Menu

Reasons NOT to use Chalkdust Basic Math / pre-alg?

Since no one is posting, I will tell you my experience.

I purchased the cheaper edition of the CD Basic College Math books and DVDs through the ISBN numbers that were posted here last year. My DD, then 12, found the text overwhelming, and the video lessons too long(she was used to MUS, and they have 5 minute lessons), although she like the way Dana Mosley was teaching. It is written for an older audience with really dense pages. We didn't get very far.

Fast forward to this year...we struggled through last year with various things, because I wanted 7th grade to be a review of basic math, before hitting pre-algebra. We started this year doing a little more review, then hit a spot in decimals that she wasn't getting. I pulled out the BCM book and the DVDs and looked for the corresponding lesson. She watched the lesson, then did the odd numbers in the BCM book. She did great, and afterwards I asked how it went. She said that she always did understand things better when Mr. Mosley taught them. Huh?! We had a long talk and I explained to her that she needed to have a teacher that taught in a way that she understands. It seems like Dana Mosley is that teacher. She agreed, so I have ordered the cheaper versions of CD Pre-Algebra and DVDs and we will be starting that as soon as they arrive. I will try to post back to let you know how it goes.

Thank you! I'll be watching for that.

Do you think the change was just that she got older and more mature? Or do you think you could have pushed through it last year and have had her realize it was working then? We have had a number of discussions about the need for learning and understanding rather than entertainment, so that would not be a new thing.

Also, I have been hoping it would have, as the website indicates, good word problems. Word problems that seem like real situations are much appreciated here. What have you found in that regard?

I think we had some math posts about your son also. Are you considering using CD with him? And if not, why not?

Meanwhile, I am waiting for my demo DVD to arrive.

Edited by Pen

Thank you! I'll be watching for that.

Do you think the change was just that she got older and more mature? Or do you think you could have pushed through it last year and have had her realize it was working then? We have had a number of discussions about the need for learning and understanding rather than entertainment, so that would not be a new thing.

Also, I have been hoping it would have, as the website indicates, good word problems. Word problems that seem like real situations are much appreciated here. What have you found in that regard?

I think we had some math posts about your son also. Are you considering using CD with him? And if not, why not?

Meanwhile, I am waiting for my demo DVD to arrive.

I do think that she has gotten older and more mature. I am not sure about the word problems. I will have to go back and check. I do remember thinking that the word problems were definitely for an older audience.

Yes, I am wondering where my son should go after Saxon 6/5. I am leaning towards finishing up Saxon 7/6, and then making a decision from there. I really like the looks of the Pre-Algebra by Derek Owens, but I am not purchasing anything new right now, as my math shelves are overflowing at this point. If things go well with CD Pre-Algebra, I may switch him over after 7/6, although he may be ready after 6/5(which he will be finished just after Christmas). I will make that decision after the CD arrives, although having my DS11 and DD13 in the same math won't go over too well here, so I may have to chose something else.

I do think that she has gotten older and more mature. I am not sure about the word problems. I will have to go back and check. I do remember thinking that the word problems were definitely for an older audience.

Yes, I am wondering where my son should go after Saxon 6/5. I am leaning towards finishing up Saxon 7/6, and then making a decision from there. I really like the looks of the Pre-Algebra by Derek Owens, but I am not purchasing anything new right now, as my math shelves are overflowing at this point. If things go well with CD Pre-Algebra, I may switch him over after 7/6, although he may be ready after 6/5(which he will be finished just after Christmas). I will make that decision after the CD arrives, although having my DS11 and DD13 in the same math won't go over too well here, so I may have to chose something else.

Ah. I see. I got a pretty good look inside now, and I do like the word problems. I do not know how my ds will deal with them, but they do sound more important than things to do with cookies.