Menu

My crazy blood sugar and pregnancy - any help?

I am about 9w pregnant and type 2 diabetic. My blood sugar is driving me crazy. I will eat something like an egg with some cheese and a sandwich thin (just one half) and my blood sugar will shoot up to like 150. I need to maintain it below 130 after meals. Then about an hour later it will be 60 and I will start crashing. When I get below 60 I get shaky, sweaty and then I go into carb overload because a crash is the worst feeling ever.

I'm so afraid my A1C is going to shoot up and then I will get so many lectures. I'm trying so hard. I even left the bread out once and it took me almost two hours to get my blood sugar up from the 60s.

I should be able to have (with my insulin) about 30-40 carbs a meal. I try to go lower, but during my pregnancies I've never been able to successfully do it. If I don't get at least 30 carbs my blood sugar goes too low.

I also have to be on crazy amounts of insulin when I'm pregnant. Right now I'm at 50-60 units in the morning and around 40-50 at night. As the pregnancy progresses it will probably go higher. This is the mix. With Lily I was on so much (I don't remember how much) that I was having trouble getting my prescription filled at the pharmacy. I ate great with her. Mostly salads, fruits (that don't seem to affect my blood sugar) and some dairy and protein. I maintained an A1C of a little over 5 and she was 7 pounds. I worked hard for that and I'm willing to work just as hard for this baby, but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Any help? I plan on talking to my OB and the high risk consultant. The problem there is they just tell me to eat better. Or that's what they did last time. I still have all of the information I was given by the nutritionist when I was pregnant with Lily and I'm trying to follow that.

I have not gained but about 2-3 pounds and that varies depending on the day, but I'm really getting rounder in the waist. My clothes don't fit anymore. This is my 4th pregnancy, but two did not make it past the 6 week mark and one made it to 10 weeks but was ectopic. I try to do some walking every day, but I'm already experiencing some horrible round ligament pains and my back has been achy for two weeks. I can usually make it around the block though, before it gets unbearable.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am totally open. Thanks, I'm very frustrated. I just want a healthy baby I don't care if that means I have to live on card board for the next 7 months.

get a consult with a nutritionist. My glucose levels were crazy during pregnancy as well. Morning super lows, after meal highs, just all over the place. I had to work very closely with a nutritionist as well as my mfm docs to keep everything stable. We were making adjustments very often, sometimes, every couple weeks. I do remember third trimester having to get up in the night to eat because the baby was growing so much. Diabetes is difficult during pregnancy. Again, see a nutritionist and a MFM doc to get a plan.

Are you seeing an endocrinologist? This is a dangerous situation. Can you lower the insulin? I read that it increases the chance of hypoglycemia (below70).

Hope you get it under control. Diabetes and pregnancy is tricky. I had GD with my son. I can't imagine starting out with diabetes.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted as to what the dr tells you.

… Any help? I plan on talking to my OB and the high risk consultant. The problem there is they just tell me to eat better. Or that's what they did last time. I still have all of the information I was given by the nutritionist when I was pregnant with Lily and I'm trying to follow that. …

get a consult with a nutritionist. …

Maybe you can keep a food diary and list exactly

• what you eat

• how much of each food

• what time you eat, etc.

• Also include your glucose levels and the time of the reading.

• Record your weight (once a day 1st thing in the morning, with approximately the same clothes).

• Include whatever exercise you are able to get in, the time you exercise, how long you exercise.

If you are told to "eat better", show your food diary and ask for specific recommendations. ("Eat better" is pretty useless advice!)

Best wishes.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: