Menu

Thoughts on "Leave it to Beaver"

We've been having a "Beav-a-thon" at our house. I don't know why everyone says that family was so perfect. They argue, get into scrapes, the parents mess up and have to apologize to the kids. . . Actually, despite the slight change in era, it really is remarkably like our home. Right now the episode where Ward Cleaver takes the family to a cabin in the woods to get away from the movies and the comic books is running in the background. With the exception of June Cleaver who is still wearing a pencil skirt and sweater set, the theme of getting the family away from media and back to nature is quite modern!

In fact, I think think the Cleaver family was a bit more lenient than we are. I would have pulled the plug on Beaver's friendship with Larry (who got him to try smoking) and Wally's friendship to Eddie (who, well, is Eddie).

ETA: Oh wait, June changed into some nicely pressed jeans and a gingham blouse!

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

We watched one where the boys forgot to take their bath so they filled the tub with a little water and threw dirt from their pockets in the water, making it look as if they had. My son said "why am I laughing?" :lol: That was not even the main theme of the episode I don't think! I think each episode we watched had something like that.

I do think their house is too clean. :tongue_smilie:

That show is one of my all-time favorite series. :lol: I watched it in re-runs after school.

Now my kids have the entire series on DVD. :D

I love the minimalist look of their house and Beaver's classroom. ;) Everything is so tidy.

I read an article recently about Tony Dow. He's a sculptor who had some of his work shown at the Louvre. He looks the same!

And apparently the actor who played Eddie Haskel was a total sweetheart in real-life.:)

I think people think the Cleavers are perfect because neither Ward nor June are alcoholics, Ward doesn't "work late" and come home wearing someone else's underwear, no one in the family is verbally or physically abused or abusive (as far as I remember--it's been awhile since I've seen the show), the parents are pretty patient and kind and show grace to their children, all needs are met and nothing all that terrible happens. There's not a third sibling that's been sent to reform school or anyone carrying a gun or strung out on drugs or anything. People use "leave it to beaver childhood" to mean a great childhood in a loving family and I think that makes sense. I'm sure lots of 1950s/early 1960s families were NOT like the Cleavers.

But they are not robots or a Stepford family. I always liked Leave It to Beaver when I was a kid. Although my son has an aversion to black-and-white TV and movies, I should get a dvd from the library and try it.

I think people think the Cleavers are perfect because neither Ward nor June are alcoholics, Ward doesn't "work late" and come home wearing someone else's underwear, no one in the family is verbally or physically abused or abusive (as far as I remember--it's been awhile since I've seen the show), the parents are pretty patient and kind and show grace to their children, all needs are met and nothing all that terrible happens. There's not a third sibling that's been sent to reform school or anyone carrying a gun or strung out on drugs or anything. People use "leave it to beaver childhood" to mean a great childhood in a loving family and I think that makes sense. I'm sure lots of 1950s/early 1960s families were NOT like the Cleavers.

But they are not robots or a Stepford family. I always liked Leave It to Beaver when I was a kid. Although my son has an aversion to black-and-white TV and movies, I should get a dvd from the library and try it.

:lol:

Perfection: so easy to achieve.

Hey we are having a “Beav-a-thon” tonight too! I added to my collection by buying season 3 & 4 at Target this afternoon. I grew up watching Beaver and really love that show! When I have had a stressful day I tell the kids I need to go to Beaver Land.

It's pretty amazing how behavior some would find appalling is fairly typical of the era.

I am trying to imagine a post by someone reporting that their kid got stuck in a city billboard/advert. How harsh would the punishment be today for many? The child might likely be tried as an adult and go to prison.

Today, Beaver would totally be on Ritalin.

Edited by LibraryLover

It's pretty amazing how behavior some would find appalling is fairly typical of the era.

I am trying to imagine a post by someone reporting that their kid got stuck in a city billboard/advert. How harsh would the punishment be today for many? The child might likely be tried as an adult and go to prison.

Which episode is that??

ETA: Found it. I remember that one.

:iagree:

My favorite example of the above is one in which one of the boys goes off to scout camp with his troop. How do they get to scout camp? About a dozen boys are shown standing in the bed of a pick up truck that doesn't even have a tailgate, just a chain across the back. This truck then heads off down the road going to some camp, who knows how far away. How many years in jail would the driver get these days for that?

:iagree:

My favorite example of the above is one in which one of the boys goes off to scout camp with his troop. How do they get to scout camp? About a dozen boys are shown standing in the bed of a pick up truck that doesn't even have a tailgate, just a chain across the back. This truck then heads off down the road going to some camp, who knows how far away. How many years in jail would the driver get these days for that?

Yes, I did have that thought too.

We've been having a "Beav-a-thon" at our house. I don't know why everyone says that family was so perfect. They argue, get into scrapes, the parents mess up and have to apologize to the kids. . . Actually, despite the slight change in era, it really is remarkably like our home. Right now the episode where Ward Cleaver takes the family to a cabin in the woods to get away from the movies and the comic books is running in the background. With the exception of June Cleaver who is still wearing a pencil skirt and sweater set, the theme of getting the family away from media and back to nature is quite modern!

In fact, I think think the Cleaver family was a bit more lenient than we are. I would have pulled the plug on Beaver's friendship with Larry (who got him to try smoking) and Wally's friendship to Eddie (who, well, is Eddie).

ETA: Oh wait, June changed into some nicely pressed jeans and a gingham blouse!

LOL, Beav-a-thon!!!

Just the fact your family is having a Beav-a-thon shows how wholesome and family-oriented you are. Love it!

My three littles have loved watching Dick Van Dyke recently. We watch one episode every night before bed. They think it is hysterical! My littlest girl loves I Love Lucy, but the boys don't get the humor. Next, we plan to watch Leave it to Beaver. I think they will really enjoy it. :001_smile: Love those old shows!

My three littles have loved watching Dick Van Dyke recently. We watch one episode every night before bed. They think it is hysterical! My littlest girl loves I Love Lucy, but the boys don't get the humor. Next, we plan to watch Leave it to Beaver. I think they will really enjoy it. :001_smile: Love those old shows!

LOVE Dick Van Dyke! Oh, R-o-b-b....;-)

"Waaaarrrrd, dooo something!" :lol:

:rofl:

It is on Netflix so we have been going through every one as well. We love it!

My favorite is one we watched Sunday. The girls played it over and over and over.

Beaver and Gilbert were pretending in Ward's car. Gilbert was the "mom". It was the funniest thing I've ever seen!

I do think their house is too clean. :tongue_smilie:

I do agree with that!

I LOVE Leave It To Beaver!!!!!!! although they argue and such, it was good, clean tv.

We have the entire dvd set of I Love Lucy and all four of my kids love it. When ever dd12 is sick, we can plan on a Lucy marathon.

We have that set too. MY dh can't stand Lucy (says its too silly, although he LOVES the three stooges...go figure) but the kids and I love it. We love to watch Andy Griffith, Beaver, I love Lucy, and Hogan's Heroes. It makes me sad that those type shows, which everyone in the family can enjoy, are not made anymore.

The kids have been enjoying a Beaver marathon today. Right now, we're watching Dick van Dyke.

Thanks for the reminder, Jean, and the Netflix heads-up, Jessica. It's added great fun to Storm Watch 2012. :D

PS June was in her nightgown and robe in The Haircut. ;)