Menu

My older dd has facial cellulitis

On Tuesday, my dd had what she thought was a strange pimple on her cheek. Yesterday, she was doing college work and I didn't see her in the morning. Around noon, I went grocery shopping for a little while, came home, and her spot had grown and now she had dusky red in the undereye area. I called her doctor and we sent her a text with a photo (her doctor has half day on Wednesday), and then I drove her to the ER. Between the time I came home and we left for the ER, she already looked worse and that was only 20 minutes. We were seen in the ER fast and she was first diagnosed with an abscess. However, when the doctor tried to lance it, no pus came out and it just bled and bled. He decided, yes it was cellulitis and prescribed an antibiotic and pain medicine.

I had to be hospitalized three years ago with an antibiotic resistant periorbital cellulitis and I would appreciate the following prayers- that the antibiotic works and that she doesn't turn out to be allergic to the antibiotic. She had never had this kind and her two siblings and myself are all three allergic to sulfa drugs and it is a sulfa antibiotic.

One morning my then teen son with autism looked lopsided - half his face puffy. I thought "impossible - is this mumps? He had the shots..." and took him in tot he doctor. The doctor sent us straight to the hospital and ds was on i.v. antibiotics for three days. Cellulitis. Or however you spell it.

Definitely will pray for her.

I was given sulfa 20 years ago by an urgent care doctor, and when I reacted my regular doctor was really surprised it had been prescribed, as he said it was a common allergy. Can you call your own doctor again about this and ask if he recommends a different antibiotic? Given the family history, it seems prudent to try something else or to at least ask. The days it takes to get out of the system are pretty miserable.

:iagree:

I just got over this in my nose and sinus, it was trying to travel up to my eye by the time I got back in to get better antibiotics.

Face infections always worry me. So close to the brain!

Once I was given appropriate antibiotics, a week of misery was 80% resolved in 24 hours!

I had facial cellulitis on the left side, started on my jaw line a few months ago. I spent an evening in the ER getting clindamycin & some kind of pain reliever by IV. Then I was prescribed a heavy oral dose of that antibiotic for about 2 weeks, I think. It progressed too quickly to rely only on oral meds. The IV was necessary to slow it down to start to get it under control.

:grouphug: and prayers for a quick recovery.

Oh and she remembered at the ER that she had been bit by a bug while in the Publix shopping lot on Tuesday morning so it wasn't a pimple but a bug bite. It looks about the same as it did last night but at least isn't getting worse. She is really tired and I told her that raging infections and the antibiotic fighting them is going to make her tired.