Menu

People with hypothyroidism- what to do while waiting for doctor?

I have several other autoimmune conditions but I definitely developed autoimmune thyroiditis this late Summer. I was found to have an enlarged thyroid with nodules but not thought to be cancer. They scheduled me for another ultrasound in March and took some blood tests which the internal med doc thought was fine. It isn't fine at all since with other blood tests and the way I am feeling, I am definitely hypothyroid. My skin has gotten even drier, my hair is falling out in big bunches, and I am hardly able to keep anything straight. I have to bundle up to keep warm in 72 degrees. Anyway, almost a month ago, the internal med staff agreed to give me a referral to an endocrinologist. The appointment isn't until late Dec. In the meantime, I can hardly do anything. My thinking is so muddled. Please tell me anything I can do without a doctor to help myself in the meantime. I will still have to clear it with the coumadin clinic but those CNP are absolutely certain I am having hypothyroid issues since my INR levels are so unstable and that happens when you have thyroid problems.

This is one of the things that drives me nuts about thyroid issues.

Normal thyroid function is a *range*. From 0.5 - 5 if I remember right. And the higher it is, the less the thyroid is working. Just b/c it's w/in normal range doesn't mean it's normal for YOU though.

I've done that song and dance.

Have you asked your dr to prescribe you a low dose of synthroid in the meantime to see if that helps?

My thoughts exactly. A family practice doc could do this for you.

Hang in there, you will get some relief! It may take a few months to get the dosage right, but I speak from experience. :)

There's nothing you can really do. You need to get medicated. Now. It takes 4-6 weeks to see change once you start the medication. I also have to echo that you can be in the "normal" range and still not be normal. Your body has a range it will like best . My endo realized I felt best at the higher end and wasn't happy unless I was really close to that end.

I am thinking about going back to them. Last they checked, my thyroid was normal according to their levels. According to the newer recommendations, it isn't and I know very well that it isn't. My dh and kids think I have gone senile but I know that low thyroid will do the same thing.

Normal is between 0 and 3, but everyone's perfect is different. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis four years ago. The endo wouldn't medicate me even though I was barely functioning because my TSH was 2.6. Six months later it was 3.01 and I got Synthroid. In retrospect, I should have taken the issue to my family doctor. She actually listens to me. I did switch my thyroid care to her last month because I got so frustrated with my endo.

At my last check, my TSH was .42. I feel good between .3 and 1.5.

The best thing I've done besides medication is to drastically change my diet. I recently finished the Whole30 (no sugar, no grains, no dairy for 30 days). My fogginess lifted and my fatigue greatly lessened. My hormones and body feel much more balanced and my metabolism seems to actually be moving again.

I'm now in the process of reintroducing food groups to determine which, if any, I should avoid. So far dairy seems to be fine. I suspect gluten is a problem for me. I'll be trying that next.

:grouphug: It stinks to feel so rotten and not get the right help.

I have several other autoimmune conditions but I definitely developed autoimmune thyroiditis this late Summer. I was found to have an enlarged thyroid with nodules but not thought to be cancer. They scheduled me for another ultrasound in March and took some blood tests which the internal med doc thought was fine. It isn't fine at all since with other blood tests and the way I am feeling, I am definitely hypothyroid. My skin has gotten even drier, my hair is falling out in big bunches, and I am hardly able to keep anything straight. I have to bundle up to keep warm in 72 degrees. Anyway, almost a month ago, the internal med staff agreed to give me a referral to an endocrinologist. The appointment isn't until late Dec. In the meantime, I can hardly do anything. My thinking is so muddled. Please tell me anything I can do without a doctor to help myself in the meantime. I will still have to clear it with the coumadin clinic but those CNP are absolutely certain I am having hypothyroid issues since my INR levels are so unstable and that happens when you have thyroid problems.

Look at Paleo Autoimmune Protocol....also Whole30. It changed my life....and I am finally NOT sick after years and years and years....

You can google search, there are tons of links. Mark's Daily Apple and The Paleo Solution and Whole30 had the best info and links...

Prayers for you.

Faithe

I have hypothyroidism as well as other autoimmune diseases and there really is no reason why a PCP cannot prescribe your medication. I would consider talking to my PCP or the nurse to see if you can get started on something sooner. It is true that every doctor likes to see the values at a different number, which can be frustrating. I schedule my thyroid visits with one particular member of the practice because I know they will keep them at the level I feel best. Trying a gluten free diet can't hurt. I am sure you are desperate enough to try anything. I have celiac which could cause some of the problems you mentioned. My husband was actually the one who diagnosed me with it, but the doctor would not run the test. After several months of gluten free eating, another doctor agreed to run the test and it came back positive.

This is one of the things that drives me nuts about thyroid issues.

Normal thyroid function is a *range*. From 0.5 - 5 if I remember right. And the higher it is, the less the thyroid is working. Just b/c it's w/in normal range doesn't mean it's normal for YOU though.

I've done that song and dance.

Sing it sister!!!

Check out stop the thyroid madness website I've found many answers there.

I thought thyroiditis was temporary? I know someone who had that, thyroid went high and low, and at about six months, it was over. No medication during it.

That's similar to how mine was, but not for everyone. Mine took over 1.5 years to fully go to normal and a little longer for my nodes to go away. But for some, it can usher in or indicate other thyroid problems.

There are many types of thyroiditis, and autoimmune thyroiditis never goes away for many people. That's why it's important to get to an endocrinologist and get a full thyroid panel, including antibody levels.

DD18 was diagnosed with hashimoto's at 15. The pediatrician wouldn't prescribe it due to office policy; "We let the pediatric endocrinologist handle it." Sounds all well and good except that the endo is in town one day a week and the next opening was about 5 mos. out!

So, I asked my GP if she's take her on as her main doctor and if she was comfortable prescribing Synthroid. She was fine with that as long as there weren't complications and if there were, she knows an endo in town who also would see a teen -- and wouldn't take 5 mos. to get in with.

Yes, the "normal" range is not normal for everyone. You'll learn your normal.

So find a doctor that can start you on Synthroid NOW. You can still see an endo in December, but that's too long to wait with the symptoms you're having.

If you go with natural thyroid such as Armour realize that sometimes there are shortages of it and it's not carried at all pharmacies.

We decided to go with Synthroid. We learned that if you should request name brand Synthroid. There are a lot of different generics out there, all with the same active ingredient, with the same amount... BUT, they all use different fillers and binders (the inactive stuff) and they seem to release the medicine at different rates. You might start off on a generic and feel terrific, but in the future the pharmacy might start getting generics from a different manufacturer and, even though it's the same strength, you might feel not so great. Or, you could change pharmacies... Or the generic manufacturer might change their formula. If you stick with Synthroid, you will be able to find a strength that works for you and it should stay the same -- they won't be tinkering with the formula and you don't have to worry about the pharmacy not having it as all pharmacies have name brand Synthroid. For other medicines, like antibiotics or pain killers, generics are the way to go, but ask for namebrand Synthroid.

Take your Synthroid with a full glass of water when you first get up and wait 30 to 60 minutes before eating.

I thought thyroiditis was temporary? I know someone who had that, thyroid went high and low, and at about six months, it was over. No medication during it.

It can be, particularly if it shows up during or after pregnancy. For those of us with an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid, it doesn't go away.