Menu

Little girls with fine hair and no bangs...

I really don't want to cut bangs on my little girls (5 and 2) because I prefer the no-bangs look. We are also really "low maintenance" about our appearance, and I think that trimming the bangs all that time would be a bother.

Unfortunately, both of them have fine hair that breaks really easily. I always pull the front part of their hair into little ponytails on the tops of their heads, just to keep the hair out of their faces. We use those little clear hair rubber bands. It seems like doing this every day means that the front hair keeps breaking over and over again-- I feel like the hair will never be long enough to actually put into a normal ponytail or half-ponytail or any other style. They always just have the little ponytail right on the top of their head.

I don't know how to french braid, and I don't think that their fine hair could handle that anyway.

We've tried headbands, but they always fall out, and I can't stand it when they have hair in their faces.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Is there a hairstyle or hair product that could help us?

Sorry, but my dd who has the exact hair you're describing has a bob and shortish bangs. If I let it get it longer, or her bangs grow all the way out, she immediately starts to look like a scruffy ragamuffin, no matter how cute her clothes, etc. My sister was the same way. It's kinda just part of the thin fine hair, especially if you're not into high maintenance (I'm not.;))

Those rubber bands are killers for fine hair! My little girls used lined alligator clips like the PP described 90% of the time at that age. We also used little butterfly clips and fabric lined rubber bands. I hate hair in the face and didn't like bangs, so my girls wore bows every day for their first 7 years.

Those rubber bands are killers for fine hair! My little girls used lined alligator clips like the PP described 90% of the time at that age. We also used little butterfly clips and fabric lined rubber bands. I hate hair in the face and didn't like bangs, so my girls wore bows every day for their first 7 years.

:iagree: That's probably why their hair is breaking so much. My middle child also has very fine, thin hair and I only used those snappy clips in hers or fabric covered elastics.

Have you tried non-slip hair clips and snap clips? My DD is only 3 so her hair is still fine and growing out on top. I'm the same: hate seeing hair in her face. I've had good success with these clips, although sometimes I use 4 at once just to keep the wisps under control. I've linked to some pics; these are Aussie sites, but at least you can see what I'm talking about

Snap clips

Non-slip clips

I try to avoid those clear small elastics. They're nasty on the hair. Two French braids work lovely on my daughters hair and spin pins work well now that her hair is a little longer. I've been using braids on her since she was 2.

I caved and gave her bangs last year because it wa easier to make her look cute with them. I'm a fan of less daily work.

I don't know how to french braid, and I don't think that their fine hair could handle that anyway.

A braid protects the hair, keeping it from suffering from abrasion from clothes and such, so it might be a really good idea for your girls' hair. You can find lots of info online about braiding.

My dd has extremely fine hair too, and we finally went with a pixie cut:

602419_10102187353602780_1985656222_n.jpg

(Sorry the picture is huge, not sure how to resize it.)

She has bangs, but they normally just get swept over to the side. A little mousse in the morning, and the hair stays just how she wants it.

I finally gave up on trying to braid it or put it in ponytails when it was longer because it breaks so easily, it was starting to look really frizzy and weird. This works much better.

I wouldn't use the little clear bands; they are hard on hair, especially if you don't cut them out. You might try some covered elastics instead. Be sure to get the kind without any metal on them, like the little colored ones made by Goody.

The no-slip "snappie" barrettes are nice, too. These work well:

http://bowsweet.com/snappies.html

They have "gripper strips" in them that hold them in place. You can find lots of similar ones on Etsy. I tend to like the "snappies" (made from snap clips) better than the "clippies" (made from alligator clips) because they are lighter, and, I think, more comfortable. The clippies would probably be fine for your older girl. A lot of the ones on Etsy and in the store above are lined with velvet ribbon on the inside of the barrette to keep them in place.

The old school plastic Goody barrettes work pretty well, too. They come in shapes like bows, dogs, butterflies, etc. and have little plastic teeth on the inside of the barrette.

I really don't want to cut bangs on my little girls (5 and 2) because I prefer the no-bangs look. We are also really "low maintenance" about our appearance, and I think that trimming the bangs all that time would be a bother.

Unfortunately, both of them have fine hair that breaks really easily. I always pull the front part of their hair into little ponytails on the tops of their heads, just to keep the hair out of their faces. We use those little clear hair rubber bands. It seems like doing this every day means that the front hair keeps breaking over and over again-- I feel like the hair will never be long enough to actually put into a normal ponytail or half-ponytail or any other style. They always just have the little ponytail right on the top of their head.

We've tried headbands, but they always fall out, and I can't stand it when they have hair in their faces.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Is there a hairstyle or hair product that could help us?

I don't think you need to know how to french braid....a regular braid should work fine if you just want to keep the hair out of their eyes. With my 5 year old I just take a secion of hair that would fall in her eyes and braid it, so that it lies down against her temple. It's her go-to style and it looks cute and works very well. Usually we part her hair on the side and just put the braid on the bigger side, but 2 braids works as well.

I just let my daughter have her hair loose. Yes, it gets in her face, but she deals with it and she puts clips in. She uses these colored elastics that don't break hear to put her hair back. She has to have long hair without bangs because of the buns she wears for ballet.

:iagree: When my daughter was younger we used the terry cloth covered tiny hair bands. She only had bangs at one point when she gave herself a haircut at 3 and I put the whole thing in a short bob at that point. And honestly, it was nice having an easier hair style at that age. She started getting haircuts at 6 months old. Now at 8 her hair is half way down her back with no bangs (her choice, I would cut it if she wanted it shorter) and more manageable. They can always have it longer when they're older. I'm not a fan of bangs either just because of our laziness on getting haircuts. Heck - I'm behind on dentist and well child visits at this point!

Mergath, your daughter's pixie cut is darling! :D I feel like I'm following you around the past day. I always had fine thin hair as a kid and I usually had a pixie cut.

my daughter has really fine hair too...and one of the best things we did was buy those elastic, stretchy headbands at Hobby Lobby (they are in the section with the bandanas, plain cloth bags, aprons etc)...ours are on an endcap...they come in a bunch of different colors. My daughter wears them daily...everything else we tried fell out of her hair.

Good luck....fine hair is a pain...I have it too...

I had fine thin hair as up until I had kids (it's got much thicker since). I found that bob length with a fringe looked and felt best. I found if you have it long and it was fine it often just looked lank and lifeless. My dd always has had either a bob or short pixie cut and it isn't that hard to look after and dries really fast (her hair is super thick though), We've never had to faff about with clips or keeping fringe out of her eyes, she's never had a ponytail or bunches either so it's extremely low maintenance.

You can try leaving alittle conditioner in, too. One of mine was like that when she was little (it's a little thicker, now) it was impossible to get out tangles because they would become little nests and you cauldn't even see the individual strands to pick it apart. Leaving a little conditioner in would weigh it down and help it to be more managable.

My daughter had fine hair and wouldn't leave any barrettes or hair ties in. We just did bangs until she was 6 or 7. The bangs/bob made her hair look thicher and was easy to manage. Her hair changed after that and she was FINE with barrettes when she was fixing her own hair :-/ She's 15 and has had all different hairstyles. Most don't involve bangs.

DD has long, fine hair with no bangs. I started noticing damage from ponies as well, and I don't even pony her every day. She mostly likes to wear it down. I started braiding it for swim team, just a simple braid. She loves this because it looks cute when it's braided and makes her hair curly after it dries. So, after a while of just the simple braid, she asked for a French braid and I tried it. Now, I have always been very intimidated by the French braid. Don't know why but whatever. :lol: I made a fair pass at it the first time and the second time it was even better. I think doing the simple braid trained my fingers. :D Anyway, try the simple braid for a while. A simple braid paired with the soft elastic headbands Rivka mentioned work beautifully here. But don't be afraid of the French braid either. You can do it!

My dd has extremely fine hair too, and we finally went with a pixie cut:

602419_10102187353602780_1985656222_n.jpg

(Sorry the picture is huge, not sure how to resize it.)

She has bangs, but they normally just get swept over to the side. A little mousse in the morning, and the hair stays just how she wants it.

I finally gave up on trying to braid it or put it in ponytails when it was longer because it breaks so easily, it was starting to look really frizzy and weird. This works much better.

She is ADORABLE! The haircut suits her!

My DD was like that, but also was a master of removing and losing any barette, clip, bow, tie, or elastic I tried to put in her hair. It would mostly stay off to the side, though, and she was 4 or so before it got long enough to fall in her eyes.

DS's hair is like that now (it's silky fine and blond and I refuse to cut it!) We just brush it over to the side, too.

As far as a braid or french braid goes, with fine hair, I braid while the hair is wet, and then spray it down really well.

Fine hair is a pain. My girls are both Asian, and they both have the fine hair, not the textured. And the younger one has TONS of it. And, they both want it long. I got their hair trimmed up one time and the lady at the salon pulled DD hair back with a bobby pin, that wouldn't stay. She then did a criss-cross with 3 bobby pins and it finally stayed in place. But it was 3 pins on top of each other. Even the no-slip bobby pins don't stay. :glare:

Now that their hair is longer, the no-slip pony tail things stay. I think they are by Goody and we have found some at Target and Walmart.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions! I am thrilled that I have a bunch of new things to try with their hair.

It is also nice to hear about some of the positive aspects of shorter cuts/bangs for fine hair--- definitely something that I'll consider if we can't get things more under control with some new styles and accessories!

How about alligator clips lined with shelf liner (so they have some grippiness)? Then you can just pull the hair to the side. That's what we do with my DD's hair. I think it would be less likely to break the hair than those little elastics.

:iagree:This is what we use for Sweet P. I am trying to grow hers to an all the same length bob, no bangs.

Ariel has super-fine hair, too, and I always kept it in a deep side part with either a small braid on the thicker side, or when she stopped ripping every hair tie out of her hair, some non-slip barrettes. It was super cute. Occasionally I would give her bangs, especially before she started allowing the barrettes (and bows and hair bands...) to stay.

My hair is super-fine (gee, I wonder where DD got hers...) and my dad always wanted it in a pixie cut. I HATED it, so I've only ever done that to Ariel once, and it was because she moved when I was trimming her hair and it was that or shave her head. :lol:

Both of my girls have straight, fine hair. The youngest has a chin-length bob (no bangs) and we usually just pull 1 side back into a clip, or I braid a small section of the front to keep it out of her face. (She prefers it short.)

My oldest has long hair, no bangs. We do a variety of ponytails, braids, hairbands, clips, etc. One thing I've found: fine hair still escapes ponytails and braids. Wispy hairs escape all around the face. I am very low maintenance when it comes to hair, but I've discovered that if I want their hair to stay tidy, styling with water, gel and hairspray is a must...