Menu

Making an Elective Out of Polyvore?

My DD spends a HUGE amount of time on Polyvore. It's a site that lets you put together "sets" of outfits, makeup, etc. The more advanced sets are put together like magazine ads. Others can "like" or vote on them. She pays very close attention to which sets get votes or comments!

Here's what I'm talking about... http://www.myredstar.polyvore.com/

I feel like she is learning some great skills about marketing, graphics, presentation, fashion. She spends so much time on it, I was wondering how I might make it into something credit-worthy. I was thinking at first fashion merchandising...

I will confess I am not a very creative mom and tend to stick with "official" programs. I am trying to be more flexible and go with some of her interests. I just don't know how to go about that!

Great idea. In order to make it an elective course for school I would expect her to add some additional substance. Here are an example of the sorts of thing that might add to the course:

reading (such as a textbook on fashion merchandising or fashion history)

writing (such as a term paper on some aspect of merchandising or fashion)

putting together a portfolio

working on a local charity fashion show

interviewing people in the fashion industry.

You probably can pull up course descriptions or maybe even course outlines or lessons plans. It might be good to start by looking at a description of the different sorts of fashion courses typically offered in colleges that offer this as a major and work from there.

I think this could be a great idea. I would want to use a spine text or syllabus to organize the study.

This MIT class on The Art of Color might be worth looking at. Someone here posted about, so you might do a search.

Also the website design seeds is great. They put together color palettes and then have photos to show the palette at work.

I would also want to have some sort of marketing spine, maybe a entry level college text. Then maybe some fashion specific books, adding a few fun books for inspiration.

There are a few fashion blogs that post daily pictures of outfits. That might be a good project. This one is designed for moms, but I linked it because she talks about the subtle differences in outfits, plus she never shows her face, which would be a nice way to do this project and be a bit more anonymous online.

So what kind of college is she aiming at? This would influence my decision as to whether to put this on the official transcript.

Community college, nothing too competitive! She is not a very "academic" kid. I'm trying to encourage her to just enjoy learning anything!

Thanks for the ideas...

This MIT class on The Art of Color might be worth looking at. Someone here posted about, so you might do a search.

Also the website design seeds is great. They put together color palettes and then have photos to show the palette at work.

Was this about the Art of Color, or were you about to mention something else? Regarding the websites?

Was this about the Art of Color, or were you about to mention something else? Regarding the websites?

The Art of Color would be something to look into regarding color theory.

Design-seeds is a website, not necessarily fashion related, but uses a lot of design elements. You can follow them on Pinterest too.