Menu

Sweet deal on TTC's The English Novel

Here is another link for some of their $9.95 courses. Kenneth Harl's Origins of Civilizations and the Art of Public Speaking are both on sale.

I had already purchased the Art of Public Speaking and we are enjoying the fourth lecture. I wish I had these lectures when we did IEW's Speech Boot Camp last year. It would have taken the skill level up a notch.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: Does anyone have the Secrets of Mental Math dvd and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Edited by swimmermom3

Ds enjoyed the lectures. I watched the first few and thought they were interesting too. I need to watch the rest of them! YMMV.

Did you purchase the CD or DVD for the Origins of Great Anc Civ? I have been recycling my weekly catalogs without cracking them open. However, the holiday catalog is going to tempt me. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Does anyone have the Secrets of Mental Math dvd and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Ds enjoyed the lectures. I watched the first few and thought they were interesting too. I need to watch the rest of them! YMMV.

Did you purchase the CD or DVD for the Origins of Great Anc Civ? I have been recycling my weekly catalogs without cracking them open. However, the holiday catalog is going to tempt me. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the feedback on Mental Math. I feel like at that price, one can hardly lose.

With regards to Origins of Anc. Civ., I have the download DVD version that I got a while back as I find the maps to be handy. If you want to get a hard copy, you can use the code: EY6K for $4.95 shipping instead of the usual $10. That code is good through November 1.

Here is another link for some of their $9.95 courses.

I highly recommend this one. My DD15 really enjoyed it - we used it to supplement her economics and she looked forward to watching the lectures:

"Thinking like an Economist: A Guide to Rational Decision Making

Randall Bartlett"

I highly recommend this one. My DD15 really enjoyed it - we used it to supplement her economics and she looked forward to watching the lectures:

"Thinking like an Economist: A Guide to Rational Decision Making

Randall Bartlett"

Thanks! I ended up buying the Economist, Mental Math, and English Novel. Halloween present to myself. :tongue_smilie:

I agree - it's hard to pass up on that price. Thanks for the shipping code too. I may just get a hard copy.

Thanks for the feedback on Mental Math. I feel like at that price, one can hardly lose.

With regards to Origins of Anc. Civ., I have the download DVD version that I got a while back as I find the maps to be handy. If you want to get a hard copy, you can use the code: EY6K for $4.95 shipping instead of the usual $10. That code is good through November 1.

Thank you, thank you! We loved The Art of Reading, and I've been waiting for this one to go on sale. My kids fan-girl Professor Spurgin, lol.

I received the Art of Reading yesterday thanks to a wonderful board member. I think I too am in love with Professor Spurgin and I only just finished the second lecture. Some of my favorite home school resources are the ones that pique my kids curiosity to read a particular work like MCT's materials and TC's Analysis and Critique course. I think this course will do the same.

You all have no idea how many miles of new woodwork I have to paint in Icing semi-gloss. I hope there are enough TC courses on sale.:tongue_smilie::lol:

Thanks! I ended up buying the Economist, Mental Math, and English Novel. Halloween present to myself. :tongue_smilie:

I have the same three in my cart now. :) Trying to decide if I want a hard copy or not? The shipping actually came up $5 for me without a code? Maybe it was due to clicking on the link, not sure.

I have the same three in my cart now. :) Trying to decide if I want a hard copy or not? The shipping actually came up $5 for me without a code? Maybe it was due to clicking on the link, not sure.

That's a good price! I went with digital so I can use my iPad to watch and Shuffle to listen while walking. Or at least, maybe that'll GET me walking. :D

You are right. It must be the link. It is $5 for shipping no matter how many courses you get, which is great since they usually charge $10 per course for shipping.

I'm writing Lisa (swimmermom) an invoice for the $54.80 she now owes me...

;)

:DI am at $34.85 for the Louvre, Mental Math, and the Econ. one. Wonder if dh will fall for the "I can't drive Windows 8. My shopping cart...and Abbey's, got away from me.":tongue_smilie:

You are right. It must be the link. It is $5 for shipping no matter how many courses you get, which is great since they usually charge $10 per course for shipping.

:DI am at $34.85 for the Louvre, Mental Math, and the Econ. one. Wonder if dh will fall for the "I can't drive Windows 8. My shopping cart...and Abbey's, got away from me.":tongue_smilie:

:lol: Worth a try!!

Yes, since the shipping is so low, I am tempted to just get the DVDs. I have held off so many times because the shipping was outrageous. But now I am wondering...is there very much too see...visual aids and the like? Many people listen to the audio, so I was just wondering. I do like the idea of downloading on the iPad...I need to be more decisive. Is there a course on that?? :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Worth a try!!

Yes, since the shipping is so low, I am tempted to just get the DVDs. I have held off so many times because the shipping was outrageous. But now I am wondering...is there very much too see...visual aids and the like? Many people listen to the audio, so I was just wondering. I do like the idea of downloading on the iPad...I need to be more decisive. Is there a course on that?? :tongue_smilie:

Art of Critical Decision Making:D:D:D

It's on sale too.

While you all are here, does anyone have experience with:

Classics of American Literature

Classics of English Literature

Classics of Russian Literature

I am thinking ahead to Christmas.:D

By the way, if anyone is looking for an overall literature course for high school, I have enjoyed Dr. Voth's History of World Literature immensely.

Unfortunately, TTC is a bit short on Eastern literature, but Dr. Voth does a good job of hitting some of the highlights.

By the way, if anyone is looking for an overall literature course for high school, I have enjoyed Dr. Voth's History of World Literature immensely.

Unfortunately, TTC is a bit short on Eastern literature, but Dr. Voth does a good job of hitting some of the highlights.

Oooh, that one looks good. Some overlap with Western Literary Canon in Context, which is what I've been using to frame our lit this year (we'll just be getting through the first third) along with other lectures (mostly Elizabeth Vandiver so far)... Right now I need the Confessions series, but I keep thinking that if I wait, they'll have a better sale. I'll keep an eye out for History of World Lit to go on sale too!

Oooh, that one looks good. Some overlap with Western Literary Canon in Context, which is what I've been using to frame our lit this year (we'll just be getting through the first third) along with other lectures (mostly Elizabeth Vandiver so far)... Right now I need the Confessions series, but I keep thinking that if I wait, they'll have a better sale. I'll keep an eye out for History of World Lit to go on sale too!

Confessions series? Do I want to know? 8Filltheheart told me about the Dante course back when you could get it on sale for around $40. I have not seen it lower than $50 lately. That is definitely on my list. While I have been disappointed with TC's math courses, I have yet to meet a literature course of theirs that I didn't like.

Confessions series? Do I want to know? 8Filltheheart told me about the Dante course back when you could get it on sale for around $40. I have not seen it lower than $50 lately. That is definitely on my list. While I have been disappointed with TC's math courses, I have yet to meet a literature course of theirs that I didn't like.

The Confessions set is the same guys as the Dante set. Darn it! Now I need that one too...

I've been hesitant to try any of their math stuff, but I did order the mental math one that was on sale today -- figured for $10, I couldn't go *too* wrong!

The Confessions set is the same guys as the Dante set. Darn it! Now I need that one too...

I've been hesitant to try any of their math stuff, but I did order the mental math one that was on sale today -- figured for $10, I couldn't go *too* wrong!

Abbey, on that same link, Confessions for the digital CD is $35.

Oh boy! Now I've got a cart that totals $300! Must delete a few things. Argh :glare:

Anyone want to weigh in on which of these is better...

Origins and Ideologies of the American Revolution - deleted this one based on reviews

American Revolution

American Ideals: Founding a "Republic of Virtue"

Edited by shanvan

We are watching the Louvre series currently. I am brand new to TTC courses, but we are enjoying it very much.

I have never used any of the Great Courses and was checking out the website. Has anyone purchased the transcripts for the dvds? Are they worth it?

I have never purchased them; I find that the course guidebooks are more than enough. The one for The Art of Reading, for example, has a section for each lecture that includes scope (summary), detailed outline, suggested reading, and questions to consider. I think they are all set up roughly the same.

Can any of you help me decide b/t audio & video? I can afford more if I go with audio, and it's more portable. But, maybe the video is more appealing? I don't know. A lot of the courses I'm looking at say they will show portraits and stills. Not sure the extra $$ are worth it.

:D

Can any of you help me decide b/t audio & video? I can afford more if I go with audio, and it's more portable. But, maybe the video is more appealing? I don't know. A lot of the courses I'm looking at say they will show portraits and stills. Not sure the extra $$ are worth it.

For me, it depends on the subject, the price, and sometimes the lecturer. On the TC website, after the titles are listed there will be a headset or screen symbol and you'll be told the number of images on the DVD. I find that I usually like DVD for history and math, while I am happy with audio for literature. For the $9.95 sale, all media is the same price, so it doesn't matter.

Then there are lecturers where even if there were no images on screen other than them lecturing, I would still buy the DVD. Professor Thomas Noble (Foundations of Western Civilization) is probably one of my favorites. I could watch that man for hours - and have.

ETA:

American Revolution

American Ideals: Founding a "Republic of Virtue" - This is on sale in either format for the same price, so again it's your call. I am more likely to be listening on the fly and it doesn't look like there is a huge number of graphics. You can usually find clips of many of TTC's lecturers, so check them out when you can. There are a few professors that have mannerisms that I prefer not to see. Peter Mancall on Jon Stewart.

Okay, here is a clip of Allen Guelzo (American Revolution) on Jon Stewart. This will give you a good sense of Guelzo's style. He's got a great voice and it would be a pleasure to listen to him. It is really up to you.

Yes, swimmermom3's idea of nirvana includes Jon Stewart and TC lecturers. Oh the brains.

Edited by swimmermom3

If you have strong auditory skills, the audio is probably fine for most of them. Not for art, obviously, and some of the history ones have a lot of maps.

We prefer video b/c we all find it much easier to focus and pay attention, even though the video in, say, The Art of Reading is hardly critical. Our minds tend to wander with sound only.

:D

For me, it depends on the subject, the price, and sometimes the lecturer. On the TC website, after the titles are listed there will be a headset or screen symbol and you'll be told the number of images on the DVD. I find that I usually like DVD for history and math, while I am happy with audio for literature. For the $9.95 sale, all media is the same price, so it doesn't matter.

Then there are lecturers where even if there were no images on screen other than them lecturing, I would still buy the DVD. Professor Thomas Noble (Foundations of Western Civilization) is probably one of my favorites. I could watch that man for hours - and have.

ETA:

American Revolution

American Ideals: Founding a "Republic of Virtue" - This is on sale in either format for the same price, so again it's your call.

It shows up with different prices when I put it in my cart--DVD 39.95, Digital video download 34.95, CD 24.95

I am more likely to be listening on the fly and it doesn't look like there is a huge number of graphics. You can usually find clips of many of TTC's lecturers, so check them out when you can.

Yes, swimmermom3's idea of nirvana includes Jon Stewart and TC lecturers. Oh the brains.

Thanks! Off to look at clips...

While you all are here, does anyone have experience with:

Classics of American Literature

Classics of English Literature

Classics of Russian Literature

I am thinking ahead to Christmas.:D

I have yet to complete it - there are so many lectures! I've skipped around and watched several lectures. I like the lecturer Arnold Weinstein. I would recommend it.

If you have strong auditory skills, the audio is probably fine for most of them. Not for art, obviously, and some of the history ones have a lot of maps.

We prefer video b/c we all find it much easier to focus and pay attention, even though the video in, say, The Art of Reading is hardly critical. Our minds tend to wander with sound only.

For me it's the opposite. I will listen while driving or while mowing the lawn. But I get very distracted for many of the DVD lectures. There just isn't enough happening other than the lecture. Maybe if I were actually sitting and taking notes it would be different. Or if I had a text that I was annotating as the lecture went along. But to just sit and listen? Ack, hand me the knitting bag.

For an Art course, video is obviously necessary, but I found that I am bored to tears just watching the lecturer lecture on history - plus, we don't have the time to sit and watch lectures. If a course is offered in both formats, there are typically very few visuals. We get audio and listen to it in the car. I have actually returned a history course on video and exchanged it for audio.

For an Art course, video is obviously necessary, but I found that I am bored to tears just watching the lecturer lecture on history - plus, we don't have the time to sit and watch lectures. If a course is offered in both formats, there are typically very few visuals. We get audio and listen to it in the car. I have actually returned a history course on video and exchanged it for audio.

Thank you. This helps. I suspect I would end up feeling the same way, and time is an issue here too. We had a couple of TTC lectures on video from the library, and yes, I thought I'd go crazy having to sit and watch for no real reason (not many visuals and the few that were used were static). Now I feel ready to order!

For us the audio works better - it gives us more flexibility. We can listen in the car while driving to music lessons etc or on trips so that dh can listen too.

Of course, the Art courses or Astronomy lectures make more sense in DVD format. For some reason I purchased the Great Pharoahs of Anc Egypt on DVD and it is still on the shelf in shrink wrap.

I would suggest borrowing a few from the library if you can, in the different formats and evaluating which works best for you and your dc. I usually scan the reviews to see if folks strongly recommend the DVD otherwise I stick with audio.

Thank you. This helps. I suspect I would end up feeling the same way, and time is an issue here too. We had a couple of TTC lectures on video from the library, and yes, I thought I'd go crazy having to sit and watch for no real reason (not many visuals and the few that were used were static). Now I feel ready to order!

Swimmermom, do you have a coupon code and/or priority code to share? I have not yet received my holiday catalog & I'd love to see what else they have on sale.

Priority Code is 70439 and the coupon code is V3NV and that is to buy 3 courses and get 1 free.

My question for their wonderful customer service is if I buy two sets on the sale will they reduce the bill by the lowest priced set.

For today only:75%off the sets and $4.95 shipping. Priority is 62934 and coupon code is EY6K

Priority Code is 70439 and the coupon code is V3NV and that is to buy 3 courses and get 1 free.

My question for their wonderful customer service is if I buy two sets on the sale will they reduce the bill by the lowest priced set.

For today only:75%off the sets and $4.95 shipping. Priority is 62934 and coupon code is EY6K

Thank you!

Why, oh why, did I open this thread? My dh will groan if I order anything else. In the last month, I've bought 3 TTC sets! This is becoming an addiction! ;)

I'd order the Mental Math set, but we already own it (ds loves it). The English Novel set looks really enticing, but I just bought Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition, so I'm not sure I should get another literature course right away. I'm waiting for Western Civ. part 2 to go on sale.

"What to do, what to do?," she mutters to herself. "Oh, maybe I'll get Experiencing Hubble for a Christmas gift!"

Why, oh why, did I open this thread? My dh will groan if I order anything else. In the last month, I've bought 3 TTC sets! This is becoming an addiction! ;)

I'd order the Mental Math set, but we already own it (ds loves it). The English Novel set looks really enticing, but I just bought Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition, so I'm not sure I should get another literature course right away. I'm waiting for Western Civ. part 2 to go on sale.

"What to do, what to do?," she mutters to herself. "Oh, maybe I'll get Experiencing Hubble for a Christmas gift!"

:lol:If you give a mom a TC literature course, then she will need the books to go with them.

It's all a very slippery slope - one which has brought me a great deal of joy - and a slimmer pocketbook.:tongue_smilie:

:lol:If you give a mom a TC literature course, then she will need the books to go with them.

It's all a very slippery slope - one which has brought me a great deal of joy - and a slimmer pocketbook.:tongue_smilie:

Once she has the books, she'll want a cool composition notebook to take notes in.

If you give a mom a notebook, she'll want dry highlighters in three colors and a box of Mirado Black Warrior pencils for notes and annotating.

When she opens the box of pencils, she'll squeal with joy, then say that your pencil sharpener really needs a new blade.

I finally placed my order after agonizing for days. Spent way more than I intended, but I'm thinking of them as early Christmas presents (it's not helping much). I'm blaming Lisa (Swimmermom3). She is a very bad influence...and she had the nerve to be selling some books I needed and bought from her, so she's really cut into my budget this month! JK--she's a great seller and was very kind to me when I goofed up and asked for the wrong book. Thanks, Lisa!

A word of caution--changing your priority code and coupon code will change the prices of items in your cart and you often cannot combine various codes BUT, if you call them, they will combine offers for you.

Once she has the books, she'll want a cool composition notebook to take notes in.

If you give a mom a notebook, she'll want dry highlighters in three colors and a box of Mirado Black Warrior pencils for notes and annotating.

When she opens the box of pencils, she'll squeal with joy, then say that your pencil sharpener really needs a new blade.

:lol:

...and then she'll think she could really use a new electric pencil sharpener, and then she'll go to staples to buy one and notice the super heavy duty 3 hole punch she really could use. And then...

:lol:

...and then she'll think she could really use a new electric pencil sharpener, and then she'll go to staples to buy one and notice the super heavy duty 3 hole punch she really could use. And then...

and then she'll realize that she doesn't have any three-ring binders and that she can combine a coupon and her rewards card to buy a whole box of them in mixed pastel colors.

She won't be able to decide if she should color code by subject or by color, so she'll have to brew a cup of tea and consider her options.

and then she'll realize that she doesn't have any three-ring binders and that she can combine a coupon and her rewards card to buy a whole box of them in mixed pastel colors.

She won't be able to decide if she should color code by subject or by color, so she'll have to brew a cup of tea and consider her options.

While she's brewing her cup of tea, she picks up her copy of Pride and Prejudice to savor Mr. Darcy's proposal and all things Pemberley.

The tea kettle whistles, and with a startle, she realizes her desperate need to buy The English Novel from TTC!