Menu

really nervous-County spelling bee

happycc

One of my daughters will be in the county spelling bee and the other daughter is an alternate. They are twins.

We have used All about Spelling and Spelling Power.

I can attest to these two curriculum to help with the spelling bee win we had last month leading to the county competition. Has anyone else had kids who have won spelling bee and going to county? How was county spelling bee? What was state spelling bee like? I am hoping I will not be going into labor during spelling.

I'm not sure what you mean by "county" and "state" spelling bee. :confused: The Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee has its regional bees usually in March and the winners of those go on to compete in D.C. Are you talking about some other spelling competition?

If you haven't already gotten your DC some prep materials from Hexco, I would strongly recommend it. The least expensive option is Valerie's Spelling Bee Supplement.

Well my kids are completing in the county spelling bee where their charter school is located and then if they do well on that they go and compete state level (sonoma state) with all the kids who won the county spelling bee of whereever they are located. Then if they win state level spelling bee then they go to the nationals.

This is what i understand it as...according to the paperwork I have been give.

A long time ago I was in one. When I got to it I discovered that while I had been trying to study all different spelling words from different sources, most of the kids had a thin booklet to study from which all the words were drawn. My school apparently did not know about the thin booklet.

One of my daughters will be in the county spelling bee and the other daughter is an alternate. They are twins.

We have used All about Spelling and Spelling Power.

I can attest to these two curriculum to help with the spelling bee win we had last month leading to the county competition. Has anyone else had kids who have won spelling bee and going to county? How was county spelling bee? What was state spelling bee like? I am hoping I will not be going into labor during spelling.

Good Luck!!! It is a dream of mine to have a child compete or win a spelling bee one day!!!

The one homeschool stereotype I'd like to live up to!! :lol:

Yes, oldest dd (7th grade) went through these this past spring and fall. Our bees are not associated with the Scripps National bee. It was sort of an odd progression. Our homeschool group contact person received the word lists for the three divisions, 3rd-5th, 6th-8th, and 9th-12th grades. If we wanted our child to compete, we followed the directions for giving them the word list as a written test. The top homeschooler in our group from each division went on to the county bee. The county bee was held in late spring at the community college in our town and was also a written test. They took the kids to another room and administered the test (25 words, plus 5 tiebreaker words). DD won the 6th-8th grade division for county went to the state bee. They held that at the state fair, also as written test. They only announced the top 3, so we don't know how she did overall. The winner was a boy who had been to the state bee 5 times already. It was an interesting process and a good excuse to go the fair, since we'd never been (3 hr drive). The bee's process ends at the state level here.

DD did no preparation beyond the tons of reading she normally does. We did a free spelling curriculum off the internet for 1st through 5th grades. She is just a natural speller.

Erica in OR

Well my kids are completing in the county spelling bee where their charter school is located and then if they do well on that they go and compete state level (sonoma state) with all the kids who won the county spelling bee of whereever they are located. Then if they win state level spelling bee then they go to the nationals.

This is what i understand it as...according to the paperwork I have been give.

It sounds like this is a competition restricted to PS students (including some virtual charters). Our charter does not participate so I don't know anything about it. I did find a video of the 2009 state competition here. HTH!

I hope that I do not go into labor to the drive and back and during.. Please pray. Send us good thoughts. Whatever.

I had a long talk with this baby last night that he/she/they cannot disrupt his sisters opportunity to be in a county spelling bee.

I put myself in semi bedrest all day yesterday and today. Made sure I didn;t eat anything spicy or gassy. Took extra magnesium citrate to keep the contractions down.

My daughters has been studying the little booklet that the county gave her and she knows those words left and right. She is doing the elementary list. We have been studying those words methodically for 2 months using the Spelling Power 10 step method.

90 % of the words are from that elementary list and 10% pulled from another list and we have been studying the junior high list they had for the junior highers. Perhaps they will grab from that list. Who knows.

I will keep you all posted. If she does well on this test, then off to state. But I believe homeschoolers can partake in this test too. But I may be wrong. It is the county spelling bee that leads to State. That is all I know. Looking at the sonoma state website thanks crimson...it doesn;t look like it goes to national right? National is for high schoolers not elementary school. Or maybe it is for middle schoolers. Scripps is for what ages?

Edited by happycc

I'm not sure what you mean by "county" and "state" spelling bee. :confused: The Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee has its regional bees usually in March and the winners of those go on to compete in D.C. Are you talking about some other spelling competition?
Before I go into my spiel, I agree with you that Hexco products are worth a look even though they can be expensive.

There are many paths spellers take to qualify for the Scripps National Spelling Bee, depending on where they live. The "Howard" part was dropped a few years ago. Our family just calls the National Bee "Scripps" to make it less of a mouthful.

In our area homeschooled spellers compete in a local homeschool bee, then the regional bee, then the national bee. The ps students in our county compete in classroom, school, county, regional, then nationals. But when my dc went to the Scripps they met children who had competed in district, county, regional, city, state, and even country bees. Which bee fed into which varied. Some states such as Alabama have state bees and only send one speller to Scripps for the entire state from a very competitive state bee. Some cities, such as NY, NY, send a couple of spellers. OTOH, some states, such as Ohio (where Scripps is based), send a bunch of spellers. Children from other countries compete at the province and/or country level before Scripps. Usually a country, such as Jamaica or S. Korea, sends just one speller. Canada has varied the number of spellers they have sent, from 2-6 in past years.

All this crazy path variation is based on a clunky inherited system of sponsorship. In the old days, only newspapers sponsored a speller by paying to run the qualifying bee and for the winner's trip to D.C. The newspapers would call the shots as to which bee eventually fed to Scripps. More sponsors willing to spend the money = more spellers from a particular general area. Newspapers have been dropping their sponsorships in recent years as they have fallen on financial hard times. Nowadays the sponsorships are likely to be from libraries, community foundations, radio and tv stations, and even doctors' offices. Sometimes, unfortunately, a sponsor drops but no one picks it up. So if you had looked at the Speller Roster from the 2012 Scripps Bee, you would have found 16 from California but only one from Nevada, and no speller from Martinsburg, WV, because the sponsor had dropped. This year Canada sent three spellers, but in 2011 they only sent two.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading. Spelling bees are kind of a hobby for me. :)

Best wishes in your spelling study!

GardenMom

I will keep you all posted. If she does well on this test, then off to state. But I believe homeschoolers can partake in this test too. But I may be wrong. It is the county spelling bee that leads to State. That is all I know. Looking at the sonoma state website thanks crimson...it doesn;t look like it goes to national right? National is for high schoolers not elementary school. Or maybe it is for middle schoolers. Scripps is for what ages?

I hope it went well for her and that your baby waited! :001_smile:

The Scripps National Bee is for 4th-8th graders.

From the Scripps Rules for Local Spelling Bees (that feed into the Scripps National Spelling Bee):

1. 3. "The speller must not have passed beyond the eighth grade on or before February 1, 2013."

1. 9. "The speller must not have reached his/her 15th birthday on or before August 31, 2012."

There is no lower age limit, unless a sponsor chooses to make one. Some do. Many don't, and there have been some pretty young spellers at Scripps. There are usually at least a couple of 3rd graders. A homeschooled 6-year-old competed in Scripps in 2012. She was the youngest ever, and caused quite a media stir.

happycc, could your dd be competing in the ACSI Spelling Bee?

There is no lower age limit, unless a sponsor chooses to make one. Some do. Many don't, and there have been some pretty young spellers at Scripps. There are usually at least a couple of 3rd graders. A homeschooled 6-year-old competed in Scripps in 2012. She was the youngest ever, and caused quite a media stir.

That's right, I forgot about that! Our regional bee has the lower limit (although I don't know if someone has ever contested it), and I forgot that wasn't the national requirement.