Menu

What do you think of the name Zion?

It would be for a boy. Our other two boys are Gabriel and Michael. We lost the twin of this baby and we named it Jordan since it can go for either a boy or girl. So what do you think of Zion to go with it? I also like that it relates to my two angel names. His middle name would be James most likely.

Thanks for the input! I don't like to ask my family and friends about these things....

Honestly, I think it's a bit over-the-top. However, it's your child, kwim?

:iagree::iagree:

It's a little too much for me too. And I just did a quick poll of three people and asked them for their reactions to see if I was having a weird one and everyone asked, "Are they Jewish?"

None of us think there's anything WRONG with being Jewish either. So if you are, poof! Everyone will know. :lol:

• Like 2

Well, Jubilee has a Jewish connotation but people don't necessarily associate it that way anymore. My first name is Jewish but only Jewish people know that. But Zion is a very Christian name as well, actually.

Raphael is not in our canon of Scripture. Plus I'm not a fan of Raffi.

To give you a non-Christian perspective, when I hear the word "Zion" the first thing I think of is the ranch those extremist Mormons had, "Yearning for Zion" or whatever it was. Other than having heard it in that context, I've only ever heard it in church names, like "Zion Lutheran."

• Like 1

I'd think it is an unusual name and wonder if you were Jewish, or if I knew you were'nt what the religious or even political connotation is for you. And then my mind would wonder to the place in the Matrix movie...

I wouldn't make the direct connotation with an angel name. How about Raphael to go with Gabriel and Michael?

Don't like it.

It is not the name of an angel so it doesn't fit a "theme" (of which I am also not a fan). It is not a pretty sounding name. Plus it carries a heavy load. I think most people would wonder if the child's parents were either:

A) militant Jewish nationalists

B) Fringe Mormon separatists

C) Christian fundamentalists

D) Fans of Bob Marley who'd smoked a little too much ganja

But your call.

Bill

• Like 2

To give you a non-Christian perspective, when I hear the word "Zion" the first thing I think of is the ranch those extremist Mormons had, "Yearning for Zion" or whatever it was. Other than having heard it in that context, I've only ever heard it in church names, like "Zion Lutheran."

And I'm a Christian and I agree. Actually Zion is a cool sounding name but I also think of that Yearning for Zion ranch.

That same group is from the Short Creek area (Ariz Utah border). Here's a video of a kid (sometimes with a foul mouth) driving through it narrating what he's filming. One thing I remember is that several houses said ZION over the front door. Just skip to about 3:25 for a few seconds and then 5:25 (but stop soon after that -- bad language) and 6:50 and 7:25 - you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTv4zVyTk_8&feature=related

So, when I hear the name Zion I think of the houses that have Zion all over their front doors.

But, it's up to you and dh to decide. It IS cool-sounding and I think it's a nice name with the special meaning as it is connected to Jordan, but it's also good to know where your chosen name is "out there." Personally, I'd rather know before naming a child than after what connotations are associated with the name and where the name is "out there" in the world. If you choose Zion for your boy, then you'll choose it somewhat informed.

I personally don't like Zion but it's your baby, name it what YOU will love. Everyone warned me not to use Jackson because it was so popular, there were numerous polls on babycenter with people saying they HATED it. I loved it then, and I still love it now. We consistently have at least one other Jackson wherever we go, Nd it doesn't bother me at all :).

Spy Car, Jews would probably use the variation Tzion. Never heard it though, not alone.

I've never heard of a Jew named Zion or Tzion, as it makes no sence as a personal name, really. Bentzion is a different story.

My comments are about what people might assume in the General Public, and I think there some would wonder I'd the parents were ardent nationalists.

Hmm, angel names.

Uriel, Uziel, Ariel, Amiel, Raphael, Raziel?

I don't know who came up with the angel names, but (other than Raphael which is a good one, and Ariel which is not bad) this was the best they could do? :D

Bill

I'm a fan of unusual names, but I'm not big on this one.

I hear it and think either "fundamentalist Christian" or "fundamentalist Mormon".

However, if you're one of those, why not?

If it makes you happy. . . surely a stranger's thoughts (mine) shouldn't deter you.

(Sometimes I get comments that one of my daughter's names doesn't really match her ethnicity. Oh well, we all like it :))

I know both a little girl and a boy named Zion and I think it's nice. It fits those kids and doesn't stand out like it shouldn't be a name. I am in general not a fan of names that aren't names but this one doesn't bother me. I have no idea how an adult would feel about his name though.

Don't like it.

It is not the name of an angel so it doesn't fit a "theme" (of which I am also not a fan). It is not a pretty sounding name. Plus it carries a heavy load. I think most people would wonder if the child's parents were either:

But your call.

Bill

Goodness, I'm agreeing with Bill on all counts--pretty sure that's a first. :001_smile:

• Like 1

Maybe you could go with James Zion instead of Zion James?

I will point out that while it seems a large percent of people posting say they like the name, it's a biased sample. Most of the people that dislike it are being too polite to post. I almost didn't post myself, but then I had to agree with Bill.

Neighbors told me that a previous resident of our house named his child Jihad. (This was after Sept 11.) I doubt using such a loaded name helped him fit in better in the non-Muslim neighborhood.

I imagine that many Muslims might feel similarly uncomfortable around a person named Zion.

Don't like it.

Bill

I vividly remember a movie in college about the formation of Israel and the relationship with the rest of the Middle East. All I can think of when I hear Zion now is this one old man who survived the concentration camps just screaming, "Give us our Zion! Look what you did to us!" and I get a little pit in my stomach.

That's why for me, the name Zion makes me now think, "Oh! Jewish!"

But I know the hymn Mergath is referring to and it could go that way too.

There was just something about that old man's face that has stuck with me through the years. It looked like he was using the last strength in his body to scream for a nation state of his own.

Don't like it.

I think most people would wonder if the child's parents were either:

But your call.

Bill

Yep.

Maybe you could go with James Zion instead of Zion James?

I will point out that while it seems a large percent of people posting say they like the name, it's a biased sample. Most of the people that dislike it are being too polite to post. I almost didn't post myself, but then I had to agree with Bill.

Neighbors told me that a previous resident of our house named his child Jihad. (This was after Sept 11.) I doubt using such a loaded name helped him fit in better in the non-Muslim neighborhood.

I imagine that many Muslims might feel similarly uncomfortable around a person named Zion.

:iagree:

Don't like it.

But your call.

Bill

I like the name, but that being said...

I know a couple Zions. One of them belongs to a more hippie, pot smoking, yurt dwelling, radical unschooling kind of family. The second is a little boy whose parents are an interesting combination of Spycar's C and D. :lol:

• Like 2

It would be for a boy. Our other two boys are Gabriel and Michael. We lost the twin of this baby and we named it Jordan since it can go for either a boy or girl. So what do you think of Zion to go with it? I also like that it relates to my two angel names. His middle name would be James most likely.

Thanks for the input! I don't like to ask my family and friends about these things....

Technically I find it to be nice-sounding name. However, I do associate "Zion" with religious extremism. For example, I would be reluctant to give a child that name in my part of country because there is a quasi-religious fundamentalist extremist separatist group that may ultimately be labeled a hate group by those in the know.

• Like 1