Menu

sewing questions

So I was given a wonderful sewing machine years ago. I played around some and made a few things but most of the time it's in the corner with a pile of 'fix it' items laying on top.

My daughter wants a twirly skirt. The Hannah Andersson one is ok, but then we found this:

http://www.twirlygirlshop.com/

but I don't want/can't spend that kind of money for my daughter's skirt. The plan is to copy this idea but not the reversible part. just the cool twirl.

So now is my confession: I can't read patterns. I have tried. I have even asked the mean ladies in the fabric store. But they aren't helpful. So while I can purchase patterns and cut out fabric I don't always buy what they say and I use my own interesting ways to solve problems. Like zippers ;)

So tonight I cut out panels for a 'twirly skirt'. They are small at the top, all larger at the bottom. I know I am going to sew together and hem bottom but I am unsure how to do the waist. Could I just fold it over some and string elastic through it with those adjustable button hole kind and have two buttons on the side to adjust? (see what I mean by creativity!) I have never sewn elastic into a waist. So this is not clear to me.

And yes, I have searched online for ideas/helpful hints/directions for this darn skirt but I would like free help and not have to pay $20 for a file to tell me how....how do I know that $20 file is going to make a lick of sense? Since I can't figure out normal pattern lingo, lol.

is what I want to make too hard? or over my beginner ability? I am on the right path....and yes, I know I should line the darn thing but I don't know how to do that....who's up for a weekend sewing at my house :D

thanks for any advice on my sewing woes,

Ok, first, I know nothing. I'm late for a machine-kicking appt right now. BUT what I know (nothing) I learned exactly the way you're talking about: the patterns don't make sense (until it's too late, lol), & I make up my own creative solutions. They generally work, & sometimes they even give me some hindsight regarding the original instructions.

So...you've got dd's skirt cut out, right? Not sewn together yet? (Not that that matters.) *I* can't imagine why you couldn't put elastic in the waist, so I'll tell you how to do that (I've only done it once), & pray you get more help.

First, if she has something else w/ an elastic waist, you might see what size elastic is in it, because some widths are more comfortable around the waist than others. This is not a big deal, so if you've already got your elastic, skip this step.

Next, measure your dd's waist. You should cut your elastic to a different length. Hang on, let me google--I can't remember the ratio.

Ok this website: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FL_ST_Construction_2007-104pr.pdf says to use 1" elastic, cut to at least the size of dd's waist. I only skimmed, but it's got what look like easy (& FREE) directions. You could follow just the waist band part.

Anyway, you were right about folding the top under, but you'll want to give it a little fold, & then fold that under, so it looks finished. Does that make sense? Pretty much like the hem, except you want to leave part of it open to stick the elastic in, & you want to make SURE your fold is wide enough for your elastic. (Ask me how I know!)

Then, if you attach a safety pin to the end of the elastic you're threading through, it's easier to work it around. Make sure you hang on to the other end. When you pull the front back out, sew it to the back end, making a complete circle. For smooth elastic, just sew across the two pieces--don't try to match the fronts.

Then stick it back in the hole in the waist band. My mom would usually try it on me one more time at this point, because any mistakes are easier to fix before you close that hole than after. If I remember right, you have to hand sew the hole where the elastic finally goes in, in order to avoid sewing the elastic. Does that make sense?

And I've got pics on my blog of a twirly dress I made for dds, if you're interested. They were so easy, I made ea one in about an hr. No pattern necessary.

GL!

Oh, & get a drawer for your fix-it pile, so it doesn't un-inpsire you to sew! When I did that, I finally got around to mending AND sewing, lol!

Those dressed are adorable. I have some nieces I could make those for...

Aubrey...are you going to post the link for the twirly dresses?

I don't do anything that requires a zipper. I will alter the pattern to avoid those....I know that one day I will need to give it a shot....but that and buttonholes.....:lol:

Those dressed are adorable. I have some nieces I could make those for...

Aubrey...are you going to post the link for the twirly dresses?

I don't do anything that requires a zipper. I will alter the pattern to avoid those....I know that one day I will need to give it a shot....but that and buttonholes.....:lol:

They're on my blog--I think you have to scroll down a little, but they're there. The link's in my signature.

It isn't clear from your post, but what did you cut out? What I mean is, did you cut out a pattern you bought or did you just wing it?

Your idea to just fold over the top will work, but with an elastic waist skirt there is more fabric at he waist than a fixed band skirt with a zipper. The elastic waisted skirt must have enough fabric to make it over the hips.

You can make an elastic casing by using bias tape or a cut piece of fabric rather than folding over. You can also take the elastic cut to size and evenly pin it to the upper edge of the waist, then stretch the elastic (elastic is facing up as you sew) using a zig-zag stitch to catch the edge of the fabric and the elastic. Next, fold the elastic over to the inside so that the elastic is covered and top stitch from the outside, again pulling the elastic as you go.

No, you do not have to line a skirt unless the fabric is too sheer.

There is a simple formula to making an elastic waist, broomstick skirt.

http://www.ericas.com/projects/proj9801.htm

Wildiris

Next, measure your dd's waist. You should cut your elastic to a different length. Hang on, let me google--I can't remember the ratio.

Ok this website: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FL_ST_Construction_2007-104pr.pdf says to use 1" elastic, cut to at least the size of dd's waist.

Actually, you want the finished length of the elastic to be a bit smaller than her waist. Otherwise the weight of the skirt will pull the whole thing down over her hips. Ask me how I know this.

And by "finished length" I'm talking about after you get the elastic sewn together, since you're probably going to overlap the ends and sew the 2 ends together after you thread it through the casing made per Aubrey or Wildiris's directions. So the cut length may well start out the size of her waist, but by the time you sew the ends together it will be smaller.

I have made every mistake imaginable in sewing, often more than once (as in "make mistake, rip out, sew back together the exact same stupid way, rip out again" etc.). I like to think I'm modeling fearlessness to my kids -- undeterred by the fact that I don't have a clue what I'm doing, I continue to try harder and harder patterns. Somehow it's working -- I figure out more and more each time.

Be bold. It's only fabric. It cannot defeat you. The seam ripper is your friend (well, except for that time I accidentally put it through the fabric itself and ripped the fabric instead of the seam, but that's behind us now, right? and I'm sure you're more clever than I about these things).

BTW, when you say the ladies at the fabric store weren't helpful, you gotta know that they don't all know how to sew, especially if you go to a chain like JoAnn's or Hancock's. Some do, some don't.

And, if we come over to help, will there be dessert? Or cookies? I sew better if there's a nice snack assortment.