Menu

More than one CTY class?

Whoareyou

I am getting ready to accommodate DS and increase his CTY course load. He is 12 and until now CTY has been more of 'enrichment' and we have been going along with one class at a time. He started about 3 years ago, when he was in '3rd grade' and has worked his way up to Honors Geometry. He also finished all the middle school sciences and 2 computer science classes. Honestly the computer science classes are a PITA and we wont be doing any more of those (at least for a long time)

My question is, DS is asking for more classes. This is something HE wants. I am fine with him taking one class at a time. He is only doing CTY for STEM classes (didn't qualify for verbal). He will be taking Honors Geometry and Chemistry. *I* am the one starting to panic.

Does anyone here have a HG/PG kiddo who is taking multiple CTY classes (or something like CTY). I know I'm new to the 'hive' but I really need some HG/PG support. My kiddo seems to have taken another 'jump' and I'm having a difficult time adjusting. :banghead:

Hi! I'm clearly new to "the hive" as well, but my 6th grader is taking two CTY classes right now.

He only started with CTY last fall, but took two classes at a time during the school year and one over the summer. This fall, he's taking Arabic and Problem Solving in Algebra.

My son is also the one pushing for CTY classes right now. He's speeding through Problem Solving so that he can squeeze the Cryptography course in before Intro to Forensics starts. It's hard to believe that this is the same kid who only agreed to try CTY in the first place because I convinced him it would increase his chances of getting a job with the CIA. :lol:

My question is, DS is asking for more classes. This is something HE wants. I am fine with him taking one class at a time. He is only doing CTY for STEM classes (didn't qualify for verbal). He will be taking Honors Geometry and Chemistry. *I* am the one starting to panic.

Does anyone here have a HG/PG kiddo who is taking multiple CTY classes (or something like CTY). I know I'm new to the 'hive' but I really need some HG/PG support. My kiddo seems to have taken another 'jump' and I'm having a difficult time adjusting. :banghead:

I think your son will be fine taking more than one CTY class at a time, especially since your son is requesting it.

You may want to inquire on the boards about the Chemistry class before you register your son. I thought the Honors Biology class was a great course, but the reviews for the Honors Chemistry class convinced me not to use CTY for chemistry. However, it was more than three years ago, so obviously the program could have undergone changes since then.

Do you mean the CTY Thinkwell courses? We are using online providers for a variety of subjects but not through CTY. I heard that CTY uses Thinkwell so instead of paying for the CTY name and support, I opted to use Thinkwell independently and more affordably through the discounts offered by Homeschool Buyers Coop.

If your son is using the Thinkwell platform, I would love to know your opinion of the Chemistry class at a later point. DS is currently loving the AP Biology lectures. We are pretty loose with structure though so he may not follow the regular pace.

:grouphug: You will always have support here whether or not you are new! :001_smile: Good luck!

If your son is using the Thinkwell platform, I would love to know your opinion of the Chemistry class at a later point. DS is currently loving the AP Biology lectures. We are pretty loose with structure though so he may not follow the regular pace.

Unless the courses have changed in the last few years, CTY uses Plato/Cyber-Ed for biology and chemistry.

Thanks snowbeltmom! Wondering aloud if I'm understanding it correctly. So I think CTY uses Plato for middle school sciences and and high school honors sciences but Thinkwell for AP sciences? I looked at the AP Bio course details here: http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/advanced_placement/ap_biology.html and that seems to closely match the Thinkwell course sequence that DS is watching for fun.

I checked the Honors Geometry link: http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/mathematics/geometry.html

It says under materials that they are using the 2000 ed. of the Jurgensen text. DS is using the 1997 version of the text with his tutor and really enjoying it. It's a proof-based course and absolutely wonderful for a math-loving kid. He will take slightly over a year and not 6 months though :tongue_smilie:. Writing proofs takes him a long time.

If your DS is asking for this Whoareyou, I think he will enjoy it. It has been a very challenging and also very satisfying experience for my guy so far.

If your DS is asking for this Whoareyou, I think he will enjoy it. It has been a very challenging and also very satisfying experience for my guy so far.

is that: he's been very challenged by & happy with the Thinkwell program(s)? just wondering -- am interested in keeping costs down, too :).

is that: he's been very challenged by & happy with the Thinkwell program(s)? just wondering -- am interested in keeping costs down, too :).

Sorry for not being clear, Ana! :001_smile: I was referring to the Jurgensen text for Honors Geometry.

DS really enjoys the AP Bio with Thinkwell...not challenging yet, just plain entertaining for now in the earliest chapters. He had read a number of mass market biology-themed books prior to starting so the level of the content is just about right for now. He did not like Thinkwell's pre-algebra 2-3 years ago. I thought Ed Burger would entice him but he didn't find the math challenging or interesting enough.

Thanks snowbeltmom! Wondering aloud if I'm understanding it correctly. So I think CTY uses Plato for middle school sciences and and high school honors sciences but Thinkwell for AP sciences? I looked at the AP Bio course details here: http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/advanced_placement/ap_biology.html and that seems to closely match the Thinkwell course sequence that DS is watching for fun.

Quark, yes, the middle school and high school programs use Plato as the "spine" with additional lab work and reports. My oldest took many of the classes our first year of homeschooling before I discovered the much less expensive options.

If your kids like science, imo, the CTY on-site summer science classes are definitely worth the money.

Hi-

We don't live anywhere near CTY so online with them is our only option for now.

I know we can do 'thinkwell' indepently but DS thrives on the facilitator interaction with CTY and honestly the $$ isn't 'that much' when compared to - therapy, or trying to find tutors, or moving to a place with a private school that might work. Plus we can get some CTY financial aid.

Yes CTY uses ThinkWell for math in the upper levels. My kiddo is happy with the program. He also needs an actual person to email or call for help. CTY has been wonderful in support. I can probably figure out the answer but I am not the best person to be teaching upper level math at the pace DS needs it.

Science is PLATO. *I* don't like PLATO but then again, I'm not taking the course. DS loves it and loves the CTY facilitators. CTY did make some changes to the science program last year while we were in middle school science. This was not a complete program over-haul but parts of the labs and projects were changed as well as the grading system for these. Again, I'm not the right person to be teaching or creating a science program at this level or this pace. CTY fits DS needs.

I'm going to give DS what he wants/needs once he is done with the Computer Science class. He will be taking math and science. If this gets to be too overwhelming we can always put one class on 'vacation' status.

FWIW - computer science at CTY has been a disaster from day one. The facilitators have been very slow to respond, the classes seem very dated, and the entire experience is not what I expect from CTY. It's not what I expect from Hopkins either.:thumbdown:

Quark, yes, the middle school and high school programs use Plato as the "spine" with additional lab work and reports. My oldest took many of the classes our first year of homeschooling before I discovered the much less expensive options.

If your kids like science, imo, the CTY on-site summer science classes are definitely worth the money.

Thank you snowbeltmom!

OP, it sounds like CTY is a great fit! Half the battle is won when the kids like what they are using. Good for you and your son and good luck!

FWIW - computer science at CTY has been a disaster from day one. The facilitators have been very slow to respond, the classes seem very dated, and the entire experience is not what I expect from CTY. It's not what I expect from Hopkins either.:thumbdown:

If your son wants to pursue computer science further at some point, you may want to try either eIMACS or AoPS computer science classes.