Menu

Where do you store your dish drying rack?

Assuming you have one, where do you keep it? We finally have a dishwasher (yay!), but I still like to use our big old rack to hand wash pots and pans, etc. I guess I should have planned the new cabinets a little better, because I have yet to find a good place to store it when not in use. It used to go under the sink, but it doesn't seem to fit as well under there anymore. I'd like to make it easy for *ahem* other people in the house to use it. ;)

I keep mine on the counter to the left of the sinks as well, with a dish towel beneath. I have tried putting it away under the sink before and will do that if I'm having people over, but it doesn't make sense for every day. It's in use 4 or more times a day and taking it out and putting it back ended up feeling pointless.

I keep mine on the counter to the left of the sinks as well, with a dish towel beneath. I have tried putting it away under the sink before and will do that if I'm having people over, but it doesn't make sense for every day. It's in use 4 or more times a day and taking it out and putting it back ended up feeling pointless.

:iagree:

Even with a dishwasher, I still use the drying rack regularly. Very regularly.

On the bit of counter space to the right of the double sink - it lives there all the time, as their is always something or other draining/drying on it. I would never even think of putting it away - my folks always had theirs out all the time, too. The rack comes with a plastic tray that I tip towards the sink to get the last water off it each time i put dry pots and pans, etc. away (we also have a dishwasher but I don't use it for pots/pans.)

I just use a towel and hang it up when I put the pots away.

Recently I used one of those drying pads and it worked great. However, it was very new and didn't want to fold up nicely. The woman who owned it said her sister's was nice and pliable after awhile and easier to put away.

:iagree: Except that my company is subject to looking at mine and whatever I have drying in it. I *never* put it away.

It has never occurred to me that anyone would think it sloppy. I use it, so it's there. It is what it is.

(But now I'll probably be more conscious of it and wondering if guests are noticing....<sigh>)

:iagree: Except that my company is subject to looking at mine and whatever I have drying in it. I *never* put it away.

It has never occurred to me that anyone would think it sloppy. I use it, so it's there. It is what it is.

(But now I'll probably be more conscious of it and wondering if guests are noticing....<sigh>)

Well, it *does* look nicer the fewer things are on the counter. I also put my toaster away when company is over. But it wouldn't bother me if I was over someone's house and their dish rack was on the counter. I would never pay any attention at someone's house unless it was an outright disaster, kwim?

I just use a dish towel. Had a drying rack out all the time in previous places we lived, but decided against one when we moved into this manufactured home about three years ago.

That's what I do too.

When I had a dish rack, it was out all the time. That sometimes happens with the dish towel too, but most of the time we get the things put away and then whoosh away the towel.

On the bit of counter space to the right of the double sink - it lives there all the time, as their is always something or other draining/drying on it. I would never even think of putting it away - my folks always had theirs out all the time, too. The rack comes with a plastic tray that I tip towards the sink to get the last water off it each time i put dry pots and pans, etc. away (we also have a dishwasher but I don't use it for pots/pans.)

Same here. I've never thought of putting it away. I don't even know where I'd put it -- no room in my kitchen!

Well, it *does* look nicer the fewer things are on the counter. I also put my toaster away when company is over. But it wouldn't bother me if I was over someone's house and their dish rack was on the counter. I would never pay any attention at someone's house unless it was an outright disaster, kwim?

Oh, good. I was really just kidding, however, I realized my MIL does put hers away every single time she uses it. It probably does bother her that I don't put mine away. Oh, well.

She's one who has nothing to do but clean and has no interests or hobbies and cannot even begin to put herself in anyone else's shoes and realize that many of us are very busy and have different priorities. Several times she has complained to me about her own daughter's housekeeping. SIL and I are not really friendly at all, but boy, did I stick up for her! She works full time and has a Ds involved in several activities. She's just as busy as I am. No way I'll participate in bashing her cleaning skills.

Back to the Op's question...

Under the sink.

Right now I just have a clear acrylic thingie :) that stays on the counter, where I put the few things that don't go in the dishwasher. When I'm having guests for dinner, though, it goes under the sink.

Any dishes that I handwash only stay on the thingie for a few minutes, and then I dry and put away. I have a dishwasher because I don't like dishes stacked on the counter, KWIM?

Yup, this was me for the last 10+ years. We have an open living area, so the first thing people see when they walk in the front door is the kitchen. :tongue_smilie: The dishwasher has helped so much, I feel inspired to keep after the counter/dry rack.

I do dry and put away after washing, but I've gotten spoiled and love being able to stack all the big pots, pans, sheets and bowls in the rack first, then dry afterwards. Maybe I just need to buy a smaller rack that will fit under the sink.

Can any of those things actually go into the dishwasher? Sometimes we handwash things that don't need to be, KWIM?

Otherwise, yes, you're gonna have to dry as you go along. :-)

Oh the freaking dish rack saga. One of the many stories of my kitchen.

I finally just bought a nicer looking one becasue I cannot manage to keep it IN the sink. I need both sinks. And trying to put it away just doesn't happen. I wish I didn't need one on the counter, but the fact is my life is just much easier that way. I am always washing something.

We have a small one that is always on the counter. I dry and put away the dishes on it daily.

And we run our dishwasher AT LEAST twice a day. Or on days like today when I have done tons of baking, three times already. That's what it is for, ya know?

It is worth it to me to run it more often so I have time to do the other million things on my list. I only hand wash a few things that are delicate.

Well yes, but then I would have to run the dishwasher more often. My dh has been turning on the TV show Extreme Cheapskate in hopes I will be inspired to run the dishwasher more than once a day, but, so far at least, his efforts have been in vain. :D

Running the dishwasher more than once a day, or at "off" times is a punishable crime around here. ;) Although, it's funny, because I'm running it right now (an "off" time) in the event that our power goes out from the storm. I'm getting it done now because it was full enough to call it good.

Re: off times - I can't stand it when the dishes are clean and need to be emptied in the middle of the day. Then everything is all messed up. There won't be enough dinner dishes to make a worthwhile load, but if I leave it for tomorrow, it will have to be washed at an "off" time again. :glare:

Oh the freaking dish rack saga. One of the many stories of my kitchen.

I finally just bought a nicer looking one becasue I cannot manage to keep it IN the sink. I need both sinks. And trying to put it away just doesn't happen. I wish I didn't need one on the counter, but the fact is my life is just much easier that way. I am always washing something.

I can't either. I have two sinks because I want two sinks, not a sink and a dish-drying vessel. Also, it wouldn't drastically improve the visual effect if there are dishes drying in the sink, as opposed to on the counter. I say this is part of having a family - the sinks are in continuous use.

That is why I think Flylady's "shine the sink" mantra is nonsensical. Way to feel worthless. Shine the sink that will be trashed 13 minutes from now. :glare: I say if I can start and end the day with no dishes in the sink, we'll call that good enough.

Running the dishwasher more than once a day, or at "off" times is a punishable crime around here. ;) Although, it's funny, because I'm running it right now (an "off" time) in the event that our power goes out from the storm. I'm getting it done now because it was full enough to call it good.

Re: off times - I can't stand it when the dishes are clean and need to be emptied in the middle of the day. Then everything is all messed up. There won't be enough dinner dishes to make a worthwhile load, but if I leave it for tomorrow, it will have to be washed at an "off" time again. :glare:

I can't either. I have two sinks because I want two sinks, not a sink and a dish-drying vessel. Also, it wouldn't drastically improve the visual effect if there are dishes drying in the sink, as opposed to on the counter. I say this is part of having a family - the sinks are in continuous use.

That is why I think Flylady's "shine the sink" mantra is nonsensical. Way to feel worthless. Shine the sink that will be trashed 13 minutes from now. :glare: I say if I can start and end the day with no dishes in the sink, we'll call that good enough.

Oh flylady doesn't live in her house :tongue_smilie:

I'd rather just have a dishrack on the counter rather than trying to work with one sink, or having a spare place to put the thing when I need to put it away. I've never had anyone complain about my dishrack LOL

Mine lives under the sink, and cleaning supplies are stacked in it. I haul it out when my mom visits. Otherwise, I don't use it at all. I throw nearly everything (pots, pans, plastics, silver--all of it) in the dishwasher. If it doesn't fit, it sits until the next go-round.

When the power goes out (expected to tonight), I will hand wash dishes, and my dishwasher will become my drying rack! :D