Menu

Dollar General Market--who has one of these stores?

One of my neighbors was telling me that a Dollar General Market store is in a neighboring town. He said it was unbelievably cheap to shop from but couldn't offer any more detail than that.

So, tell me more, please, if you have one. Probably the cheapest grocery around here is WalMart. And he said it beats WM all the pieces.

Thanks!

It mostly has junk and isn't really a grocery store at all. It has *some* groceries, like some baking stuff (and not much) it mostly has boxed stuff. It has a little more than you would find in a gas station with groceries but along similar lines. It has less than a small WM has (not a supercenter)

it has cleaning stuff and not great brands and paper goods

I wouldn't go out of my way to get to one.

It is basically like a WM, but with less stuff. But if you just need a couple things and don't want to drag kids through WM it is useful.

We have several Dollar General's, but it looks as if they are expanding into grocery stores as well. So Dollar General Market is different the a regular Dollar General.

Here's a link.

We actually use Dollar General a lot. Some of their items are junky, but others are not. I've also seen great variance in the upkeep of individual stores. Some are trashy looking, some are meticulous. We have 4 within a ten minute drive.

I go there for toiletries and such when I want to avoid a trip to Wal-mart.

We have several Dollar General's, but it looks as if they are expanding into grocery stores as well. So Dollar General Market is different the a regular Dollar General.

Here's a link.

We actually use Dollar General a lot. Some of their items are junky, but others are not. I've also seen great variance in the upkeep of individual stores. Some are trashy looking, some are meticulous. We have 4 within a ten minute drive.

I go there for toiletries and such when I want to avoid a trip to Wal-mart.

oohhh...

Apparently they are changing. :lol: I haven't seen one like that just ignore me. :D

We have several Dollar Generals but no Dollar General Markets. I hope the quality at the Markets is better. We do shop at the Dollar General, but only for certain things. It isn't cheap enough if it doesn't even survive the trip home. ;-)

I think it is more like 1/3 groceries and 2/3 Dollar general type stuff, not quite half and half. They carry lots of standard grocery items, which means you may find good deals on lots of staple type items.

We don't eat any of those types of things, so I can't make a lot of comments. I do remember seeing some name brands like Dole bagged salads, but I couldn't say for sure whether they carry that all the time, or as they are able to get a large lot of something. You're not likely to find organics or anything.

There is also a Sav A Lot quite close buy, and we have an Aldi's, too. If you were going to bother to make the drive, you could check out all three and have a pretty profitable trip.

~Lisa