Menu

10th grade English

What are my choices for an all inclusive English program for 10th grade? I would '*like* something to go with the medieval (2nd) history cycle if possible but it doesn't have to be.

At the high school level, the most "all-inclusive" English programs get are usually Literature and Composition, with possibly some vocabulary. Or, primarily Literature (and analysis) with writing assignments, and possibly with some vocabulary. Spelling and Grammar are not usually included at this point.

Literature written during the Medieval History period is primarily early British Literature, with some selections from World authors. Typically, the British medieval works are found in a British Lit. program (the first chapters/units), while World medieval works from the Medieval time frame are found in a chapter/unit of a World Lit. program.

Programs that cover some aspects of your "wish list":

- Bob Jones grade 10 Grammar and Writing, AND Bob Jones Elements of Literature (gr. 10) -- (literature, writing, grammar)

- Bob Jones Literature (gr. 12) -- (literature & writing)

- Excellence in Literature: British Literature (gr. 11-12) -- (literature & writing assign.)

- Excellence in Literature: Introduction to Literature (gr. 9-10) -- (literature & writing assign.)

- Tapestry of Grace, year 2 -- (history and literature)

..Literary Lessons so if you can think of anything similar to that...

The only thing remotely similar I can think of is the unit-study program based on the Anne of Green Gables series: "Where the Brook and River Meet", which is focused on the Victorian era (approx. 1840-1900). It covers topics in: literature, history, writing, grammar, fine arts, social studies, Bible, religion, occupational education, and health.

Third Option -- not all-inclusive, but matches literature to the history

There is also the option of setting up your own English program by selecting works from your historical time frame, and then matching up individual literature guides and resources, and working through separate writing, grammar, and spelling or vocabulary programs as needed.

Edited by Lori D.

What are my choices for an all inclusive English program for 10th grade? I would '*like* something to go with the medieval (2nd) history cycle if possible but it doesn't have to be.

I am also considering Literary Lessons so if you can think of anything similar to that I would love to hear those recs as well! Thanks

Hi. Just wondering if you are staying with MFW for 10th grade. My daughter will be in 9th grade next year and I am heavily leaning towards using MFW AHL. Are you currently supplementing MFW with another english curriculum? :)

Hi. Just wondering if you are staying with MFW for 10th grade. My daughter will be in 9th grade next year and I am heavily leaning towards using MFW AHL. Are you currently supplementing MFW with another english curriculum? :)

She is debating. I am getting ideas just in case she decides not to stay with MFW. The rest of the kids are doing these history guides from Simply Charlotte Mason and she is not sure if she wants to break the 4 year cycle or stick with MFW. She likes AHL, but she also likes the work she would do with the guides. I think at this point she is going to stick with us with the SCM guides.