Menu

Need input re: World History curric options

Which WH curric and assignments should I use?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which WH curric and assignments should I use?

• Notgrass - additional reading only
    • Notgrass - reading + Nation Project
    • Notgrass - reading + 1 of his choice
    • BJU Ă¢?? reading + writing assignment
    • BJU Ă¢?? reading, no writing
    • Obligatory other

I desperately need some input on a new world history curric for DS. Creating my own curric is not an option, and DH wants it to be Bible-based, so that leaves me with either Notgrass or BJU.

Will those of you that have used these currics please chime in with your opinions? I'll need to buy soon, esp if I go with Notgrass.

Some items to note:

• DS thinks he'd prefer BJU b/c it's more colorful than Notgrass.
  • He uses BJU for grammar and is familiar with their format.
  • I already have Notgrass Government for future use.
  • I don't know if one provides stronger history than the other.
  • I found Notgrass used for $50ish, but only retail for BJU.
  • I can borrow all but 2 of the books for Notgrass' additional reading from the library.
  • I don't know what BJU includes for additional reading or writing assignments, since the online samples are not the greatest.

Here's what we've already got scheduled for the year in regards to reading, research, and writing:

• English Lit
    • Grammar

• - BJU W&G 8 (1 chapter/2 weeks, all year)
    • NaNoWriMo YWP - prewriting workbook (Oct), writing (Nov), editing (2 week blocks, Jan-Mar)
    • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - vocab, write a new fantasy in the same style and tone as the original (1 wk, Dec)
    • The Outsiders - vocab, book/movie analysis worksheet (2 wks, Jan)
    • The Taming of the Shrew - vocab, discussion, short essay (2 wks, Feb)
    • Animal Farm & Fahrenheit 451 - vocab, discussion, movies, and a compare/contrast paper between the books and today's society (2-4 weeks, Mar-Apr)
    • Edgar Allan Poe unit study - variety of stories, poems, assignments (TBD, Apr-May)
    • Four "free reading" books of his choice (no discussion)

[*]Earth Science - each topic includes research and presentation or paper (all year, working at his own pace, no more than 1wk/project)

• his birthstone (he's starting this today)
    • a natural disaster in recent history
    • modern techniques to prevent natural disasters
    • modern area of astronomical study
    • environmentalist groups and how they operate (opinion paper)
    • corporations and environmental practices
    • controversial issue to debate

My biggest concern is whether his current english and science currics combined with Notgrass would be "too much". He's just broken through a major mental block and things are clicking better, but I don't really know at this point whether Notgrass would be overwhelming or if he could juggle it without too much difficulty. He struggles with writing so I don't want to bog him down, but he really does need to work on improving his writing skills.

So will the Hive please chime in?

I didn't vote, but we are using Notgrass World History this year. My ds is only doing the reading, not the Nation Project or the writing. He's doing the bulk of his writing in other areas and I didn't want to overload him there. The reading is definitely manageable for him at this point. They usually give 2-3 weeks to read a book, and I know he doesn't have to read on for the next 5 weeks at all.

Cindy

My dh is a history buff and high school history teacher, so I think his opinion is to be considered. He read through samples of Notgrass online when I was trying to choose a text for dd, and he said it was not well written and that he would not want dd using it for her high school text.

I would use BJU without writing, but use their activities book. It is awesome! It has maps and charts to complete, timelines to fill in, and lots of things to read and write discussion type answers.

My ds is using Notgrass World History as a part of MFW. Dd has used Notgrass American History in the past. The reading in World seems less than American (that's a positive; dd loathed it, I think it made her hate reading).

Notgrass writing is very light. While there are assignments, there is no instruction. It would not be of any help to your ds's writing skills without significant input from you. I'd skip any Notgrass English and stick with your current plan.

Regarding content, I'd be comfortable with either.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably go with BJU because your ds thinks he'd prefer it, and because he's familiar with the format. Also, after knowing how dry/boring/long my dd found the Exploring America text, I'd be reluctant to put my son through the same thing once he finishes EWH.

My dh is a history buff and high school history teacher, so I think his opinion is to be considered. He read through samples of Notgrass online when I was trying to choose a text for dd, and he said it was not well written and that he would not want dd using it for her high school text.

I would use BJU without writing, but use their activities book. It is awesome! It has maps and charts to complete, timelines to fill in, and lots of things to read and write discussion type answers.

It looks like the student texts have the activities included, is that correct? Do you think it includes enough geography to give at least a 0.5 credit in it?

Try looking at BJU samples on Christian Book or Rainbow Resource. They actually have a few samples of the activity books on CBD.

Ah, this is what I needed! I had seen a few other samples elsewhere, but it seemed like all of them were of chapter 1, which is much less than helpful. LOL

My ds is using Notgrass World History as a part of MFW. Dd has used Notgrass American History in the past. The reading in World seems less than American (that's a positive; dd loathed it, I think it made her hate reading).

Notgrass writing is very light. While there are assignments, there is no instruction. It would not be of any help to your ds's writing skills without significant input from you. I'd skip any Notgrass English and stick with your current plan.

Regarding content, I'd be comfortable with either.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably go with BJU because your ds thinks he'd prefer it, and because he's familiar with the format. Also, after knowing how dry/boring/long my dd found the Exploring America text, I'd be reluctant to put my son through the same thing once he finishes EWH.

Dry is not good. That's why we scrapped the first text. I tried to get DS to read the samples online, but he was more concerned about one being in color and the other only in b/w. :glare:

I swear history is going to be the death of me!

Forgot to ask...

Do you think the chapter review questions would be enough for quiz/test purposes or would you recommend getting the test booklets as well?

Forgot to ask...

Do you think the chapter review questions would be enough for quiz/test purposes or would you recommend getting the test booklets as well?

I do not have a student textbook here, but I do have a separate activities manual. The activity pages are in the textbook itself, though. I am using Biblioplan (BP) and started last year using BJU, BP's Companion, and Glencoe's World History. It was really more than dd had time to do, and the Companion is required for the rest of BP's high school program as well as being Christian (weekly work, maps, and tests). I had her choose between BJU and Glencoe, and she loved Glencoe and went with that. I actually ended up selling my textbooks to a friend who teaches at a Christian school.

I don't remember what type or how many chapter review questions were in the textbook. The activity pages do have some for every chapter. If you can't find what you need online, you might try calling and asking them to look through the book and give you more information. Do you have a local consultant you can purchase through? I have one locally that works through this site, Homeworks by Precept.

As far as geography, no, I don't believe it is enough for a half credit by itself. There is only one map per chapter (sometimes 2). My dd has used BP for 2 years, which includes weekly maps, including geography terms and info, and unit geography tests. I am also having her work through Glencoe's Geography book this year. I plan on giving her 1 full credit for it all. We like Glencoe, and dh teaching at a public school has provided a great source for free textbooks. The departments always had extras and free samples brought by consultants.

Any recommendations for easy, little to no fuss geography that can be added on without spending $$$? I don't mind splitting it up over 2 years and integrating with world/us history courses. I don't mind doing some planning and creating to incorporate geography if it means not purchasing a separate course.

Any recommendations for easy, little to no fuss geography that can be added on without spending $$$? I don't mind splitting it up over 2 years and integrating with world/us history courses. I don't mind doing some planning and creating to incorporate geography if it means not purchasing a separate course.

This is the Glencoe book that I'm using with dd. Some of the used copies look cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-World-Geography-Student-Edition/dp/0078606993/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1351630649&sr=8-3&keywords=glencoe+world+geography

You can find a lot of free activities including chapter quizzes at this site.

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078606993/

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to point this out, but you're not going to have *time* most likely to do a ton of geography on top of the BJU world history. We're doing it this year (dd13, 8th gr). The student activities book is fine. (not stellar to dd, but she's not a workbook person) What we're doing, and what you might consider doing, is spreading the text over two years. In current (3rd) edition, it's actually 2 volumes. I think I saw samples up for the 4th edition something or other, maybe the tm? I'm *thinking* that what I compared was pretty similar. I think they rewrote the 1st chapter (which is pretty awful in the current edition, frankly). And of course they tweaked the stuff at the end. If you're not starting till next year or don't need it till all the new components come out, I'd get the newest edition. That way you'll have the best resale value.

I like the BJU tests btw.

As far as how my student interacts with the text, I make her outlines and she fills them in as she reads. In an ideal world we discuss using the tm. I try to help her connect with topical books to extend things. The extras in the tm as far as projects and readings are quite limited. There's really a LOT of meat in the text, and that frankly is where the emphasis is. It takes a lot of time to read the sections and really understand the flow of the arguments, and that just doesn't leave a lot of time for extras. It's why I'm suggesting you might like to spread it over two years and flesh it out with extras, if that's your ds's preference. You could call the first year world history and the 2nd year Modern History or something. When I was in high school we had courses like that. That would give you time to flesh it out like you're wanting.

I have the Glencoe geography text. I'm sort of so-so on it. BJU's geography appeals to a certain type of student, but I couldn't get *my* particular student to bite. I had dreams of hitting geography as we went through the history chapters, and there's just no time. But maybe your student is faster or something.

I have a couple of the Spielvogel texts and the tms for the Tut version and something else. They're each unique. I can't say the BJU version is as flashy or multi-cultural or as into *cultural* history as the secular texts. However it is distinctly christian (something that mattered to us) and authored by someone who had a PhD in history and clearly loved it. I don't know if that makes sense, but that love comes across. My dd actually *enjoys* the BJU history text and finds it engaging because the authors voice and humor comes through. And of course it's just plain solid on content. I read it, make her outlines, and when I try to grade the tests I'm totally flummoxed, lol. There's a LOT of content there, lol. She does fine, but she likes history. Me, I was left begging my SIL for the answer key for the crazy tests after the first week! :D

Did that even answer your questions? My advice is yes use the BJU text, get 4th edition if you're buying new, and consider spreading it over two years. Given how your ds seems to be enjoying your science approach, I suggest you slow the BJU world history down to 2 or 3 years (think, you could solve your problem for 3 years!), have him outline as he reads, and have him do short compositions on rabbit trails that interest him. I think this will give you the writing you're looking for and follows a pattern you already use successfully. The tm is quite good for their history and has discussion points enough that I think you'll find it easy to help him research and discover rabbit trails to read and write about. In fact, I like that idea so much, I'm wondering why I'm not doing it myself, duh! It's probably because I spent so many years trying to DIS-connect writing and history for my poor history-lover child. Now writing is coming easily for her, and it hadn't occurred to me how conveniently we could connect them. The framework is there and the BJU text will make it easy for you to find those rabbit trails to pursue I think.

I hate to point this out, but you're not going to have *time* most likely to do a ton of geography on top of the BJU world history. We're doing it this year (dd13, 8th gr). The student activities book is fine. (not stellar to dd, but she's not a workbook person) What we're doing, and what you might consider doing, is spreading the text over two years. In current (3rd) edition, it's actually 2 volumes. I think I saw samples up for the 4th edition something or other, maybe the tm? I'm *thinking* that what I compared was pretty similar. I think they rewrote the 1st chapter (which is pretty awful in the current edition, frankly). And of course they tweaked the stuff at the end. If you're not starting till next year or don't need it till all the new components come out, I'd get the newest edition. That way you'll have the best resale value.

Thanks for the review on BJU. History - of any kind - is a check off the box subject for DS. The sooner he can complete the needed credits, the happier he'll be.

We ended up ordering this workbook for geography, paired with a McNally Answer Atlas. I don't care if he ever memorizes a zillion facts and figures, but I don't want him so ignorant that he thinks Sri Lanka is part of Switzerland either. LOL

I think we'll go with BJU just because it's his preference, and when he starts whining about how much work it is, I can remind him that he picked that one. :laugh: I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm looking for a used 3rd edition since we plan/hope to get started on it no later than mid-January. Only the student text is available in 4th ed, and the tests/TM won't be available until next summer according to their website.

Yeah, the 1/2 pages were what sold me on it. Now that I have it, I'm even more impressed.

It's pretty in-depth coverage though, or at least IMO it is. Each continent includes political and physical geography, bodies of water and islands, capitals, and Where Am I? sections where it gives coordinates and you have to figure out what's there. Different continents also include population, climate, languages, wildlife, time zones, trade/money, diet, people/culture. The activities include fill in the blank (with and without word banks), fill in the missing letter, multiple choice, word finds, crosswords, circle things from lengthy lists, T/F, short answers, and matching. There's even a Venn Diagram for one of the European activities. The maps aren't easy to read though, so I wouldn't rely on those to be able to provide all the answers, unless you have a well lit area and magnifying glass available. The answer key can also be removed from the book.

DS will definitely have to do research to find the correct answers for many of the activity pages. For example, the activity "Languages of S. America" lists 7 different languages across the top, and 13 countries going down. The student has to write the name of the primary language/s spoken in each country.

I tried to take pics of the TOC but they didn't come out well. I can scan the TOC on Monday if you want to preview it.

DH is driving me crazy about the BJU text though. I found a full set in like-new condition for almost half off, with a 2 week delivery time, and he says "not now". UGH. When I end up paying full price for a soon-to-be outdated curric, I'm going to remind him of this moment!

So why is MFW not an option? Epikardia also has a Christian worldview.

I'd love to use MFW. My best friend has used it with her kids for years and raves about it. When we started hsing, it was the first thing I looked at. Unfortunately, it's way out of our budget and not justifiable when I only need a history curriculum.

Epi kardia looks good, but I'm not sure DS would actually read many of the books. He doesn't care for non-fiction in general, and right now we're still at that stage where if it's not something he wants to read, he won't read it. I'm hoping he gets past that stage by the time we reach American Lit in a couple years.

My plan was to use BJU in the current 2 book edition and do one book 9th grade and one book 10th grade. I would suppliment with literature and writing. She would get 1 credit in Ancient History and 1 Credit in World History.

However, dd has discovered the Scott Foresman literature books and loves them. We are currently working through Patterns. I own Traditions and we will do that next year in 9th. So, I'm not sure where that leaves me with the BJU plan of combining history and lit. Perhaps we will use the new edition and omit additional literature. Perhaps we will just stick to the original plan and call the extra reading history and not literature. I don't know yet.

So she likes the SF lit? Cool! Any isbns so I can take a look? Is that the one Janice mentions? :) The BJU lit sucks. That's not nice to say but if you actually like to read it's pretty lame. So if you were thinking BJU lit plus BJU history, I wouldn't bother. The lit you add onto the BJU world history can go a lot of directions. You could do cultural history with a variety of levels of resources, GB, historical fiction. Lots of ways to go there. We're doing the 2nd volume this year, and really the GB and period lit are just a bit much for this age. We're mainly reading cultural history works with it (Sun King, etc.). But by 10th, yeah you could get into it. There's a LOT of meat there.

So I guess what you label your reading will depend on what direction you go. If it's cultural history, then wrap it in with your history credit. If it's GB, then it goes toward your lit.

So she likes the SF lit? Cool! Any isbns so I can take a look? Is that the one Janice mentions? :) The BJU lit sucks. That's not nice to say but if you actually like to read it's pretty lame. So if you were thinking BJU lit plus BJU history, I wouldn't bother. The lit you add onto the BJU world history can go a lot of directions. You could do cultural history with a variety of levels of resources, GB, historical fiction. Lots of ways to go there. We're doing the 2nd volume this year, and really the GB and period lit are just a bit much for this age. We're mainly reading cultural history works with it (Sun King, etc.). But by 10th, yeah you could get into it. There's a LOT of meat there.

So I guess what you label your reading will depend on what direction you go. If it's cultural history, then wrap it in with your history credit. If it's GB, then it goes toward your lit.

I would chose what literature we would read, not use BJU lit. I loved BJU reading up until 7th grade, then it just didn't fit our style any longer. I believe the ISBNs I have are the ones you mentioned. I have not tried to do a search on the new forum yet, so I'm not sure how to find them again.

Holly, thanks I was able to find them and got some stuff ordered! It's time to take a look at some alternate options. Janice's method of using the text as a springboard to longer works is intriguing. At this point I can't even tell what's WRONG with what we're doing. We just know it is, lol. There's totally no joy in the selections, the approach, the discussions, etc., and it's just a mess on a lot of levels (dark, disinteresting, mono-focused, no context). It's like there's no LOVE. We're hoping maybe these SF books have some LOVE, mercy.

Holly, thanks I was able to find them and got some stuff ordered! It's time to take a look at some alternate options. Janice's method of using the text as a springboard to longer works is intriguing. At this point I can't even tell what's WRONG with what we're doing. We just know it is, lol. There's totally no joy in the selections, the approach, the discussions, etc., and it's just a mess on a lot of levels (dark, disinteresting, mono-focused, no context). It's like there's no LOVE. We're hoping maybe these SF books have some LOVE, mercy.

I hear what you are saying. Literature this year (8th) just did not start off well at all. Dd picked Traditions off the shelf (I ordered it for oldest and never used it) and really liked the format. Since that is a 10th grade spine, I decided to order Patterns and start with that. Again, she likes the format and I like the TE quite a bit. Today we studied plot. I've never used another spine that explained and gave examples like Patterns. It is probably out there, I just haven't run across it yet :) I am skipping some short stories and I will add others as we go along. But, I hope to follow the spine fairly closely. So far so good! I ordered World literature student edition from Better World Books because they had a great price on it and I had a coupon. I'll keep my eyes open for others as they turn up. Now, if I could just settle on geometry :)

Back to history.........BJU 3rd or 4th edition???

Well now I've VERY interested to see them! Well when are you going to start the BJU history, now or in the fall? If it's not for a while, I'd get the 4th edition. Was it you I looked at samples with in a thread a while back? I seem to recall they had radically redone some things (the end of chapter questions, for instance) and left other things pretty much the same. Their updates are usually for the better, so I would think that would be the way to go. And the resale value will be better. And that first chapter of the book will be better.

Well now I've VERY interested to see them! Well when are you going to start the BJU history, now or in the fall? If it's not for a while, I'd get the 4th edition. Was it you I looked at samples with in a thread a while back? I seem to recall they had radically redone some things (the end of chapter questions, for instance) and left other things pretty much the same. Their updates are usually for the better, so I would think that would be the way to go. And the resale value will be better. And that first chapter of the book will be better.

Yes, I've been looking at BJU for a while now.....hoping to find it on sale. I don't need it until next fall, so yes, I have time.

I don't know what you will think of SF. Oldest did not like it at all, that is why it was tucked away on the shelf. She likes AOP American Lit and Brit Lit. Both are 1 semester courses, but I've added whole books and writing to fill it out to a year. Brit lit is actually taking 2 years because she discovered she enjoys Shakespeare. We added about a semester of Shakespeare to it. I'll be very curious what you think of SF. Youngest is reading ahead. The art work in the book is interesting as well.

I voted "other" just to throw out there Mystery of History. It is the first history curriculum my ds actually liked (said it did not put him to sleep ). it is a 4 yr curriculum (4th volume to come out in a yr). What I love is Bible history is included, people/places/events, as you study world history. The history covered is very interesting...the basic history events/people...but other very interesting people/places/events you never hear or hear about but never study because typical history books just never get to it. My son is enjoying the questions he has to research, he said the aren't boring and at least once a week I get, "Hey Mom, did you know". He has 3 researches to do a week. One I make oral, one just note taking or paragraph, and one needs to be a multi paragraph paper. Since there are many research questions dealing with the Bible I will be giving a Bible credit at the end of 4 yrs. Mapping is also included. I looked at MOH for my him when he was younger but didn't like it, now that he is older it is perfect for him.

I have used BJU for 20 yrs either as a full curriculum or for just a subject or 2. It is a very good curriculum and if textbook style is what you want, then BJU will get the job done. We just needed to break away from textbooks for history. We tried different types but MOH is the first that sparked an actual interest in history for my ds.

Hey Rabbit, when you say MOH4 is due out in a year, is that a *definite* thing? Like are they beta-testing it now or something? Seems like their timetables always get so protracted. Anyways, I had never looked at MOH3. Like you, I had MOH1 and 2 a long time ago and sold it off. I think we tried the sequence way too early. What she's doing though in the MOH3 samples is really interesting. It has that creative side I'm struggling to bring to the BJU. I've got the meat and synthesis with the BJU, but it's the creative, alive, rabbit traily stuff I don't figure out very well.

Hey Rabbit, when you say MOH4 is due out in a year, is that a *definite* thing? Like are they beta-testing it now or something? Seems like their timetables always get so protracted. Anyways, I had never looked at MOH3. Like you, I had MOH1 and 2 a long time ago and sold it off. I think we tried the sequence way too early. What she's doing though in the MOH3 samples is really interesting. It has that creative side I'm struggling to bring to the BJU. I've got the meat and synthesis with the BJU, but it's the creative, alive, rabbit traily stuff I don't figure out very well.

Sorry, just repeating what I heard about it being out in a yr. I am okay if it is not out till school year 2014/2015 since ds will not need vol. 4 till then. Yep, had these on the shelp, sold them, then repurchased them and they sat. Each time I looked at them it was not a good fit until ds#3 and High School and his complaining all history was excruciatingly boring....now he doesn't complain. As for the creative side you are talking about, not sure what you mean. For the older assignments, most are loook up this or that type assignments. There are more hands on stuff for younger and middle age groups, but my ds detests anything crafty (much to my dismay) so it never was a problem. If you are looking for some interesting rabbit trails, I found Mysteries in History http://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-History-Ancient-Wendy-Conklin/dp/1420630490/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354043549&sr=1-4&keywords=the+mystery+history. These are designed for group discussion but we have used them to start off research tangents. They have them for different time periods. I have used the Ancients one with vol. 1 MOH and covered topics like Atlantis, Was King Tut Murdered, Stonehenge, Troy:Was there a horse?, and so on. MOH does have the students exploring some things in history I have never heard of and am learning each time I read one of ds's papers...extremely interesting.

We don't use any of the choices and use a bunch of other books recommended on the WTM - but we've also used the Mystery of History - I especially like MOH book 3 (this is dd's favorite series).....The author has been able to unearth such interesting facts....I don't think I would use is stand alone as there are other topics that we've covered and for American History you would certainly need more (most states require American or US history I think - but check your state...)...

Joan

Rabbit-Thanks for explaining. That makes sense.

Joan- Thanks for the tip! You're right, MOH3 did look particularly good. Dd seems quite content with what we're doing (cuz I keep asking her to make sure :lol: ). I'm thinking MOH3 would be fun to throw into the mix, just to keep it spicy.

Such great discussion!

I'm still so undecided on what to use for world history. I really, really, really only want a one-year general survey world history course. I just don't think I'll be able to capture DS's interest longer than that and he has absolutely no desire at this point in time to wander down any history-related rabbit trails.

What about using something as a spine with living books, documentaries, and discussions? Would that possibly be a simpler but still thorough way to go? Are there any guides out there that could help me out while considering it? I've looked, but all I've found are the combined courses like MWF, etc. but I'd need something that provides a syllabus or timeline with recommended readings, most of which would be available online or via the library.

The BJU *is* a 1 year survey of world history with discussions. Then you just add some books and videos, as you please. It's already there, and it's quite good. My dd is a history nut, so we're taking our own pace and doing our thing. If your ds does the BJU world history next year for 10th (or starts now, 2nd semester), he's doing it basically on grade level. The tests are a very good reality check for what he might see in college. The tm is extremely easy to use to get discussions going. I'm not sure what you're worried about. It's there and it's going to be fine. He likes it, and it has the things you're wanting. If you want extra books or lit, add 'em on. It's FINE. :)

I worry that it's going to be too much and we'll end up with information overload. :bored: I know, I need to stop worrying and just buy the stupid books and be done with it. Life of Fred was our 4th algebra curriculum in 5 months, not including the one he started out using in ps. I completely see world history (or any history) being the same way and I don't have the funds to waste on books that won't work for us.

What about LIFEPAC World History? Anyone familiar with it? I don't generally like AO but the history seems like it might be okay.

Oh my lands, I didn't realize you've been having such a hard time getting things to fit. No wonder you're frustrated! If it's any consolation, I've BOUGHT that many math curricula for picking our algebra, lol. I just haven't USED it all. :D I think you do have to see these options and fiddle with them before you know what will work.

As a totally bizarre option, have you thought about doing something radically different like Hippocampus? I know it's not distinctly christian, but the pricepoint is right (free). Then it's interactive, video and audio at the same time, quantified, presented not just read, etc. etc.

I worry that it's going to be too much and we'll end up with information overload. :bored: I know, I need to stop worrying and just buy the stupid books and be done with it. Life of Fred was our 4th algebra curriculum in 5 months, not including the one he started out using in ps. I completely see world history (or any history) being the same way and I don't have the funds to waste on books that won't work for us.

What about LIFEPAC World History? Anyone familiar with it? I don't generally like AO but the history seems like it might be okay.

My oldest has used AOP LifePac history for 9th, 10th, and now 11th. World is 10th. She really likes it and I'm surprised by how much I like it. We have supplimented with additional literature. This year, I've actually added quite a bit to US. This dd is not a lit based learner. She is more a "just the facts mam" type. "Chatty" texts do not fit her learning style either. So, LifePac fit the bill. I gave her several choices, including BJU, and after looking at all IRL, she went with LifePac.

Now, my youngest, is more a lit based learner. After giving her several choices, she has chosen BJU. BUT, I'm going to stretch BJU world over 2 years. This dc has a different learning style and she enjoys the BJU format.

Oh my lands, I didn't realize you've been having such a hard time getting things to fit. No wonder you're frustrated! If it's any consolation, I've BOUGHT that many math curricula for picking our algebra, lol. I just haven't USED it all. :D I think you do have to see these options and fiddle with them before you know what will work.

As a totally bizarre option, have you thought about doing something radically different like Hippocampus? I know it's not distinctly christian, but the pricepoint is right (free). Then it's interactive, video and audio at the same time, quantified, presented not just read, etc. etc.

Oh I bought multiple algebra curriculums too, plus a few that were free online, which is why I don't want to repeat it with another subject. We've learned that anything that falls into the realm of traditional style textbooks will not be a good fit 90% of the time. Unfortunately for history, I've not really found a decent alternative, so I figure all I can do is find one that fits the best and say lots of prayers.

I've looked at Hippocampus lots of times and will likely use it for US history. They don't have a world history option though.

I hate to throw another option into the mix but based on what you've mentioned this choice might be a good option. On a previous thread, someone had recommended Holt McDougal World History: Patterns of Interaction on the ibook. It's a one year high school world history text with integrated videos. Another option, if you're looking for a more readable textbook. would be PACs World History.