with me and me looking over his shoulder) sometimes watches Lego movies or Minecraft, and my dd likes Taylor Swift's channel.

My ds has access to youtube. However, he built trust with us at other sites first. I wouldn't let an 8 year old, with a 4 year old watching have access. I might set up my own account and put videos you want on your playlist and pull them up.

We're pretty liberal with Internet access and ds and I discuss comments, side videos, and appropriate behavior quite often.

I agree with the others about your kids being too young. I never had a problem with my kids and youtube because two were older when it started really being a feature and the youngest didn't get to set up an account until she was 12 or 13. By the time they are that age, you have a good feel for how they manage the internet and can decide if they are old enough. They never add anything to youtube at all or comment in anyway except liking.

What other sites did he visit first, elegantlion? DD has been on PBS Kids and Nick Jr. for years. They're bookmarked on her computer. She only just learned how to type in an address in the bar a few weeks ago.

I don't want to have to sit right beside her all the time. She's pretty trustworthy in general, and I'm sure she'd click right off of anything she stumbled upon that was inappropriate. I don't worry too much about language, but I don't want her finding any of the p@rn that I've seen here and there on random sidebars on YouTube. Mostly, she'd be watching cartoons or maybe how-to videos for crafty stuff.

I've never made a playlist. Do you just find the videos you want and click an Add button or something? Sorry for such a dumb question!

No you don't. :tongue_smilie:

Really, You Tube has tempted my teens many times. At their age, they have to learn to navigate that , but, it's not safe territory, and there have been some damaging mistakes in our house.

Watch anything on You Tube with them at their ages.

I really can't remember what sites he used first. I think a few were kid related, like webkinz or gaia. He was also good about looking up things and only going where he needed. He would shop for gaming cards, poker chips, ebay, things like that. Watch Mythbusters online. Guided searches for the most part.

My ds has access to youtube. However, he built trust with us at other sites first. I wouldn't let an 8 year old, with a 4 year old watching have access. I might set up my own account and put videos you want on your playlist and pull them up.

We're pretty liberal with Internet access and ds and I discuss comments, side videos, and appropriate behavior quite often.

Same here. My kids have laptops downstairs. They are in my sight most of the time. And ds is pretty paranoid so he shuts dd down right quick if he thinks it is necessary. So far the worse that has happened is she stumbled on the lyrics to an Eminem song but the first swear ds had it shut down LOL

I registered for kideo (It looks like just what I was looking for!), but I'm having trouble getting some of the videos to show up and play.

PlumCrazyMom, I use Chrome, and Kido'Z has been right there the whole time! How have I never noticed it? D'oh! It looks like something I could let my younger dd or ds use. Thanks! :)