Menu

Halloween Controversy: What say the Hive?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather give candy to a dressed up teenager than to a dressed up infant in a stroller and I know the parents are going to eat it.[/quote:iagree:

I'm not bothered giving candy to teenagers as long as they're actually dressed up! Sometimes we get teenagers with nothing but a mask, and that doesn't really work for me. Not much effort.

:iagree:

(I didn;t read much past page 1....)

OK, i know it's the next day already, but I would have let her go.

Our trick-or-treat was moved to Saturday due to the storm, and and Diamond already had plans to go to a friend's party. TIming and distance do not allow her to do both. She & her sisters are disappointed- it will be the first year they don;t go out together. :crying:

DH is always the one who takes the girls around- he even dresses up, and people insist on giving HIM, a man in his 40s, candy!

There were quite a few teenagers ToTing in our little towns last night. At one point, I saw one grab a little who was about to cross the street without looking (and possibly get run over, although most people drove slowly last night) and I also saw a teenager give a little some candy when she realized all of hers was getting soaked in the rain.

I was very, very grateful for our teenagers last night.

(I didn;t read much past page 1....)

DH is always the one who takes the girls around- he even dresses up, and people insist on giving HIM, a man in his 40s, candy!

I was just hanging near my kids. I usually didn't even go up to doors. But I still had half a dozen people pushing candy at me.

I'm not offended. I'm just honestly very surprised that someone would give some kids less candy than others. Or that they would admit to it. Halloween is a holiday about making kids happy, and even if they never know they got less candy because their costume wasn't good enough, the attitude behind doing this caught me off guard.

Some kids won't notice, but some probably will.

Tara

We experienced this last night. We went TOT with another family. My girls are 10 and 11 and friend's kids are 8, 11 and 13. My 11 year old was the tallest (about 5'3) and assumed to be oldest. The lady told the girls that olders only got one piece and youngers two. My 11 yo and the 13 yo received 1 piece, the others 2. Honestly, I don't care. It's not my candy to hand out, but until this conversation I'd never considered that some people give different amounts to different kids.

We experienced this last night. We went TOT with another family. My girls are 10 and 11 and friend's kids are 8, 11 and 13. My 11 year old was the tallest (about 5'3) and assumed to be oldest. The lady told the girls that olders only got one piece and youngers two. My 11 yo and the 13 yo received 1 piece, the others 2. Honestly, I don't care. It's not my candy to hand out, but until this conversation I'd never considered that some people give different amounts to different kids.

This may explain why my very tall 12 yo came home with much less candy than everyone else, including his very short 13 yo friend. He's experienced "height-ism" since he was young, though. We keep telling him that it's good to be tall once you're an adult!

Just wanted to share what a friend of a friend posted on facebook. They mentioned that they received a note under their door a few days in advance of Halloween from a neighbor explaining that their teen son was autistic and really enjoyed trick or treating and might be stopping by on Halloween. They asked for some sensitivity regarding his age and the fact that he probably wouldn't say anything or make eye contact. They described his costume so he could be identified.

Everyone appreciated the heads up and thought the parents were super.

Just wanted to share what a friend of a friend posted on facebook. They mentioned that they received a note under their door a few days in advance of Halloween from a neighbor explaining that their teen son was autistic and really enjoyed trick or treating and might be stopping by on Halloween. They asked for some sensitivity regarding his age and the fact that he probably wouldn't say anything or make eye contact. They described his costume so he could be identified.

Everyone appreciated the heads up and thought the parents were super.

Last Halloween my husband's 82 yo autistic uncle told me that he'd never, ever gone ToTing. He spent most of his life in institutions (until we busted him out), and I'm continually floored by the number of things most people take for granted that he never got to do. :(

Anyway, I told him he was welcome to come with us and DD offered to ToT with us instead of her friends. He dressed up as the Lone Ranger, and everyone was sooo incredibly sweet to him! He was so excited and told everyone who answered the door that it was his first time ToTing and he was having so much fun. He got tired after about half an hour, and didn't want to go again this year, but he was so thrilled that he finally got to experience ToTing. This guy has had just the cr@ppiest life ever, and yet he's so sweet and grateful for every little thing anyone does for him. :crying:

Jackie

Last Halloween my husband's 82 yo autistic uncle told me that he'd never, ever gone ToTing. He spent most of his life in institutions (until we busted him out), and I'm continually floored by the number of things most people take for granted that he never got to do. :(

Anyway, I told him he was welcome to come with us and DD offered to ToT with us instead of her friends. He dressed up as the Lone Ranger, and everyone was sooo incredibly sweet to him! He was so excited and told everyone who answered the door that it was his first time ToTing and he was having so much fun. He got tired after about half an hour, and didn't want to go again this year, but he was so thrilled that he finally got to experience ToTing. This guy has had just the cr@ppiest life ever, and yet he's so sweet and grateful for every little thing anyone does for him. :crying:

Jackie

That's so sweet! Thanks for taking him out, and for sharing the story with us.

Jackie

That has got to be the sweetest thing I've heard in a long, long time. Thanks for sharing.