Menu

AoPS with Key to Algebra?

Ds (12) is using AoPS Pre-Algebra this year. It's been a challenge, but he's doing well and I'm happy with how much he is learning and how far he's had to stretch. I also have Singapore DM (couldn't help it :) and I've been looking a little longingly at how straight forward it all is. I'm finding that the majority of the questions in AoPS are thinking questions - which is great - but there isn't much there to just practice the computation end of things.

So I'm thinking of adding in Key to Algebra. I think it would be too much to try do do Singapore on top of AoPS, but I think a couple pages of Key to would really go well with what we're doing in AoPS.

Has anyone done this? I'm still trying to figure out how many Key to books it makes sense to do during pre-algebra. Any ideas?

I would consider all 10 books of Key to Algebra to be Pre-algebra, because it really doesn't get much beyond Quadratics. You might be able to skip the first couple of books-they're mostly doing basic operations, but with a variable added. Book 3 is where it starts to pick up a bit.

I'm also just starting AoPS Algebra with dd11, and I also have the concerns about a bit more basic practice in addition to all the deep thinking.

I've been considering pulling problems out of one of the many other Algebra books I have if she seems to need more practice (I've got Jacobs, Lial's, Foerster's, and DM1 :blush:). I also do have Key to Algebra books, but those are really basic in comparison. And there's always Khan Academy. :tongue_smilie:

We have been using AoPS as a stand alone curriculum since Intro to Algebra, and we found that there is enough practice to develop mastery even for the computational aspect. We once supplemented, in chapter 2 in Intro to Algebra, where we needed additional practice for simplifying algebraic expressions at a point when our kids were prone to careless sign mistakes.

We have since found that AoPS is more than sufficient to develop full mastery and seen no need to add more practice.