Menu

Dd's hamster died

Last night I checked on dd7's hamster and he was no longer living. It looks like he curled up to sleep and never woke up. When I thought about it I realized that we have had him about 1.75 years. He was a winter white so his expected life span is 1.5-2 years. I think he died of old age. Dd and dh both are very sad so I have been researching to find small pets with longer life spans.

We probably won't get a new pet right away but we definitely want one that will live longer. I discovered that several breeds of hamster have slightly longer life spans (2-3 years) and wanted to ask if that is accurate in the experience of others? Also what is your experience with the life spans of other small pets? Is a life span of 3-5 years accurate for rats? What about 5-8 years for guinea pigs? Are there any other small pets that I am missing?

The Syrian hamsters are 2-3 years life span. My aunt had them. Guinea pigs can live beyond five years but their cage is three times the size of my big hamster cage and requires bedding change more often.

My teddy bear hamsters run their wheel at night and sometimes keep me awake with the noise. My guinea pig sleeps through the night.

Our female rats always lived about 2 years, then had a slow death from mammary tumors. Our guinea pig was 6 or 7.

What about chinchillas, ferrets, or degus?

Thanks for the information. I think I will eliminate rats from consideration since they require a larger habitat and don't live much longer. A tendency toward a long drawn out end of life period is a downside too.

Chinchillas are cute but when I looked them up it said that they are vulnerable to heat and humidity and could even die from too much heat and humidity. We live on the Gulf Coast so outdoors is humid all year and hot for much of the year. Indoors is climate controlled but I don't want to lose a pet in the aftermath of a hurricane or due to a power disruption of some other type.

One or more ferrets might be a good option that I had not considered.

This is the first time that I have heard of degus and they sound really interesting.

The Syrian hamsters are 2-3 years life span. My aunt had them. Guinea pigs can live beyond five years but their cage is three times the size of my big hamster cage and requires bedding change more often.

My teddy bear hamsters run their wheel at night and sometimes keep me awake with the noise. My guinea pig sleeps through the night.

Thanks for the information. I am open to animals that require a larger habitat. Our hamster ran on his wheel at night and it did not bother us.

I had a teddy bear hamster that lived 3 yrs. when I was a kid. Rats tend to live about 3 yrs. tops, unless you're committed to prolonging it with a lot of vet. care and pampering. I believe the longest living rat on record lived to be around 7 yrs. old but that is extremely atypical. They can come with a plethora of health issues if you're not careful. Also, unlike hamsters, you do need to have at least two rats.

A degu lives to be around 6 yrs. but have been reported to live more than double that.

Five years is about right for the typical guinea pig receiving average care, but again, an extremely well cared for cavy can live far longer.

Have you looked into sugar gliders? They are very social and bond well to their humans but you do need to have at least two. They can live up to 20yrs.

I would stay away from chinchillas because they are pretty spazzy and tend not to enjoy being handled all that much.

Gerbils live around 4 or 5 yrs. and might not be a bad choice. They can be a little nippy and jumpy though.

My step-daughter had a guinea pig that lived 18 years. We have a really sweet female right now that is about 10 months old.

Her name is CoCo.

Sorry for your dd :grouphug:. We had a hamster a few years ago that the cats got to when someone left the door a bit ajar. We wanted something a little more sturdy and larger this time. Although the hamster was a great pet! Guinea pig is quite as night for us as well.