Menu

What next after SM 6b

workingmom

My oldest went to ps and did prealgebra there and then did an "algebra" course that was actually "how to use a graphing calculator" and didn't teach algebra at all. When she came home, she did Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic books Algebra II (as a beta tester), and Larson's Precalculus. She did Statistics at the cc and then did Lial's Trigonometry at the cc.

My middle worked through Math Smart Junior over the summer and then spent two years working through Kinetic Books Algebra I (as a beta tester) and Jacobs Algebra. She abandoned Jacobs about halfway through because she thought KB was much better. She did Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Lial's Precalculus, and now Thinkwell Calculus.

The favorite program for both girls was Kinetic Books and they would have used it all the way through if it offered all the levels.

My youngest is an entirely different kid from her sisters. She struggles with math and wants nothing to do with a math program that is on the computer. She is working through MUS Geometry this year. She did MUS Algebra I last year. She is also reviewing algebra with Straightforward Math: Algebra I books 1-3.

Yes, after 6B (or in some cases even earlier) your student will be ready for prealgebra. There are lots of choices. Read and think about what you're looking for. Some older threads might be helpful:

Singapore Math users--Where to go after 6B?

Math after Singapore 6B

Algebra I ready after Singapore 6A/6B???

Where to go after Singapore 6B?

Trying to decide on math - NEM, DM, AoPS

Please share your math sequence

AOPS pre-algebra or Discovering Mathematics?

What happens to Singapore users after 6th grade?

We finished SM 1-6B and moved to DM 7A. My boys did the first 3 chapters and then moved to the new Common Core Standards DM 7A for Chapters 4 & 5. (They may go to a brick & mortar high school & I wanted to be sure to cover all typical US algebra I material by the end of 8th.)

I mentioned in another thread that the CCS 7A had some errors. They've already had to send out an answer key to replace the one in the back of the book. (Should have been a clue!) There was a significant, fundamental error in one of the explanations in Ch. 5. The CCS version has changed the order of the presentation of material within chapters. I decided there were too many issues w/ the CCS version to continue. We'll either go back to the original DM 7 or move to Dolciani Pre-Algebra, An Accelerated Course.

We are going on to AoPS pre-algebra. You could also look at Jacob's, saxon, Lial's or a host of others. It depends on what your end game is for this child and how much of a math kid they are. I just went through the whole process to figure it out. We're going to start with AoPS because my son is very math oriented and if it works out, the series will take him through high school with a challenging and complete math program. Keep in mind, I have not used any of these, we're just finishing up Singapore 6 as well.

Yes, after 6B (or in some cases even earlier) your student will be ready for prealgebra. There are lots of choices. Read and think about what you're looking for. Some older threads might be helpful:

Math after Singapore 6B

wow thanks for this. will look into this

• 3 months later...

Math after Singapore 6B

Thanks for the links!