Menu

Woodworking for DS6!!

does anyone have any book suggestions or links to some projects that a 6 year old could do by himself or with the help of his 9 year old brother?? my dh could help too, but i really want some ideas that he could do completely independently. for the most part, i envision he would spend hours just hammering nails into wood or trying to use a hand saw.

we got him this kit for christmas:

http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/magic_forest/moulin_roty_large_tool_box_set.cfm

and will be getting him some scrap wood, nails, screws, gloves.

anything else we should be getting with it?

thanks!

There are lots of wood craft kits out there (Timberdoodle has some, I think.) My ds at that age did a space rocket (sanding, glueing with wood glue and painting). He also worked on a pine wood derby car and made a small bird feeder.

Our library has some neat books on woodworking with kids but while I got them out from the library with good intentions, we never actually did any of the projects.

Oh, that's a nice set.

My dh is a carpenter. About that age, dh started supplying ds with his own real tools. That kit seems to have the basics covered. I would probably add a pair of safety goggles too. Also a nice discussion on safety, that kit seems to have a lot of sharp tools.

Do you have a worktable at his height? Something like that would be great. A tool belt would be another great idea.