Menu

Ways for kids to "do something to help" those affected by Sandy?

My kiddos (7 & 4) were very nervous about how we might be affected by the storm. We ended up pretty much unscathed, but we've been talking about the East Coast and damage, etc.

They've asked how they can help. Googling this, but would ya help me think outside the box?

TIA!

If they are involved in any particular clubs or organizations that have chapters in the affected areas, perhaps they could reach out via that path. For examle, we attend an American Baptist Church. Today I contacted the West Virginia Baptist Association and asked to be put on the list to be notified when they get a handle on the various needs for AB churches in the affected areas.

The woman who took my call offered to put me on the disaster update mailing list, said that they would be having a conference call tomorrow to figure out what is needed and where, and told me that based on other heavy snow situations that one urgent need would be baby diapers and formula.

So now I can start calling various local pediatricians and asking if they have any formula samples (which they often get by the case) to donate, asking local stores for diapers, asking members of our congregation to have an impromptu "baby shower" after church this coming Sunday to gather more, and then make arrangements for the load to be delivered to the right AB location, or perhaps even drive it over there myself - only a couple of hours away.

Scouts can connect with and help other Scouting families, 4-Hers can help other 4-Hers, Little Leaguers can help other LLers, etc.

I don't know where you are located but if you are in burlington county, NJ, Burlington County College is a shelter for about 150 people.

I am copying/pasting directly from the FB page:

With Burlington County having weathered the storm better than other areas nearby, we are currently hosting 300-400 Ocean County residents in local shelters, one of which happens to be the BCC PE Building. Some of these people have come with nothing more than the shirts on their backs and we don't know yet when they will be able to return home. OEM has requested our assistance in collecting the following supplies for the shelters: toiletries, such as shampoo, soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes, combs, sanitizing hand wipes, deodorant, lotion, feminine hygiene products, baby diapers (any personal hygiene supplies!); towels; clean clothing for any age group; toys and games for kids; blankets and pillows. If anyone was interested in donating, items can be dropped off on the Pemberton Campus, in the Parker Building, Office 413G. You can also donate items to our office on the Mount Laurel Campus in the Enterprise Center, Suite 256 and we will be happy to get the items to Pemberton for you! If you have any questions, please contact our office at 856-222-9311 ext. 2540 or via email at bquintan@bcc.edu.

Robin in NJ