Menu

It's official. My mom lives under a rock.

My mom called earlier and asked me how the weather is here. We are inland, so we've just had some light wind. She said it's raining there, but her husband doesn't think they're going to get anything from Sandy. I told her that the weather channel says they're going to get a significant accumulation of snow. She was like, "Oh really, here?" A little while later, I checked again, and found out there is a blizzard warning for Monday and Tuesday. I asked dh if I should call and warn her. I mean, really, how could she not know what is going on? But I called her, and she really had no idea. She has no computer or internet, no TV reception, and her local radio station doesn't have news on the weekends. Good grief. I told her if she thinks of anything they need this week, get to the store in the morning because it's going to continue snowing through Thursday. Her husband just had cataract surgery and was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and his car is in the shop. Mom is 81 and doesn't like to drive. So once the snow starts, they won't be going anywhere.

And a year of cable t.v., just for the news!

I'll have to check into whether cable is even available. There is a lake and ski resort nearby and there's cable there, but I'm not sure it's available county wide.

ETA: No cable, and the cheapest DirecTV plan is $30/month.

Edited by LizzyBee

It sounds like a GREAT Christmas gift for them would be a NOAA Weather radio.

:iagree:

I remember calling my SIL and MIL in Rochester, NY on 9/11 at about 2pm. My MIL was visiting because SIL had had my niece the week before. I just wanted to talk to someone, after the horrible events of the day. Dh had gone to work and I was home alone with a toddler.

THEY HAD NO IDEA WHAT HAD HAPPENED :001_huh:. One of the most bizarre phone conversations in my life.

Sounds like you need to make friends with one of her younger neighbors! Then you could call and have them help you out...

My brother is close by and has 4 wheel drive, so he'll look in on them. The neighbors are good, too. The last time the power stayed out for a few days, they brought a generator over to run the freezers for awhile so they didn't thaw.

Or a digital converter box just to get the local TV stations for weather and news.

She has a converter box but still can't get a signal. She needs an antenna on the roof to get a signal, but at their ages, they won't be able to adjust it if it moves. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I remember calling my SIL and MIL in Rochester, NY on 9/11 at about 2pm. My MIL was visiting because SIL had had my niece the week before. I just wanted to talk to someone, after the horrible events of the day. Dh had gone to work and I was home alone with a toddler.

THEY HAD NO IDEA WHAT HAD HAPPENED :001_huh:. One of the most bizarre phone conversations in my life.

Wow. You'd think everyone knew about it by then.

I ordered an NOAA radio and a new indoor/outdoor thermometer and had them shipped to my mom. But the NOAA county codes are on their website, so I'm going to email my brother to ask him to program the thing when it arrives. :lol:

Good luck on getting her to use it and leave it ON. We gave one to a family member who turns it off because it alerts her to warning in her area but that is annoying and wakes her up:glare:.

:iagree: I can see not having tv or Internet, but NOAA is a necessity for weather updates.

I have an "aunt" like this. I tried to give her a NOAA radio and her response was, "When the sky looks bad, I put the animals in the barn and go to bed." She's 94. She thinks our generation with its weather apps and email alerts is insane. :D

WE have our WEather radio programmed so it only wakes us up in actually emergencies- well as close as NOAA gets them. Even our tornado sirens around here warn us too much since they go off every time there is a tornado warning in our county- but we have had it go off at least 6 times since we lived here (less than a year and a half) when it wasn't in our part of the county at all. Only once was it actually anywhere close.

If it works, here is a picture of what it's like where my mom is. She lives abt 20 miles from where the picture was taken. They had 26" of snow around lunch time today with another foot expected. The blizzard warning was extended until 6 pm tomorrow. Well over half the county was without power earlier today, but she has a woodstove so heat is not an issue. There are downed power lines and trees everywhere, and there was a transformer fire yesterday. To make it more exciting, it was a thunder snow storm!

post-504-13535087757233_thumb.jpg

Edited by LizzyBee