Menu

Spelling vs. Vocabulary for the Spelling-Challenged???

napualani

My almost 11-yo daughter is spelling-challenged. A former teacher of hers commented a couple times that research has shown there is such a thing as a "spelling gene," and my daughter probably doesn't have it.

We used Sequential Spelling 1 last year and she actually liked that okay. We were also using Spelling City, where I would have her study lists from the Caught Ya's that we were doing, along with vocabulary from books she read.

This year we are trying Megawords, but we are just not feeling it, and I haven't found a vocabulary program that I like yet. She is writing a lot more, so we do have opportunities to work on spelling that way, but I want something more formal.

I'm considering going back to Sequential Spelling, but am curious to know about some other programs. I didn't like the look of Spelling Power or some of the other big names. I just don't know that drills are all that helpful. The Rod and Staff program sounds interesting, but will it include Bible verses or biblical references? I'd really like a secular program.

Honestly, I'm wondering if I should just find a good vocabulary program to focus on. At this point I'm willing to let go of the fact that my daughter is just not a good speller. However, I would like for her to build up her vocabulary.

Are there any other families who have gone through this and found some good spelling or vocabulary programs?

Thanks,

Darlene

I am using SWR, and though my kids are not particularly spelling challenged, I have a friend who uses SWR who had a couple of kids that were really spelling challenged. She first found it when her oldest was 14yo, and he went up 6 levels in one year of instruction (though you probably wouldn't see such extreme improvement in much younger children).

Why did you switch from Sequential Spelling? My DD is spelling challenged, especially when writing in her subjects (as opposed to on spelling quizzes). Sequential Spelling is working well so far for her! I use the DVDs, and I ripped them onto my computer and put them on the ipod for her to watch (with headphones) and do her lists completely independent from me. It is helping her spelling across the board, but it's slow progress (at least it is progress!!).

For vocab we are using Wordly Wise workbooks. I don't expect her to spell these words correctly unless she has covered them in her spelling program (or she has access to the list of words while doing the assignment). I use it not for spelling, but for increasing her reading and writing vocab. I know spelling is really hard for her (me too), but I don't want that to hamper her reading/written vocabulary (like it plagued my own written vocab for years).

Do you read aloud to her? That and conversation (where you don't dumb down your vocabulary) are two of the best ways of building up vocabulary. My kids are 15 and 13 and we still read almost every night, and both test extremely high for vocab. For spelling, I started All About Spelling when they were 11 and 9, and it's been VERY helpful for us. My oldest is almost done with the program, and his spelling has improved by leaps and bounds. Here's a link to my review.

Hope you find something that will work for you and your family! Merry :-)

I have yet to find a spelling program that worked for DS. He does not learn from drill (in any subject) but will often remember something by using it often. That's why I decided on Wordly Wise this year.

I require correct spelling of the words in the book but he always has access to copy them. He would hate to have to copy them for the sake of copying, but in the context of learning vocab we are actually sneaking in some spelling as well.

He has a strong vocab already but as most of his reading is done independently he often doesn't know about the alternative meanings of words or correct pronounciation. He reads well above grade level so we are using Wordly Wise to match his reading level.

He is enjoying it and I see an improvement in his spelling from it too. It also has the added benefit of working on test taking skills.