Menu

Humming - Does it irk you?

Yep. Pretty much the same thing you said: I'm fine for a few minutes, but then it becomes a repetitive noise and drives me crazy.

It would be the same with any ongoing noise. It is just too much meaningless input and makes me want to run away screaming.

YES!!!

DD1 has been humming and/or singing since she figured out she has a voice. The other DDs also hum, sing, or whistle filling any time the oldest might leave free, as well as overlapping with each other all doing different tunes! Thankfully, the boy doesn't like it and tells everyone to stop (including me :/), so at least there aren't four filling my house with "music."

Not in the least. Humming means someone is happy. I'll take that to the alternative any day!

:iagree: I was humming when I saw this thread! I hum the music my kid's are learning on their instruments constantly. ETA - at home, in the car, with my family. Not generally out in the world!

Why is it that humming really irks some people? Like me :D I can take it for a few minutes, but when it goes on and on it just really gets on my nerves. It got me wondering how others feel about it.

Does humming bug you or not?

It does not bother me to hear someone humming or whistling happily while doing a solitary task like washing dishes or something. I prefer to hear singing, but the humming is okay.

It does bother me when it prevents conversation. I know a person who hums frequently. This is tuneless humming and comes in the middle of conversation. It feels to me as if it puts a stop to conversation because to speak feels like interrupting the hummer, and yet the humming is not a social activity. This is not a person I can correct, so I grin and bear it. My ds occasionally likes to make nonsense noise, and I DO correct him. I tell him that it is rude to "fill up the air" and leave no room for social interaction when in community with others.

Humming, whistling, tapping, even singing incessantly -- they all really bother me. I'm super sensitive to noise, especially repetitive background noise (I don't keep a TV or radio on) and several of the people in my family do those things often. I wish I knew what to do about it, but so often, I feel like my head is just buzzing, and I can't think straight.

Humming, whistling, tapping, even singing incessantly -- they all really bother me. I'm super sensitive to noise, especially repetitive background noise (I don't keep a TV or radio on) and several of the people in my family do those things often. I wish I knew what to do about it, but so often, I feel like my head is just buzzing, and I can't think straight.

:iagree: Wanna be roommates? :D

:iagree: They only time noises like that become bothersome is when there are 6 people making different noises in the same room. :glare::tongue_smilie:

Or like tonight. My kids were making up songs about bodily noises :lol:

I am pretty sure they were not in the same key :tongue_smilie:

Yes, it irks me, because I am super sound sensitive. So does that smacking, spitty kissy sound actors make kissing each other on tv. I am not a prude...but...cannot.stand that noise.

I think this answers the "why" it bothers some of us. It has nothing to do with not wanting others to show they're happy or whatever. It's the noise.

I don't turn the tv on unless I plan to watch something. I don't turn the radio on, but will choose to listen to songs on my phone. Dh turns them on because he needs the noise.

:iagree: When it gets bothersome I tell my kids they are overstimulating me.

Sometimes I just need a bit of quiet to think or concentrate. Unfortunately, that means I usually wait to do my school reading after everyone has gone to bed, and then it doesn't last too long because I'm tired by then.

Yes! Humming and especially whistling really bother me. I wish they didn't. My DH does it all the time, and it is just an involuntary thing with him, but it really makes me uncomfortable. I feel like I need medication or something. I have to ask him to be quiet, which I feel is sort of sad, he is making a happy noise, ya know? But I can't help it.

I don't need total quiet, but I just can't stand those kind of noises.

I googled this issue, and it seems like it could be a type of sensory integration or processing disorder. Interesting (though I'm glad I'm not the only one). I have no idea how you address that in adults, though. I've always been pretty sensitive to things -- tags on shirts bother me terribly, my skin is very sensitive, my eyes are very light-sensitive, I'm super cautious about textures when eating (though I'm not at all a picky eater). One suggestion was noise-canceling headphones. While that might work for studying, a homeschooling mother of four can't exactly walk around with them on all day!

I googled this issue, and it seems like it could be a type of sensory integration or processing disorder. Interesting (though I'm glad I'm not the only one). I have no idea how you address that in adults, though. I've always been pretty sensitive to things -- tags on shirts bother me terribly, my skin is very sensitive, my eyes are very light-sensitive, I'm super cautious about textures when eating (though I'm not at all a picky eater). One suggestion was noise-canceling headphones. While that might work for studying, a homeschooling mother of four can't exactly walk around with them on all day!

Just last week I told my DH that I would love a pair of the really good Bose noise canceling headphones. The worst time for me is in the car, I like to read and my DH will listen to music and whistle. I can block out any other noise, like kids fighting and baby cries and trains and traffic, etc...but the whistling/humming stuff just gets me. Sometimes I'll wear earplugs and it will help a little bit.

I couldn't wear headphones all day of course, but really my kids don't make too many of the offensive noises. :lol: It is crazy how their LOUD chaos all day doesn't bother me, but a harmless little soft whistle sends me to crazy town.

Just last week I told my DH that I would love a pair of the really good Bose noise canceling headphones. The worst time for me is in the car, I like to read and my DH will listen to music and whistle. I can block out any other noise, like kids fighting and baby cries and trains and traffic, etc...but the whistling/humming stuff just gets me. Sometimes I'll wear earplugs and it will help a little bit.

I couldn't wear headphones all day of course, but really my kids don't make too many of the offensive noises. :lol: It is crazy how their LOUD chaos all day doesn't bother me, but a harmless little soft whistle sends me to crazy town.

:iagree:

I'm another who doesn't mind and does partake. :001_smile:

Years ago I was on a long ride on a slow motorbike in the cold, so distracted myself with loud tuneless continuous singing.

I had a passenger, but knew conversation was impossible.

I didn't realise she could hear my tuneless tunes until we eventually stopped. :blushing:

She said it was OK, it was a like having a happy, retarded child along for the ride.

At a recent teacher-parent interview (language lessons), the teacher commented that my child sang well and obviously enjoyed singing, I thought she meant learning-language songs, until she went on to say that some children found it a bit annoying.

Apparently my child also enjoys just singing or humming while busy at task.

I had to keep a straight face and say I'll talk to her about it.

We are both fiddlers too, we think better when we are doing something.

"In the presence of others, sing not to yourself with a humming voice, or drum with your fingers or feet."

~George Washington from Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior...

and :iagree:

Okay, if I ever do the quote on the schoolroom wall thing, it's going to be THIS ONE! :tongue_smilie:

Not in the least. Humming means someone is happy. I'll take that to the alternative any day!

I usually hum when I'm happy, and so do my kids. It is one of those happy sounds that are usually welcome here. I do have limits such as no humming while you're eating and no humming outside your sister's room while she's doing homework or no humming while sitting in my lap if I'm on a conference call. :D

I think any type of random noise annoys everyone except the person making it: humming, whistling, table tapping, pen clicking.

My dh recently gave up whistling randomly because it bothered me. Now he makes random beat noises with his mouth. :banghead:

I need to post up George Washington's rule. I think I might be turning into a grumpy old woman, because I don't remember ever having this problem before. Either that or dh has found some kind of need to make noise that he didn't used to have.

Edited by Onceuponatime

One suggestion was noise-canceling headphones. While that might work for studying, a homeschooling mother of four can't exactly walk around with them on all day!

I think I might try it anyway.

I don't mind humming or whistling (if it's tuneful), but...tapping, clicking, popping, thumping, ch-ch-ch-ch, boop!-----boop!-----boop!......those headphones sound heavenly right now.

Cat

I only have one child and sometimes the sound of his voice going on and on just about sends me over the edge.

Also my XH and I used to fight horribly over the radio in the car. I could. not. stand it! He wanted it very loud and I hated it. Now if I am alone in the car and I am picking the music I like it loud. I never connected all of this stuff to being Highly Sensitive until very recently when I started reading about it.

Lots of stuff making sense now. Humming doesn't bother me though. Unless it is non musical.