Menu

Kindle for kids for Xmas?

I'm thinking about getting my kids Kindle Fires, the old version. But it will really add up for 3 kids.

Is it worth it? Do your kids who have Kindles use them a lot? I want my kids to read a lot and not just watch tv on it. Also, is it better to get the one without "special offers". Are the ads even appropriate for kids?

Anything else I should know about it?

My kids got one last year from the grandparents (to share, not one each). It doesn't get used much, honestly. sometimes I'll have my oldest read a book for school on it. But, then, they have itouches, and they seem to prefer those, despite the bigger screen on the kindle.

My boys each got one for Christmas last year. They get used daily for reading, apps, listening to music, and watching videos through Netflix or Prime (the apps and video watching are restricted).

We're very happy with them. They are all linked to my account, so I only have to buy a book once and all 5 can read it. They same thing for music and apps.

We don't have any iThings. They have access to laptops and mp3 players, but the Fires definitely get the most use.

My kids got one last year from the grandparents (to share, not one each). It doesn't get used much, honestly. sometimes I'll have my oldest read a book for school on it. But, then, they have itouches, and they seem to prefer those, despite the bigger screen on the kindle.

What do you think makes the iPod Touch more fun?

I had considered getting 1 Kindle Fire to share but am afraid that would be a bummer. I can't make up my mind.

My boys won one from the library. Eh. If I didn't have the iPad to compare it to, I might think it was really something. They read a bit on it. They use it as a distraction tool on long trips and for fun when we have screens sometimes. But mostly the app selection is so low that I'm very unimpressed. A regular Kindle is much better for reading since the screen isn't like a screen. An iPad or even an iPod Touch is much better for app selection.

I bought my dd8 one for her birthday. She uses it everyday. Prior to this, she and dd11 were sharing use of an ipad. dd8 chooses her Fire of the ipad everyday. Dd11 wants one for her birthday too eventhough she has an ipod. I like that I have better parental controls on the Fire than on an idevice. I have dd8's email and internet turned off . She listens to audiobooks and music, plays apps, reads books, and watches videos on her Fire.

Is it worth it? Do your kids who have Kindles use them a lot? I want my kids to read a lot and not just watch tv on it. Also, is it better to get the one without "special offers". Are the ads even appropriate for kids?

Anything else I should know about it?

I don't know how old your kids are but I love my Kindle touches. What I love is that all they can do is read. My 10 yo now reads nonstop. He ges sucked into the long books he was intimidated to read because of size. He loves his Kindle. My 12 yo has always been a reader and loves it too. My 4 yo has been begging for one too. Lol. I told him when he learns to read I will buy him one.

My parents and we just got our 13 year old one for his birthday. We split the $214 cost. I cannot tell you what he thinks of it as he hasn't opened it yet.

We got the Fire because we wanted flexibility -- apps and movies too. We just cannot imagine spending the cost of a iPad for one of them. I want an ipad, but I havent been bold enough to spend that kind of money yet. When I do get one, I'll share with them. But I also like them having their own device. Eventually, we figure our youngest will want one too.

What do you think makes the iPod Touch more fun?

I had considered getting 1 Kindle Fire to share but am afraid that would be a bummer. I can't make up my mind.

I think it's probably just habit and familiarity more than anything; they've had the touches for a long time. I guess the app selection is probably better, too. Also, they fit in their pockets :)

Also, they fit in their pockets :)

Hmmm. My 8 yr old keeps repeating that he wants something that fits in his pocket. The Kindles will be for a 12, 10, and 8 yr old.

We have a lot of Apple products and we love them, but we don't have an iPod Touch. I wonder if my kids will be disappointed in a Kindle Fire after being used to playing with an iPad.

I'm thinking most practical would be to get them 1 Kindle Fire to share and see if it gets used before buying more. They will argue over it though.