Menu

Stealth Dyslexia...diagnosis?

I've had this nagging suspicion that my younger DS (9) my have stealth dyslexia. He is definitely dysgraphic, but is still having issues with writing (reversals, spacing, etc.) that normally indicate dyslexia, along with time, focus/attention. He has no obvious issues reading.

Is this something I mention to the pediatrician to get a referral? Who would we see?

My DS was tested by an educational psychologist who had never heard of dyseidetic/stealth dyslexia, and insisted that the only criteria for diagnosing dyslexia was poor phonemic awareness. :glare:

So although my DS has every single marker for dyseidetic dyslexia, she refused to give him a diagnosis (which the PS said I needed in order to get him accommodations), because his phonemic awareness score was "average." If you are shopping around for an evaluator, I'd ask up front if they can diagnose dyseidetic dyslexia as well as dysphonetic dyslexia.

Jackie

My DS was tested by an educational psychologist who had never heard of dyseidetic/stealth dyslexia, and insisted that the only criteria for diagnosing dyslexia was poor phonemic awareness. :glare:

So although my DS has every single marker for dyseidetic dyslexia, she refused to give him a diagnosis (which the PS said I needed in order to get him accommodations), because his phonemic awareness score was "average." If you are shopping around for an evaluator, I'd ask up front if they can diagnose dyseidetic dyslexia as well as dysphonetic dyslexia.

Jackie

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm pretty sure JHU will test for hidden LD's (we asked for that with my oldest about 7 years ago), but I'm clueless about finding someone locally. I have XP on the SN board.

I would see a neuropsych and rule out vision with a developmental optometrist (as spacing and reversal issues are also symptoms of developmental vision issues).

Do ask on the SN board, as some helpful posters may miss your question over here.

My oldest 4 children have all had appointments with DOs. Everything they can rule out, has been. 9yo DS was my youngest reader, reads fluently (beautifully)...he read better than his older sister, with better comprehension and understanding. Areas of concern are more auditory (he's had those tests, too), focus, time, writing. He was obviously dysgraphic.

You need to find someone who understands how dyslexia can manifest in a bright (or gifted) child.

:iagree: where we are, testers who specialize in gifted kids usually also specialize in 2e. Sometimes you can find such testers recommended on gifted school websites for admissions testing. I would definitely seek someone with extensive 2e experience, as that can make all the difference.

glad that vision has already been ruled out - that simplifies things!

Jackie

Dyseidetic dyslexia is a term that I have only heard used by optometrists in our area at least. That's not to say there is no such thing, but they have not, as a profession, done a good job of documenting it in a way that other professionals find scientifically credible. The research studies, where they exist, lack rigorous design. Most info you will read on it is anecdotal. That is where the disconnect is, not with a neuropsych who is uninformed.

Neuropsychs will nearly always use the definitions in a specific, widely accepted, diagnostic manual. Ours dx'd ds not as dyslexic, but with an LD "Not otherwise specified" (that *is* in the manual) for issues related to vision impacting reading and other academic skills.