Menu

Should I adjust WWE level? (CAPD/Dyslexia?)

My dd11 (12 in January) is struggling with WWE4! We are in Week 8, and she has been doing OK up until now, but has become quite frustrated lately. I think there is more than one issue at hand....CAPD may be part of it (she has an audiologist appt Nov 20th), or possibly mild dyslexia. 1) She can't read some of the words fluently...the past two days I recorded words she had trouble reading: abruptly, orbiter, continents, presidential, observations, artificial, irrigate, media. (There were a few other words, but not ones I would expect her to know...like siege or enigmatic or surreal.) She can usually get them eventually if I let her struggle long enough, but its definitely not fluent reading, and she doesn't want to read the material because it is challenging. (She also loses her place often.) 2) She isn't comprehending the information well enough to summarize, especially on non-fiction text. (This is actually the main issue.) 3) She's having trouble with the memorization...she can't even repeat a single word to me correctly sometimes, much less a whole sentence. I chose WWE because I felt like it was good for her auditory issues, and I selected down two grades to allow for her difficulties, but she is finding it quite frustrating, so now I am not sure what to do. Her little sister, 7, is easily doing WWE2....I could move her down to that level....but I don't feel that is age appropriate writing expectations for a bright 6th grader. Suggestions? Should I just try to get through WWE4 until after our audiologist appt? Just finish Rewards Intermediate we started this summer? (and not do any writing for the time being?) Other suggestions? Her reading isn't horrible....but like her vocabulary, just not to where it should be. [And she's having more problems socially with her speech than these academic issues...which is why we have the appointment. I'm just not sure what to do until we testing.]

I would not have been able to use WWE/WWS (any of them) with my dyslexic son (the 16yo). The demand on working memory was too great. Personally, from what you've written here, I'd take her out of WWE and have her work on decoding and fluency. For decoding, I'd finish REWARDS, and for fluency, I'd have her read aloud to you *every* day from books that are easy for her to read fluently, even if you have to back up to first grade material. Have her work up to reading aloud for 30 minutes at a stretch and then gradually increase the reading level of the books over time.

As for writing, have her write about things she finds interesting in history and/or science. You can add in a formal writing program after her reading is solid.

I'd either go to WWE2, or modify WWE4 so that she can successfully do it, or not try to use WWE at all. WWE is not necessarily a great program for students with LD type issues. Also, they are by level, not necessarily by grade. Somewhere there is a test for deciding which level a child is ready for. You could also call and talk to folks at Peace Hill.

I generally agree with EKS re: decoding, fluency work. And I think trying to use something where the reading level is too hard does not make sense--but you could modify by reading it to her and discussing the meaning before she tried to do narration, if that then made it possible. Most writing work done before my ds could read well was futile.

FWIW, I am using a group of things right now including WWE4 (chosen because at this point, for ds, the readings are at a right level), but taking it very slowly, and making modifications, particularly to the dictations, which are way too long for ds. I have broken dictations into more sentences, repeated them more times than indicated (including continuing to repeat as he writes, rather than requiring the memorization called for) , and eliminated some words. I am also considering switching to allow him to work on the computer which is how he does most writing as that eliminates some of the dys. issues. It also gives some immediate spell check help.

Although I was somewhat disappointed by the Brave Writer online class, in general, that approach is working much better for my ds, as is the IEW approach, which he just agreed to try again, though he does not much like it. I am using WWE to some degree anyway because 1) we are doing a lot of writing this year and too much of any one thing gets dull, and 2) I think it is one more useful set of skills to work on.

Writing Skills by King would give some writing practice and be much easier to manage, probably--but may be very dull indeed for a bright 6th grader.

Anyway, your dd is where she is--not where you think she "should" be according to age or grade.

Edited by Pen

Don't feel bad. WWE4 is said to be tough. There was a post not that long ago, perhaps from SWB herself, that a student can go from WWE3 to WWS and be fine. As the PP's indicated, this series may not be the best for you, but even if it is, WWE4 is not worth the battle right now if she's getting frustrated. If your dd is anything like mine, frustration should be avoided at all costs.

If you already have WWE2 on hand, you could try that, unless it would put a chip on her shoulder that her little sister is doing the same thing. Even if you don't think it's quite up to her level, I think there are good skills to be gleaned. Or if you have another option that she likes, go with that instead.

My dd with CAPD is very bright but we've had our struggles with finding materials that suit her. We've had our share of false starts. But despite the CAPD and having to switch curricula, I think she's been pretty successful at developing the skills she needs. Try different things, see what works, and go with it...regardless of what everyone else is using.

Thanks, all of you. I think I will try having her do WW2...and doing it more like WWE4 format (so separate from her sister.) I did try WWE2 with her before...maybe 3 years ago with her older brothers...and it was impossible then, but I think she can do it, now...hopefully. That way she still gets the narration and dictation practice, but for shorter, easier passages. Then, if after testing we have suggestions, I can incorporate those....I don't want to buy anything else at the moment and have it all change after testing. Sounds like a plan for the next month, anyway...thanks! Though I'd still be interested in what other people use for writing with CAPD kids....around 12yo?

WWE 4 was hard for my ds. I modified it a lot. I split the dictations. I repeated as often as necessary. One thing he does often that is typical for dyslexics is to replace words with similar words. When he does this I simply tell him the correct word and move on.

I read everything aloud to him. We're doing WWS and I read mostly everything aloud.

As I said level 4 is hard so if you go back levels that's okay. :)

I would not have been able to use WWE/WWS (any of them) with my dyslexic son (the 16yo). The demand on working memory was too great. Personally, from what you've written here, I'd take her out of WWE and have her work on decoding and fluency. For decoding, I'd finish REWARDS, and for fluency, I'd have her read aloud to you *every* day from books that are easy for her to read fluently, even if you have to back up to first grade material. Have her work up to reading aloud for 30 minutes at a stretch and then gradually increase the reading level of the books over time.

As for writing, have her write about things she finds interesting in history and/or science. You can add in a formal writing program after her reading is solid.

:iagree:WWE was a huge failure here. Remembering the details and then recalling the words was way too much. We are nearly done with REWARDs, and the results have been dramatic in pushing ds's reading level forward. I think we will move to more fluency work with some Sopris materials, and continue having him read aloud too.

We do continue dictation to improve working memory, but I have ds type the dictations from AAS, which are current with his level of spelling. This way it separates the task of building up the working memory from spelling and writing and doesn't overload him cognitively with several skills at once.

• 2 weeks later...
:iagree:WWE was a huge failure here. Remembering the details and then recalling the words was way too much. We are nearly done with REWARDs, and the results have been dramatic in pushing ds's reading level forward. I think we will move to more fluency work with some Sopris materials, and continue having him read aloud too.

We do continue dictation to improve working memory, but I have ds type the dictations from AAS, which are current with his level of spelling. This way it separates the task of building up the working memory from spelling and writing and doesn't overload him cognitively with several skills at once.

Sorry I'm late to the party. My odd has CAPD and is struggling with writing too. It looks like you're doing REWARDS Intermediate. Have you used REWARDS Writing? I ask b/c my odd is doing different reading program and I feel it's working for her. Writing is her Achilles heel and the bane of my existence right now.

I didn't even know Rewards Writing existed. I'll keep it in mind for next year. Right now she is doing really well with WWE2 at double pace!! I feel like its kinda light on the writing requirements, but its good practice for her listening, so I'm willing to overlook the amount of writing. However, I do see needing to look at some other resources at some point, so I'd love to hear what works with teaching writing to these kids!