Menu

Help me out here! Airline changed our Christmas flights...

Almost 2 months ago I booked our Christmas vacation on Orbitz to go visit Grandma & Grandpa for the first time in New York (they moved there 4 years ago). I knew prices would be rising due to fuel costs, so as soon as flights were available, I found a good deal on United and booked. We paid with our credit card and that has been paid off. Done deal. I thought.

A few weeks later we got an email from Orbitz saying that United had changed the flights. It was just a minor time change, so I just made note of it and did nothing else.

Yesterday we got another email. EEEEEEK!

Original flight was Sacramento to Chicago O'Hare to Syracuse with over an hour layover in Chicago. Coming home was the same, but in reverse, arriving in Sacramento in the afternoon so we could make the 4 hour drive home at a reasonable time.

Our new flight:

Sacramento to LAX (WITH A 36 MINUTE LAYOVER!!!!) to Chicago to Syracuse.

Coming home:

Syracuse to Chicago (5+ hour layover) to SFO to Sacramento, arriving after 10 pm at night. That means we'll need a hotel (possibly 2 rooms, depending on hotel/motel) for the night.

The email from Orbitz says to do nothing if changes are ok. Obviously, it's not, but it doesn't say what to do.

Do I contact Orbitz or United? I DO NOT WANT MY MONEY BACK! I simply want reasonable flights at the price we've already paid. Do they really think they can throw in an extra layover?? 36 minute layover at LAX? Give me a break.

I have a sinking feeling they are trying to force us to cancel and rebook at a higher price (not happening).

What do I do? At that time there will be 7 of us, including a 2mo baby. If we do miss the flight in LAX, I'm sure there will be no way to rebook us all on another flight together (Dec. 23).

Ick. ick. ick. Even though I booked the flight, I don't want to mess with making phone calls. I'll make DH do it on Tuesday (tomorrow is not an option). Would a letter be better? We have time to work our way to the top if need be. Even if I do get it "fixed," will they continue to make changes over the next 5 months until the flight?

Anyone BTDT? Advice? Hugs?

Do I just need a :chillpill: ?

:confused:

Almost 2 months ago I booked our Christmas vacation on Orbitz to go visit Grandma & Grandpa for the first time in New York (they moved there 4 years ago). I knew prices would be rising due to fuel costs, so as soon as flights were available, I found a good deal on United and booked. We paid with our credit card and that has been paid off. Done deal. I thought.

A few weeks later we got an email from Orbitz saying that United had changed the flights. It was just a minor time change, so I just made note of it and did nothing else.

Yesterday we got another email. EEEEEEK!

Original flight was Sacramento to Chicago O'Hare to Syracuse with over an hour layover in Chicago. Coming home was the same, but in reverse, arriving in Sacramento in the afternoon so we could make the 4 hour drive home at a reasonable time.

Our new flight:

Sacramento to LAX (WITH A 36 MINUTE LAYOVER!!!!) to Chicago to Syracuse.

Coming home:

Syracuse to Chicago (5+ hour layover) to SFO to Sacramento, arriving after 10 pm at night. That means we'll need a hotel (possibly 2 rooms, depending on hotel/motel) for the night.

The email from Orbitz says to do nothing if changes are ok. Obviously, it's not, but it doesn't say what to do.

Do I contact Orbitz or United? I DO NOT WANT MY MONEY BACK! I simply want reasonable flights at the price we've already paid. Do they really think they can throw in an extra layover?? 36 minute layover at LAX? Give me a break.

I have a sinking feeling they are trying to force us to cancel and rebook at a higher price (not happening).

What do I do? At that time there will be 7 of us, including a 2mo baby. If we do miss the flight in LAX, I'm sure there will be no way to rebook us all on another flight together (Dec. 23).

Ick. ick. ick. Even though I booked the flight, I don't want to mess with making phone calls. I'll make DH do it on Tuesday (tomorrow is not an option). Would a letter be better? We have time to work our way to the top if need be. Even if I do get it "fixed," will they continue to make changes over the next 5 months until the flight?

Anyone BTDT? Advice? Hugs?

Do I just need a :chillpill: ?

:confused:

Take care of this immediately. The longer you wait, the less flights may be available. Call. Don't waste time with a letter which won't accomplish anything except wasting time with snail mail or 'delete' of an email (cynical tonight-sorry!). Call! Beforehand, though, check several flights to same destination. Maybe you can fly through JFK or EWR instead of ORD. Offer several options if Orbitz doesn't suggest them. You've already been booked and they're not following through on their side of the deal. If you keep a steady, thoughtful, yet forceful voice you just might get there to Syracuse easily anyhow.

:grouphug: So sorry. You will have to do your best to see what changes can be made. We had friends flying that route on United recently and one way was missed connections, closed the gate while they were running to get there...the other direction went ok. I think the short layover in LAX is about impossible. Maybe they can route you through another city since they are the ones that changed the flights. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thanks for the push. I put on my big girl panties :) and got all my email itineraries and stuff together. I checked Orbitz and found some better flights. Then I called DH at work to let him know I would deal with it.

The cust. service call to Orbitz was nice and friendly (the computer actually understood me the FIRST time). Unfortunately, the real-life gal at Orbitz said that United is only open from 9-6 EST, so I'll have to call back in the morning. She did say that they would have to find me something better than a 36 minute layover in LAX.

United is open 24hrs a day in reservations. Here is the number 800-241-6522. The person that rebooked your flights just found the first thing available, not something reasonable. Since so many flight have been cancelled recently they are just putting the first thing they see. I would also do some online research, and let them know exactly what you want. You never have to take what they offer you if you don't like it. Make them find a better flight for you. They made the change not you.

When my flight was cancelled recently, I called my travel agent, and she told me that there was a flight in 1hr that I could get on to make it home. Since the person at the gate disappeared after she said our flight was cancelled, I went out of security, and up to the counter agents. She was able to rebook me,and get my luggage switched over to the new flight. I ran back down to security, and to the gate with time to spare. As I passed my original gate, all of the same people were standing there still waiting for someone from the airline to come and help them. If I had done that I would not have gotten home that night.

Sorry it was so long! Airlines make me mad at some of the things they pull.

Thanks, everybody.

I rolled out of bed at 6:25 this morning and called Orbitz again. I got the drift last night that it wasn't the United reservations that was closed, but the dept. that had to authorize the rescheduling of the flights for free. I don't know.

I was on hold about a half hour total this morning, but the Orbitz rep came back every 2-3 minutes to let me know what was going on, so it wasn't too bad. I was on the cordless phone so I made breakfast in the meantime.

She actually found some "better" flights than I did online last night. The only "bad" part is we have to fly out of the airport by 6:00 going and coming rather than the 8:30-10:00 we had originally scheduled. That means we'll need to be there by 4:00 am (yawn), but with a new baby, my schedule will be unconventional anyway.

We are back to the Sacramento-Chicago-Syracuse route both ways, with 1+ hour layover each way. By leaving earlier, we are arriving at destination earlier, which is a good thing. I'm satisfied....

but...

she said there is a possibility the airline will change flights again.

It was a pretty painless procedure, other than the time I spent fretting over it.