Menu

Calling all piano teachers!

hollyhock

I am teaching my own boys to play piano using Piano Adventures. Since I don't teach any other kids and I can't remember what my own teacher did with me, I have a few questions for the experienced piano teachers among us.

1. At what age/level do you expect kids to learn a new song playing both hands together right away? How long can I let my son learn them hands separately? Or doesn't it matter?

2. At what age/level do you expect kids to have a pretty good grasp of the notes on the staff? When should they be able to sight-read pretty easily? My oldest son can sight-read some of his songs but others are a struggle to learn. However, once he learns them, he usually has them down in a day or two. He seems to have no problems with theory and technique exercises, so maybe I should stop thinking that I am a failure because he can't sight-read as well as I can. :tongue_smilie:

3. Is there a general age or level when it starts taking more than a week to learn a new song? He's in level 2B right now and is usually done with a new song in a week.

Thanks for any input. I wish I could remember my childhood lessons a little clearer!!

Piano Adventures is an incremental method. He should be able to sight read most of each new piece hands together. I think it might help if you walked through it first, made some notes and pointed out any new ideas. Sometimes I have students read hands separately, other times not. He should be working on more than one piece a week or it is too difficult. You might want to look at adding the performance book and other supplemental books that would slow his progress and allow things to sink in. The Piano Adventure catalog has tons of ideas for supplemental literature.

I would let him learn a piece to the 80-90% mark and then add something new. I do this with my daughter at home. If she almost has it in a couple of days, add something else to keep him from being bored.

I add new songs quickly if I have a student that memorizes songs but does not read notes well. Memorizing the songs does not help later when the music gets harder. I add lots of same level supplementary material until that level is up to par and then move on.

As far as how many songs at what age? For very young children we work on two songs a week. For students over the age of seven, we work on 3 or more songs a week. Each song is practiced 5-10 times each practice session.

I am teaching my own boys to play piano using Piano Adventures. Since I don't teach any other kids and I can't remember what my own teacher did with me, I have a few questions for the experienced piano teachers among us.

Piano Adventures is a great series.

1. At what age/level do you expect kids to learn a new song playing both hands together right away? How long can I let my son learn them hands separately? Or doesn't it matter?

I agree with your first post--they should be able to try both hands together their first few practice times, though they will not be perfect, it may be difficult, and they will go slowly with mistakes. Then for difficult parts you can separate the hands in practice time; but much of the song should be attempted with both hands together if possible.

2. At what age/level do you expect kids to have a pretty good grasp of the notes on the staff? When should they be able to sight-read pretty easily? My oldest son can sight-read some of his songs but others are a struggle to learn. However, once he learns them, he usually has them down in a day or two. He seems to have no problems with theory and technique exercises, so maybe I should stop thinking that I am a failure because he can't sight-read as well as I can. :tongue_smilie:

It sounds like he's doing fine--he does know the notes' letter names, and can find it quickly on the piano, when you point to it, correct? Sight-reading ability varies. Just make sure if he has a good ear that you're not playing every piece for him first. He'll copy you more than learning to read the notes for himself. Sight-reading will be improved with more practice, as well as more practice seeing the notes chordally, rather than individually. I agree that if you're just doing the lesson book, at least add the performance book. The only level 2B I have here in Africa is the Christmas book, so I'm not looking at it now.

3. Is there a general age or level when it starts taking more than a week to learn a new song? He's in level 2B right now and is usually done with a new song in a week.

At level 2B, I would think he's moving at a fine pace to take a week for one to two pages each in the lesson and performance books. For more difficult songs, maybe it could take two weeks. But if it takes more weeks for just one to two songs, he needs more time/supplementation on that level. From my personal memories, it started taking longer per song once you get to the intermediate/advanced levels. (level 4 or 5-ish?)

Thanks for any input. I wish I could remember my childhood lessons a little clearer!!

:001_smile:

I don't think it matters. As the music gets more difficult, knowing how to work through a piece one hand and one passage at a time can be very useful. Every concerto I ever played was hours of work on individual passages one hand at a time. So, I wouldn't push this skill. Once he starts reading music well, it should come naturally. If you really want to practice this skill, use music that's a level easier that the one she is playing.

This is all a function of practice time. Kids who practice a lot will get there much quicker than kids who don't, so it's not really about age. I am assuming here that a child is around 6-8 years old.

I am not familiar with Faber and I come from a very different school of music. I dislike method books with passion and I don't think kids need to spend more than a year on them. There is plenty of "real" music written for beginners. I would say after the first year kids should be assigned several longer pieces that might take a month or so to learn. Eventually (ideally in 3 years time) kids should be learning 2 etudes, 2 romantic piece, 1 sonatina (later sonata) and 1 Bach every 5 months (semester).

I hope this helps.