Menu

What do you think of the name Zion?

People can name their children whatever they choose. There is always a reason--religious, family, culture, etc. There will always be people who dislike that reason. I know how one group (and one certain poster who always seems to start it) seems to get their kicks from poking fun at ethnic sounding names. You just have to hope the child is strong enough to handle it.

:iagree:

I see that Spycar already has covered the issues I posed and more.

I would probably not choose Zion as a name. There are some ideas/people/things that are sacred to me or other cultures. I would not choose something like that. It would seem...irreverent I guess.

Like Spycar mentioned Zion is also a volatile topic.

When naming a kid I try to think about names that would still sound great on the Supreme Court. If someone was named Zion that would freak some out during the nomination process. (And yes, that may sound ridiculous to some people but I think it is a good thing to keep in mind) A name is going to follow someone their entire career....I want something that wears well.

Edited by Sis

I like it, and I like the nickname Zi. Kind of like Zachary becomes Zach.

I don't have any negative connotations with it, but I guess that is something to consider. If that bothered me, I'd stick it as a middle name and still call him Zi/Zion.;) But, I'm stubborn like that.

We also have kids who live up to the meanings of their names (at least so far), both first and middle names, in some way or another. So I'm being very thoughtful about what to name #3. A friend suggested something meaning "prosperous and handsome.":lol:

When naming a kid I try to think about names that would still sound great on the Supreme Court. If someone was named Zion that would freak some out during the nomination process. (And yes, that may sound ridiculous to some people but I think it is a good thing to keep in mind) A name is going to follow someone their entire career....I want something that wears well.

This can be a good reason to put the 'questionable' name in the middle. But still, a guy with an Arabic/Muslim middle name got into the Oval Office just a few years after Muslim extremists attacked the US and a dictator by the same name was captured and executed. Didn't seem to hold back the Prez.;)

Maybe you could go with James Zion instead of Zion James?

I will point out that while it seems a large percent of people posting say they like the name, it's a biased sample. Most of the people that dislike it are being too polite to post. I almost didn't post myself, but then I had to agree with Bill.

Neighbors told me that a previous resident of our house named his child Jihad. (This was after Sept 11.) I doubt using such a loaded name helped him fit in better in the non-Muslim neighborhood.

I imagine that many Muslims might feel similarly uncomfortable around a person named Zion.

:iagree:, particularly with the bolded.

.... Plus it carries a heavy load. I think most people would wonder if the child's parents were either:

A) militant Jewish nationalists

B) Fringe Mormon separatists

C) Christian fundamentalists

D) Fans of Bob Marley who'd smoked a little too much ganja

But your call.

Bill

Laura

Don't like it.

It is not the name of an angel so it doesn't fit a "theme" (of which I am also not a fan). It is not a pretty sounding name. Plus it carries a heavy load. I think most people would wonder if the child's parents were either:

A) militant Jewish nationalists

B) Fringe Mormon separatists

C) Christian fundamentalists

D) Fans of Bob Marley who'd smoked a little too much ganja

But your call.

Bill

Lol.

I wouldn't choose it, but I've known 2 people named Thor now & while I was at first surprised, now I just think of it as a strong Nordic name. As long as I can say it and spell it I'm ok with it.

I too have a friend named Thor. I think, perhaps without the connection, I wouldn't like the name, but as it is--I like it. (though i probably wouldn't choose it for one of my children).

My Thor-friend is black-haired, probably 130 pounds and 5'2". :)

I too have a friend named Thor. I think, perhaps without the connection, I wouldn't like the name, but as it is--I like it. (though i probably wouldn't choose it for one of my children).

My Thor-friend is black-haired, probably 130 pounds and 5'2". :)

Both Thors I've known have been 6'2" or taller and blonde. They were also of Nordic decent, common in our area, so perhaps family names.

This can be a good reason to put the 'questionable' name in the middle. But still, a guy with an Arabic/Muslim middle name got into the Oval Office just a few years after Muslim extremists attacked the US and a dictator by the same name was captured and executed. Didn't seem to hold back the Prez.;)

Barack means Blessing.

However his middle name, Hussein, has been used by people nonstop when they want to be nasty.

I said Supreme Court because IMO "The People" as a whole tend to be more understanding than Congress. ;)

No, I don;t like the name, basically for the reasons Spy Car mentioned though the Matrix allusion is nothing I would want my kid named for either.

I like traditional names for children but I never comment on people who name their kids less traditional names except in a case like this- where I think the name could give a bad reputation. I could see an employer not wanting to employ someone with this name because of the idea that the employee may be some kind of fundamentalist. I think having the name James Zion Lastname takes care of the employment problem since he could always use James Z. Lastname.

Not loving Zion as a name, both for the negative connotations it will inspire, but also because IMO, it's a little too unusual.

Honestly, I wouldn't even know if it was supposed to be for a boy or a girl.

I know I'm boring, but I'm all in favor of "normal" (easy to spell and pronounce) names, especially for boys. I always feel like, if parents loves odd names, they should change their own names instead of burdening their child with a name that people will always shake their heads at, ask him to repeat, ask him to spell, or ask him what it means.

I know I'll probably get flamed for saying that, but it's how I feel. :blush:

• 3 years later...

It struck me as odd when I very first read it, and then grew on me rapidly.

I like it, but I did think it was odd and I did think "what an odd name" thoughts the first few seconds.

But then it grew on me rapidly.

Kind-of like Aubrey, and I even thought it when Jackson and Carter were new to me.

But not anymore than other new-to-me names. I am getting old enough now that I have this response to a lot of baby names.

For me there is no connotation beyond the "it is not familar" feeling, but I have manners and I think I always get over that feeling quickly when I am meeting kids.

And for people around little kids ---- I doubt it will be the most unusual name.

For adults -- it is hard to say what will seem like an odd name 20+ years from now. Very, very hard. I hear people say that, but it is just a blanket argument for a "classic" name. And compelling in its way, but only if that is what you choose.

I've known a few Zions and all but one of them is female. And 2 of them passed away as children/teens. I know an adult male named Zion/Xion, he hates his name and goes by his lastname.

Edited by Gil

Well, Jubilee has a Jewish connotation but people don't necessarily associate it that way anymore. My first name is Jewish but only Jewish people know that. But Zion is a very Christian name as well, actually.

Raphael is not in our canon of Scripture. Plus I'm not a fan of Raffi.

I grew up on XMen comics. I associate Jubilee with the little Wolverine fangirl.

I like it.  I've been thinking about some Biblical names I had never considered while I was naming my kids that I now love and have added a few recently.

Girl:

Galilee -- Nickname Lily

Genesis --  Nickname Gennie

Jubilee -- Nickname Juju

Eden

Boy:

Judah

Zion

Jordan

I don't mind names that have origin in place names.  How many of our now common names are old English/Gaelic or other language place names?  Glenn, Brook, Dale, etc. 

All gorgeous,

I think it's a name that would carry a stereotype, throughout his adult life even.  My first thought is of a zealous Jewish community.  That doesn't make it right or wrong, just something to consider.

One of my dd's has a very Jewish name, and her nickname is even more Jewish, even though we are not Jewish.  She has had many, many people refer to her as Jewish, and just assume she is.  (She is actually named after a real Jewish woman who really inspired me.  My dd likes it very much!  :))

But Zion, in my mind, goes beyond that in its meaning.  Again, not right or wrong.

I don't care for it. Somehow, the sound of it makes me feel like you are making a statement that he is the last. I am not sure why. Plus, it seems not open ended. Like, his life is already decided for him. It seems like it would hold him in one box, not let him be free to be him. As if others will make assumptions about him based on the name.

But, this is your baby, not mine. You might hate my children's names. You should go with what you like.