Menu

Tell me about implementing Lively Latin?

Mama_Rana

I just downloaded Big Book 1. There seems to be a lot of choices!

I'm not clear how to work through the lessons.

>Should I go through in page number order, flipping through the sections as I go?

>How long do you spend on LL each day or each week?

I've printed out the introductory stuff and the first 2 lessons and put them into their tabs in a binder. But I'm sorta stuck there. :/

When we used LL I would print out a couple of lessons at a time & put those pages in the front of a ring binder. Behind those pages I put the dividers (lessons, vocabulary, derivatives, history, other) We worked through the pages in order & filed them under the appropriate divider when completed. This made reviewing grammar or rereading the history easy. LL has a nice balance between heavy grammar pages & lighter history / art days if you work through the pages in order. Usually we completed only a section a day (20-30 minutes), but ds#2 has retained more of his Latin than ds#1 did who used Latin Prep. We worked together on Latin. I didn't attempt to make ds#2 do his Latin independently as I wanted to achieve mastery. When you finish what you've printed, simply print the next lesson or two & put it in the front of your Latin binder & you're good to go. I never bothered printing out the answer pages after the first chapter. It was easy enough to bring them up on the computer when we marked our work.

JMHO,

Edited by Deb in NZ

I printed out 1 lesson at a time, and did them more or less in order - but I found it worked best to do ~2 pages of lessons/exercises, then a history or word power page for each session, so I felt free to tweak the order within each lesson to make that work out. It usually fell together pretty easily. I think we spent 20-30 min /day each session, and did ~2 p of lesson/exercise and ~2 p of history/word power each time. Plus chants and vocab drilling.

When we used LL I would print out a couple of lessons at a time & put those pages in the front of a ring binder. Behind those pages I put the dividers (lessons, vocabulary, derivatives, history, other) We worked through the pages in order & filed them under the appropriate divider when completed.

:iagree: Sorry to recommend that you un-file everything you filed, but that's what I would do. It doesn't come pre-separated into sections because you're intended to do the pages as they're consecutively numbered. You file each page when it's finished.

As far as how much to do per day, I think it depends on attention span and interest more than anything else. We generally do two parts per day, where a "part" is one lesson, exercise, or history story, but if attention is flagging or the work is really hard we just do one. If she's flying along, we might do three.

:iagree: Sorry to recommend that you un-file everything you filed, but that's what I would do. It doesn't come pre-separated into sections because you're intended to do the pages as they're consecutively numbered. You file each page when it's finished.

As far as how much to do per day, I think it depends on attention span and interest more than anything else. We generally do two parts per day, where a "part" is one lesson, exercise, or history story, but if attention is flagging or the work is really hard we just do one. If she's flying along, we might do three.

I agree with working to the attention span of your child. That's what we do with most subjects. With Latin, it's important the kids not burn out and retain a love--well, a fondness at least--for what they're doing.

That said, we have everything separated ;)

When we used LL I would print out a couple of lessons at a time & put those pages in the front of a ring binder. Behind those pages I put the dividers (lessons, vocabulary, derivatives, history, other) We worked through the pages in order & filed them under the appropriate divider when completed. This made reviewing grammar or rereading the history easy. LL has a nice balance between heavy grammar pages & lighter history / art days if you work through the pages in order. Usually we completed only a section a day (20-30 minutes), but ds#2 has retained more of his Latin than ds#1 did who used Latin Prep. We worked together on Latin. I didn't attempt to make ds#2 do his Latin independently as I wanted to achieve mastery. When you finish what you've printed, simply print the next lesson or two & put it in the front of your Latin binder & you're good to go. I never bothered printing out the answer pages after the first chapter. It was easy enough to bring them up on the computer when we marked our work.

JMHO,

This is pretty much what we did, but I printed out the whole book and put it into a binder. Then each day I take out a couple of pages for dd to do. I sit with her and help her through whatever she has trouble with. Then she puts them into her binder under the appropriate tabs. We spend 20 minutes on Latin, 4 days a week. Dd usually can get two pages done in a day. I also have her review vocabulary flash cards a few times a week. It's taking us about a year and a half to get through Big Book 1. We started last September and are now in lesson 14.