Menu

What do you think about church lock-ins?

I guess I just don't go around thinking of my kids and their friends as ticking bombs. I'm realistic. (We had a mixed-gender group here last night, and one newly-officially-together same-sex couple. And my 17-year-old and I took it in turns to make sure one of us was awake and present the whole night.) But I just can't bring myself to think of this group of kids as dangerous.

Dangerous is not the word I would use. Just awakening to their sexuality, yes. Feeling peer pressure constantly, yes. Wanting to try new things and often things that aren't good for them, yes.

And this is coming from a kid who didn't smoke, drink, hold a boy's hand or anything questionable at all aside from back-talking occasionally as a teenager. I think we all know that there are really good teens out there. There are also teens who are easily influenced by peers, teens who have no adult supervision normally and don't even know what that means realistically, teens who are looking for every chance to rebel or be independent, and teens who are chafing against parents who are too strict.

I think that what you posted about your church having required training, signing a contract listing expected behaviors and outcomes, and the background training is a wonderful thing. It sounds like you have a very conscientious and aware leadership and your youth group will be helped by that tremendously. Sadly, however, most groups do not have anything like that kind of leadership.

So, turn on the lights?

I kind of meant that figuratively as well as literally, I don't think it's as simple as that. You wrote above about all of the training, forethought and supervision that goes into the lock ins you've experienced. I don't believe what you describe is terribly common. The idea that "It's church! They'll behave." Is more prevalent.

I would imagine most people's opinions are based on what they have observed or experienced. I see no reason to believe that their views are not equally as valid as the view of someone who has not observed or experienced negative outcomes. I would say that I think it unwise to assume that just because one is not aware of something happening that something has never happened. I believe the whole idea on the youths' part would be to make sure that the adults did not become aware. :glare:

I sincerely appreciate every post! Well, I can't say I appreciate RM's post that called lock-in planners "idiots" lol! But whatever.

I'm on the youth ministry team, and we are planning a lock-in for middle schoolers for next month. We'll probably have around 30 kids and 4-6 adults. I've never been to a lock-in because my youth groups growing up never had them, and this is the first one my church has had since I joined the team.

I really wanted opinions from parents who had btdt. Thanks so very much!!! Our youth ministry is AMAZING! Even if I wasn't on the team, I would really appreciate and trust the leaders. There aren't any young, just-graduated leaders, which I've heard a lot of youth groups have. Every leader in our group is in their 30s to 40s and has a background check and training to work with youth. Most importantly we each having a calling to work with this kids. Our hearts are fully invested in them. You might recall I let my then 11 year old go to Florida for a week this past summer with the youth group. So I'm definitely not worried about hanky-panky. If it didn't happen in a week in a beach house with middle and high schoolers, I'm not worried about it happening at a middle school lock-in. I'll most likely be there.

The thing I'm most nervous about is the next day. I do not look forward to having a sleep deprived hormonal preteen to deal with the next day. :tongue_smilie: BUT I think it's probably worth it for a fun-filled night of bonding and relationship building with her youth group. It's a great group of kids!

Again, thank you! You've given me a lot to think about and confirmed my thoughts as well. I'm not anti-youth group, so it's hard for me to understand that mentality. I'm sure there's good reason many of you feel that way.

:D

As I have a graduate criminology degree, I read all types of sociological studies, not necessarily just ones to do with crimes. One that particularly interested me was when teens get into trouble- be it drinking, drugs, sex, crime or what have you. The prime hours were like 3-6pm. Why? Because that is when teens come home from school with no adults home and 6 is the average time the adults come home and can supervise. Anyway, it was very interesting to me since the myth is that late nights are the problem.

Our church has them twice a year for Kindy and up. The teens there help supervise and carry out activities for the youngers. There is usually 1 adult to about 5 kids and they have group activities all night that participation is mandatory so there is no sneaking off. They sleep in gender specific rooms with same gender adults from about 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. Pick up is at 9 a.m.

My kids love them. Yes, they come home and crash out the next day. That just means I had a whole quiet evening AND next day.

:tongue_smilie:

I sincerely appreciate every post! Well, I can't say I appreciate RM's post that called lock-in planners "idiots" lol! But whatever.

I'm on the youth ministry team, and we are planning a lock-in for middle schoolers for next month. We'll probably have around 30 kids and 4-6 adults. I've never been to a lock-in because my youth groups growing up never had them, and this is the first one my church has had since I joined the team.

I really wanted opinions from parents who had btdt. Thanks so very much!!! Our youth ministry is AMAZING! Even if I wasn't on the team, I would really appreciate and trust the leaders. There aren't any young, just-graduated leaders, which I've heard a lot of youth groups have. Every leader in our group is in their 30s to 40s and has a background check and training to work with youth. Most importantly we each having a calling to work with this kids. Our hearts are fully invested in them. You might recall I let my then 11 year old go to Florida for a week this past summer with the youth group. So I'm definitely not worried about hanky-panky. If it didn't happen in a week in a beach house with middle and high schoolers, I'm not worried about it happening at a middle school lock-in. I'll most likely be there.

The thing I'm most nervous about is the next day. I do not look forward to having a sleep deprived hormonal preteen to deal with the next day. :tongue_smilie: BUT I think it's probably worth it for a fun-filled night of bonding and relationship building with her youth group. It's a great group of kids!

Again, thank you! You've given me a lot to think about and confirmed my thoughts as well. I'm not anti-youth group, so it's hard for me to understand that mentality. I'm sure there's good reason many of you feel that way.

:D

I don't know anything about your group but this made me chuckle. I don't think any kids involved in hanky- panky would tell you. :D

I've chaperoned 2 in my life.

A) The good one - was for our middle school students only and took place in the gym of our Christian school. The whole evening was completely planned out, tons of games, tons of food, very little "free time", no unsupervised time, a good time was had by all, though we were all exhausted at the end.

B) The Nightmare - was an "outreach", took buses all over the city to various venues - bowling, pizza, etc. It was horrible. Discipline was almost non-existent, kids were awful. I vowed I'd have nothing to do with that youth group ever again.

So, lock-ins can be good and they can be bad. Just depends.

I don't know anything about your group but this made me chuckle. I don't think any kids involved in hanky- panky would tell you. :D

My daughter would. She's told me things she's done and told me that she doesn't do things she can't imagine telling me. She also keeps me informed in general terms about the other kids we know.

My son would tell me some things. Other things his friends would tell me.

Some things slip through the cracks, of course. But, honestly, I'm usually pretty well in the loop.

For example, that new couple I mentioned? Neither of their parents know about them. But I do.

When we were Youth Group leaders, we did plenty of sleep overs but never lock ins.

We had an amazing group of kids who naturally behaved themselves (80% homeschooled :D) so we had to make very few rules. The girls and boys self policed and to this day, we've never heard about any hanky panky. They would get into mischief though. They'd race up and down the halls in giant trash bins on wheels, one boy climbed to the peek of the roof, the girls would harangue one of the boys into letting them do a make-over on him, they'd completely pig out, stay up WAY too late, make silly movies with our tape recorder; pretty innocent fun.

If I knew and trusted the kids and the leadership of my kids' youth group I'd let them go, but we still have many, many years to go.

I skipped from page 4, but I DID participate in these as a teen. Nothing seedy went on. Our lock-in was in the room near the kitchen. It was small and the male and female bathrooms were in different directions. Nobody went down the wrong hallway. Our group was small . . .10-12 kids with 3-4 adults. It was not a sexually chargd amosphere at all. It was just a lot of talk and junk food. Teens bond by spending time together and the lock-ins made the youth group as tightly knit as some of the teens' other social groups. It kept those youth group friendships competitive with the school friendships.

At a chaperoned Christian overnight party, my girlfriends and I left the building and drove around town in the dark with boys we barely knew. As far as I know, none of the leaders (or our parents) ever knew anything about it. I also know for a fact that some inappropriate touching went on in the fully lit gym, with everyone present and almost everyone none the wiser.

So, no, I wouldn't let my child go to a co-ed overnight lock-in.

Heh. I went to two or three of those back when I was a teen and my mom made me go to the local Assembly of God church. They were a great chance to get to know the guys at the church better, if you know what I mean. ;) Definitely not something I'd be likely to let my dd do when she's older, if we were Christians.

:iagree: Mergath. I only read the OP and Mergath's follow up. I was going to voice this exactly - and, I am a Christian. Just not a good idea.

When they are properly supervised and planned, I think lock-ins are harmless and fun and probably serve the purpose of helping kids bond with their peers. I've watched my son go from being acquainted with kids to thinking of them as friends after participating in lock-ins and similar programs.

I've chaperoned such events and never had the slightest concern about things getting out of hand. And I enjoy getting to know the kids and watching them get to know each other better, too.

I don't understand the negativity. (Well, I "understand" it, but I don't relate.)

I agree with this. That being said, my children never went to one because they preferred to be in their own bed sleeping at night. A whole night planned without sleep just seems a little strange to me.

Three of my daughters did attend our small church's all-girls' lock-in, which had as many moms as girls and bed-time was at midnight.

I have never heard about such things until I read about it here.

Well, I just found out about them this past summer and boy did I take a lot of flack from our church b/c I would not let my Dc participate.

No background checks were done. Parents were not told anything about any of the unknown adults who would be attending from other churches. The church made it an 'outreach' and many kids brought 'friends' who are not from our church or our denomination. There were going to be lots of people, kids and adults, attending whom we had never met. Frankly, I was floored by the attitude from the other parents at our church, which was that "it's a church function so it has to be okay." ---which was mentioned by another poster.

Ds also wanted to sleep in his own bed. I cannnot stay over b/c of my health and what happens to me if I don't sleep, so I would not have been there to supervise. Dd has a long list of food allergies and there is no way I would trust any of the adults with her.

I was also disgusted by the pressure that was put on me especially. No matter what it would do to my health, the families at our church continued to pressure me, even when I repeated over and over that I would be in pain for days and lose at least half a week recovering. You would have thought my kids were going to hell b/c we wouldn't stay over night!

If people want to participate, fine, but, as another poster mentioned, choosing not to is a valid option.

Aside from all the naughtiness that can happen, I am a real party popper b/c I am not interested in encouraging unhealthy sleep patterns. I'm also not a big fan of 'confessional' type conversations that seem to happen in the wee hours among 'friends'. I don't buy the argument that Dc can build their faith there. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's certainly not the only place to do so. We see lots of faith building in conversations at home and from daily Bible study, prayer, thoughtfulness, and everyday living. We did attend one night of the lock in without staying overnight, and Dh and I heard some ideas being preached that gave us pause.

I attended 3 lock-ins as a teenager. One at my church, one at another church, and one was a huge city-wide overnight event. I always had a good time. I believe they were well chaperoned and organized. But I was also a "good" kid and never would have thought about doing anything bad at one of those events.

Now my husband on the other hand..he went to one at his church and he said there was some sexual stuff going on during a movie and when it was found out, the kids were kicked out of church events... the girl was mortified and after much time had passed she tried to come back but she was completely ostracized.

I will say this... having seen how our church plans lock-ins... I'd rather my kids not go. I'd prefer single sex lock-ins or something that only goes till midnight. For one...after about midnight our church cannot get enough volunteers to stay all night and it is usually 30+ kids with one male and one female keeping track of them all.... not good supervision in my estimation.

It's not only churches that do these lock-in things. I have no idea why anyone thinks they are a good idea. My ds will not be participating in any lock-ins if I have anything to say about it.

Our tennis club does them for kids, billed as a "parent's night out". It costs $5, and we dropped our kids off, they played tennis, watched a movie, had pizza, and we picked them up at 10:00.

They were younger than puberty-age, though, so that might have something to do with it. All good, clean fun, with plenty of exercise to boot.

Our tennis club does them for kids, billed as a "parent's night out". It costs $5, and we dropped our kids off, they played tennis, watched a movie, had pizza, and we picked them up at 10:00.

They were younger than puberty-age, though, so that might have something to do with it. All good, clean fun, with plenty of exercise to boot.

The school had an activity afternoon, then supper and sleepover. The activities were mixed, then the sleeping arrangements were separate. It was a fun way of bonding with new classmates.

Laura

Heh. I went to two or three of those back when I was a teen and my mom made me go to the local Assembly of God church. They were a great chance to get to know the guys at the church better, if you know what I mean. ;) Definitely not something I'd be likely to let my dd do when she's older, if we were Christians.

This is what I remember of lock-ins too.

If it were a matter of picking them up at 10pm or even midnight, that would be a different story. I thought the OP was talking about an overnight lock-in, though. That is what I do not like.

Oh, boy... I haven't read the responses, but a lot of people here seem to have a 'youth groups are horrid' mentality, so you'll most likely get some interesting horror stories and strong opinions against lock ins.

Then there's me. :D (And some others, of course)

I think that a lock-in, WELL DONE, is a great thing. They're fun, they're not scary, and they are well organized, led, and planned out.

Our youth have a lock in every NYE. It's well done. We block off/lock areas of the church that would provide privacy ;) with the exception of the leader's room. We have adults - lots and lots of chaperones - EVERYWHERE. We constantly police the areas the kids are in. DH and a couple other 'security' guys also police the areas the kids AREN'T supposed to be in (we're not stupid or naive). We have activities planned all night for the kids to participate in. We get big inflatables - some we've had in the past are an obstacle course, a bungee run, boxing, some sort of huge soccer/netted thing, and king of the mountain (most are usually set up in the gym, but we've used the youth sanctuary and even the main sanctuary). We've had the bull. We have a small bonfire outside in the open area of the parking lot where we allow the kids. We have 3 on 3 basketball tournaments, ping pong tournaments, and pool tournaments. We did a cornhole tournament one year, too. We serve them pizza and a soda (included in cost) around 12:30/1am (I've been at Domino's for the official new year a couple times :D ) and have the cafe open for them to buy drinks/snacks all night long. We've had local bands play a small 'concert' before. We've done '___'s Got Talent' before (which I got to help judge, and it was a dream come true ;) lol) around 3-4am. (The night starts around 10 - doors open at 9 and we take their keys, give them a 'paid' wristband and a ticket stub for their pizza/drink, and make them sign a form. Only kids in the correct age group are allowed in - 12-19. There is a short service before midnight, and all the inflatables and everything open up after midnight - they're released from the service and countdown to go get their pizza if they want, and then they can participate in whatever they choose.) We've also had Guitar Hero tournaments. Even when the tournaments aren't going on, we have video games set up and they are welcome to play any of our game tables. We send them all back into the youth sanctuary at 6:30am so we can get everything cleaned up, and their parents are supposed to come get them at 7 (and those that drive can obviously then get their keys and leave). There's never any sleeping/laying down or anything like that.

Anyway. Like I said, a WELL DONE lock in is a great, fun thing. Not all are well done, and a well done one doesn't have to look like ours. They just have to be well supervised and keep kids out of areas/classrooms where they can get into trouble. ;) And keep them busy - lots of other things to do helps keep them occupied. :)

Sounds a lot like our church's lock ins. They keep those kids hopping. Generally for a group of 30-40 kids, there will be at least 20 adults

• 1 year later...

I think they are pointless and asinine.  Why haul a sleeping bag somewhere to sleep in a floor when you have a perfectly good and comfy bed a mile or so away?  But then again, I feel the same way about camping.  DD's youth group is having a lock-in at the church in a few weeks.  I normally don't let my kids stay overnight anywhere, but I am getting lenient in my dotage and don't care if she attends, but I flat-out will not participate or supervise.  Bunch of screaming tweens at a sleepover?  No thanks.

I went as a kid, and yeah- the hormones get out of control:glare:. There is ALWAYS somewhere to sneak off to. Did I do that? No, mostly because I didn't attend the Tony Christian school everyone else did, so only my cousin ever talked to me at those things. But I walked into the bathroom and saw two kids...uh...you know...in a stall. Two much loved, very christian, well behaved kids whose parents were pillars of the church (one was even there, too, as a chaperone, at all these thing).

To me, not wanting your kids out at a lock in is not the same as not letting them do normal every day activities. They are coed (well, ours always were) and how many of us would allow a coed sleepover?

I'm pretty liberal with my parenting, I don't know if my boys would go or not (moot since we don't attend church) , but I don't think it's odd to be concerned about lockins.

That was my experience in middle/high school. Bullying, popular kids hooking up, and just plain not much fun for a nerdy, introverted kid who tends to get exhausted in groups anyway. Having said that, I was in Alpha Phi Omega in college, and we had a lot of service projects where we stayed in churches overnight or camped out, co-Ed. Much different feel, and I think it's because we knew each other, trusted each other, and that stuff simply didn't happen, even between people who were very actively involved with each other outside the group. If a youth group has such a feel and family relationship, I think it could be a great experience.

I'm not anti-youth group, so it's hard for me to understand that mentality.

That mentality comes from too many youth groups that are staffed by non-adults (by which I mean people who are early 20s, have no kids, or WORSE: people who are 30+ but act like teenagers and want the teenagers to think they are cool) who do nothing but confirm for the kids that their parents are too strict and too uncool, do/say other things to undermine the parents in the kids' eyes, do not present substantive theological or moral teaching, and basically hand the kids a watered down kool-aid version of the gospel.  They encourage childishness rather than nudging them further on to adulthood.  Christian parents of teens get enough of that from the world at large; it's doubly offensive when it comes from a youth group leader.

As for lock-ins: no.  I keep hearing how fun they are, but that just doesn't cut it for me.  I have never heard a single reason why this version of having fun should be preferred over more socially normative versions (that is, participating in a regular activity during normal hours and then going home).  Lots of things are fun.  There is no reason that they need to take place overnight with a co-ed sleepover (seriously, what ever happened to teaching kids, and adults, to avoid the near occasion of sin - alcoholics don't go to bars and hormone driven teens don't do co-ed sleepovers, this seems such a "DUH!" I don't understand that adults are willing to even entertain the notion).

i was in a well-run youth group of good kids when I was that age.  Doing something wrong wasn't even tempting, and I was definitely tempted in other situations.  Thinking back, there was too many kids in too small of a space to do anything we weren't supposed to do.  We stayed in the fellowship hall.  

Note, the youth groups in our area had frequent dances so that might have burnt out some of the male-female tension.  Someone else mentioned that the kids were like siblings, and that was a pretty good description.  

I missed that it was an old thread and started handing out the "likes".

Mergath, if you're reading, it was a pleasure to agree with your 2012 self. LOL. Sorry!

I think the spam post was deleted. There was a link in it, and the poster had a low post count, so I reported it. I have seen that spam MO here before. Turkeys!

I think the spam post was deleted. There was a link in it, and the poster had a low post count, so I reported it. I have seen that spam MO here before. Turkeys!

They've been really aggressive lately! I think we've been forgetting to **** all our naughty words or something.

Not naughty-naughty words -- I mean the perfectly legitimate words that adults can handle but that attract spammers.

They've been really aggressive lately! I think we've been forgetting to **** all our naughty words or something.

Not naughty-naughty words -- I mean the perfectly legitimate words that adults can handle but that attract spammers.

Ah, didn't realize that. ITA, they have been aggressive - and pesky - lately. 

(snipped)

If I had one complaint, it's that the lock-ins always end at 7:00 am and that is way too early to pull myself out of bed to go get them.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:  Seriously- 7am is just so so wrong.

But I do appreciate that our church does NOT allow teen drivers to drive themselves to overnight events- they actually stay up all night, and do not want teens driving themselves on zero sleep. :hurray: