Menu

Cycles and throwing a younger kid into the mix

AnnaM

My oldest are close enough that it was easy to start our history and science cycles with both of them in the same book doing the same thing. I am wondering how you handle the cycle when it comes time to add in another child who is several years younger? Does he just pick up where your others are or do you do two different cycles? I hope that question makes sense!

Roll the new kid in with the others, but don't bank on finding materials that are suitable for both levels. My upper logic stage kids are using the same materials but working individually, and my grammar stage kids are combined in their own age appropriate set of books. They rarely study history at the same time, and the main topics don't always match, but they are studying the same history period. Extras like field trips, movies, big projects and such can still be family wide, and it makes my book hunting job much simpler.

Roll the new kid in with the others, but don't bank on finding materials that are suitable for both levels. My upper logic stage kids are using the same materials but working individually, and my grammar stage kids are combined in their own age appropriate set of books. They rarely study history at the same time, and the main topics don't always match, but they are studying the same history period. Extras like field trips, movies, big projects and such can still be family wide, and it makes my book hunting job much simpler.

I agree with this. Even mine that are only 2 yrs apart are using different sources and books this year for science and history, as one has jumped into WTM logic stage work. But we can all do field trips, projects, see videos that are in the same time period. Yes, one was in Europe last week, and one was in Jerusalem. But one wasn't in world war II europe and one in ancient Europe :)

The same goes for science. I am using different resources. They don't always study the subject at the same time, but the materials being covered this year are basically the same: cells, animals, human body...