Menu

Desperately need laptop advice......

The computer I currently use is a 2005 Dell with XP. We also own a 2010 Dell with Windows 7 which is what ds uses for all of his schoolwork and a couple of his online classes. We recently had a problem with a virus on the newer computer and in the process of getting that fixed I ran into this info on the Microsoft support site. It stated: Important notice for users of Windows XP with Service Pack 3: The support for this product ends April 8, 2014. To ensure that you will receive all impt security updates for Windows you need to upgrade to a later version such as Windows 7.

It doesn't make sense to update an OS on this old computer so I've toyed with the idea of getting a laptop. However, every time I decide to get one, I chicken out after the reading the negative reviews on various ones. Please don't suggest a Mac - that's out.

I feel a sense of urgency at this point because I think I want one with Windows 7 and all of the newer ones will have Win 8. I'm old and not particularly techy and don't want to deal with the changes that Win 8 will require :tongue_smilie:.

I was hoping to wait until some Christmas deals but I'm afraid I won't find any left with Win 7. Sooo... do you have any advice? I am looking for a basic laptop. I have read mixed reviews of Dell and HP. I will most likely get one from Costco but their selection is limited so I'm stuck with Dell, HP or Acer. They have a few on sale until 10/31/12.

Thanks for reading this far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well I wanted to tell you mac. :D Since you said that's OUT, I suggest you go to Best Buy and get an Asus with quad core. Asus is sort of a sleeper brand with a good reputation. It gets mentioned here on the boards too. Our friends got an Asus laptop because their company uses Asus at work. The geek guy at Best Buy told me quad core is the way to go to make sure it lasts a while. (it's the processor, dual vs. quad) Buy extra RAM to max it out. When I was still back in the dark ages using Windows (haha), I installed my own RAM. It's not that hard. Actually, I've done it on my mac too.

The bug thing is why I'll NEVER go back to Windows. It's just SICK to have to deal with that. I hope you get through it soon and find a new beast you like! :)

My kiddo has ASUS. I never heard of it until his old computer fried a hard drive and we were in panic mode over online classes and one laptop. :scared:

The man in the blue shirt - my love at best buy - lol, saved the day. More memory, a faster do-hickey, a huge screen. 2 hrs of updates . out. of. the. box. and he was ready to go. Because, of course, adobe was lacking, there was no printer driver, microsoft was upset, google was lost, sheezez.

My kid loves his machine, it goes everywhere, the internet is fabulous!

ASUS all the way!!

Thanks ladies. All of the ASUS laptops I've looked at recently already had Win 8 loaded on them. My dh stopped by Costco last night on his way home from work and they had an Acer V5-571-6726 that was $150 off until yesterday. He called me and we decided to go ahead and purchase it. We won't open it until we've decided for sure. Costco has great customer service with a 90 day return policy for computers.

Does anybody know much about the Acer brand and/or this particular model?

Also, should I go ahead and get a square trade warranty. Dh said that the check out lady said we could add it within 30 days of purchase. We didn't want to buy it until we knew for sure we were keeping it.

BTW, Elizabeth...I was hoping I could just by-pass a laptop and get a refurbished iPad down the road but being able to use Word and Excel is more of a priority for me right now than having a new toy. ;)

Thanks helping this non techy.

The computer I currently use is a 2005 Dell with XP. We also own a 2010 Dell with Windows 7 which is what ds uses for all of his schoolwork and a couple of his online classes. We recently had a problem with a virus on the newer computer and in the process of getting that fixed I ran into this info on the Microsoft support site. It stated: Important notice for users of Windows XP with Service Pack 3: The support for this product ends April 8, 2014. To ensure that you will receive all impt security updates for Windows you need to upgrade to a later version such as Windows 7.

It doesn't make sense to update an OS on this old computer so I've toyed with the idea of getting a laptop. However, every time I decide to get one, I chicken out after the reading the negative reviews on various ones. Please don't suggest a Mac - that's out.

I feel a sense of urgency at this point because I think I want one with Windows 7 and all of the newer ones will have Win 8. I'm old and not particularly techy and don't want to deal with the changes that Win 8 will require :tongue_smilie:.

I was hoping to wait until some Christmas deals but I'm afraid I won't find any left with Win 7. Sooo... do you have any advice? I am looking for a basic laptop. I have read mixed reviews of Dell and HP. I will most likely get one from Costco but their selection is limited so I'm stuck with Dell, HP or Acer. They have a few on sale until 10/31/12.

Thanks for reading this far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ladies. All of the ASUS laptops I've looked at recently already had Win 8 loaded on them. My dh stopped by Costco last night on his way home from work and they had an Acer V5-571-6726 that was $150 off until yesterday. He called me and we decided to go ahead and purchase it. We won't open it until we've decided for sure. Costco has great customer service with a 90 day return policy for computers.

Does anybody know much about the Acer brand and/or this particular model?

Also, should I go ahead and get a square trade warranty. Dh said that the check out lady said we could add it within 30 days of purchase. We didn't want to buy it until we knew for sure we were keeping it.

BTW, Elizabeth...I was hoping I could just by-pass a laptop and get a refurbished iPad down the road but being able to use Word and Excel is more of a priority for me right now than having a new toy. ;)

Thanks helping this non techy.

Right now the ipad3 refurbs (which are actually BRAND NEW, shipped direct from China, being clearanced to make way for ipad4), are $379. Then you can get the apps for the apple equivalent of Word (Pages) and Excel (Numbers). My dd is just starting to use Numbers to graph her science lab data. I'm such a dingdong, I hadn't even thought to have her try on the ipad! Thanks for the inspiration! Oh, so anyways, if you've been wanting an ipad, that $379 is a terrific deal. Or wait for the ipad4 to go refurb. Probably by January there will be ipad4 refurbs. At that point they'll be $460 base model. The wifi is twice as fast in the ipad4, so it's worth holding out for if you do a lot of stuff with wifi (surfing, whatever). I don't, so it doesn't matter for us. We only use the wifi when we travel and need maps or something.

What's awesome about apple stuff is it just WORKS. I opened my imac up, plugged it up to the internet, and the thing just WORKED. I did nothing. It's the perfect computer for technophobes. No bugs, no viruses, no checking this or that. It just WORKS. One day treat yourself and convert. :D

Anyways, I hope your new computer is marvy for you! I'm sure it will be. It's astounding to me now how you can walk in and get something fully functional for such a small amount of money (comparatively). Remember back in the day when we had to spend $1K and got something pokey? Now they're all fast and all work. So cool, glad you got one. Hope it's awesome for you. :)

Thanks for the iPad info. It looked pretty cool in your hands at the Cincy convention ;)

Right now the ipad3 refurbs (which are actually BRAND NEW, shipped direct from China, being clearanced to make way for ipad4), are $379. Then you can get the apps for the apple equivalent of Word (Pages) and Excel (Numbers). My dd is just starting to use Numbers to graph her science lab data. I'm such a dingdong, I hadn't even thought to have her try on the ipad! Thanks for the inspiration! Oh, so anyways, if you've been wanting an ipad, that $379 is a terrific deal. Or wait for the ipad4 to go refurb. Probably by January there will be ipad4 refurbs. At that point they'll be $460 base model. The wifi is twice as fast in the ipad4, so it's worth holding out for if you do a lot of stuff with wifi (surfing, whatever). I don't, so it doesn't matter for us. We only use the wifi when we travel and need maps or something.

What's awesome about apple stuff is it just WORKS. I opened my imac up, plugged it up to the internet, and the thing just WORKED. I did nothing. It's the perfect computer for technophobes. No bugs, no viruses, no checking this or that. It just WORKS. One day treat yourself and convert. :D

Anyways, I hope your new computer is marvy for you! I'm sure it will be. It's astounding to me now how you can walk in and get something fully functional for such a small amount of money (comparatively). Remember back in the day when we had to spend $1K and got something pokey? Now they're all fast and all work. So cool, glad you got one. Hope it's awesome for you. :)