Menu

I saw SWB speak, and all I can say is

Kimber

Wow! It was worth the 2 1/2 hour drive there and back!

I received so much encouragement. I feel totally excited about writing now.

And I must say that my favorite part of her presentation was when she spoke on how we as a culture rely on experts so much.

I have read books about this idea in the past, and I believe this is true But what had never occurred to me--until I heard her speak--is that the reason I keep buying curricula is that I am hoping that the next set of books will have the secret information that I missed in school, but somehow the experts have it. I don't know where I think this secret information is coming from, but I've always believed it's somewhere out there floating around and being passed down from expert to expert.

I don't wonder if this isn't why CW appealed to me so much. It's written in such an abstract and difficult manner that it appeals to people like me. People that are looking for something really hard. Because if it's really hard and really complicated then that must be where the secret information is.

Don't get me wrong, I still love CW, and I can't wait to start Diogenes. But I found it hard to implement. I got great results with it, but I want easier. I'm going to drop Homer and not start up with CW again until I think my daughter is ready for Diogenes and 5 paragraph essays. I'm going to follow Susan's plan of outlining and writing across the curriculum. This should free up about 1 hour per day of our time to focus on other subjects deeper.

Susan has made writing so easy and accessible. She's totally demystified it for me and I am truly grateful. And I really needed the encouragement to trust my own instincts.

I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulder.

Thanks Susan,

Kimberly

:iagree:

I went to the HSIZ conference yesterday too (and met Kimber :seeya:). It was wonderful and I learned so much. I loved the presentation on teaching writing and I feel much more confident of my ability to teach my kids to be good writers. I'm looking forward to implementing WWE.

The plan that SWB laid out was so sensible and incremental that it took the mystery out of writing well. Pretty impressive for a hour talk.

Kimber, I'm totally hijacking this. I sent you a private message, but I thought I'd post to this thread also to make sure you get me email! :001_smile:

I wrote to you earlier asking when your your 4 copybooks for 4-6th grade would be available. You were thinking sometime around August. I looked on Lulu and they aren't available yet. Any time frame for these? I'm hoping to use your book for copywork again this year.What I am needing is the year 4 book for 4th-6th grade in manuscript.

Thanks!

!!!Yeah!!! I get to see her next weekend ~ Can't wait!!!

btw - I agree with your tho'ts about CW! Though, I do wonder if maybe that same "Oh, this is the stuff I missed out on" feeling isn't what draws me to Great Books ala WTM for high school. I'm hoping she will show me that it *doesn't* have to be hard, and that my ds *can* enjoy it.

So glad you shared!

Rhonda

Kimber, thanks for sharing your experience and epiphany! I think you're right on about seeking more and more curriculua in order to find *the*

expert guidance and answers. I will definitely keep this in mind when my wish list starts to grow and grow and.....:willy_nilly:

How wonderful to get to hear Susan speak in person! I'm reading WWE and finding it a great relief, a real burden lifter.

Here's to clarity and confidence!

I totally agree. I hadn't planned on sitting in on her writing talk at last year's convention, and I didn't know that she had a writing curriculum coming out. But WOW. Her approach to writing totally clicked with me! (Especially the concept that kids should never be forced to do creative writing. YES! Please--let me write a master's thesis or even a dissertation...ANYTHING but a short story!)

At THIS year's convention, I headed straight for her booth and snapped up Writing with Ease. :)

I started taking notes, but I quit mid way through. Most of the writing stuff was in the WWE book and her Writing Without Fear CD, although more in depth. She did say she'd put some info on her blog that everyone was scrambling trying to copy from the overheads. It was the material covering how to read a book.

Most of what she said seems so simple and commonsense, but evidently the material wasn't common enough that I didn't need to hear it.

I had to laugh at your thoughts on CW. I think it appeals to me for the same reason. I'm very much caught in that idea that experts have some magic that I don't. And have been actively working on breaking out of that mindset for years.

As much as I love CW, I'm shelving it for this year. My oldest is going to take a writing class, and we're going to wait a bit to start Diogenes. I'm also going to do WWE with my youngers.

I am laughing at(with) both of you. :) It is precisely b/c CW is so convoluted that I can't stand it!! I tried to like it, really I did. But, yikes, teaching writing skills really isn't that hard! I enjoyed reading Rhetoric in the Classical Tradition. It is straight-forward. It goes through all the levels. It is (shhhhhhh......) rather simple. ;)

BTW Kimber, I will send you an email. We have been living a life of drama and finally hope is in sight. My inability to focus seems to be "cured" and progress if finally being made again.

As much as I love CW, I'm shelving it for this year.

:eek: No! Wait...you're one of my experts! :D

I agree with momof7, though...it is convoluted. ;) I'm going to make it work for me on my terms, but I'll be reading WWE, as well. Confidence-boosting, you know. :tongue_smilie:

:eek: No! Wait...you're one of my experts! :D

I agree with momof7, though...it is convoluted. ;) I'm going to make it work for me on my terms, but I'll be reading WWE, as well. Confidence-boosting, you know. :tongue_smilie:

Don't get me wrong! I still love it, and believe in it. I think CW is nothing short of fantastic. However, writing is not my oldest's strong point, and he just needs something *else* before moving forward. Plus, I want to take some time to understand the theory better, so that I can use it in our own way, rather than be tied to the workbooks (or feel tied to the workbooks, anyway). I want to internalize it so that I no longer feel that the CW people are the experts. And I suspect that there are some basics we really need to go back and work on more, before we move forward.

And, er ... writing comes naturally to me, but NOT to my oldest. I need someone else to teach him for awhile, or I'll end up killing someone. :D

I was there as well, along with my 16 yo dd. She said this was the best gift I could have given her all summer :) We decompressed all the way home (3+ hours) as she was planning how to implement the writing ideas into history and science. We had such a blast. SWB was very warm, humorous and approachable.

If you live in GA (or surrounding states) - move heaven and earth to GO hear her this weekend. You won't regret it.

Don't get me wrong! I still love it, and believe in it. I think CW is nothing short of fantastic.

Plus, I want to take some time to understand the theory better, so that I can use it in our own way, rather than be tied to the workbooks (or feel tied to the workbooks, anyway). I want to internalize it so that I no longer feel that the CW people are the experts.

Yes! We're only in the third lesson of Homer :rolleyes: and I can relate. I do love it, despite its...loftiness? volume? :lol: I am only now becoming comfortable enough with its ideas to blossom, I think.

Then again, those WWE samples look downright relaxing in comparison. Perhaps I need them both... :D

Yes! We're only in the third lesson of Homer :rolleyes: and I can relate. I do love it, despite its...loftiness? volume? :lol: I am only now becoming comfortable enough with its ideas to blossom, I think.

Then again, those WWE samples look downright relaxing in comparison. Perhaps I need them both... :D

The unfortunate thing is that right now WWE is only for the younger levels. I am so looking forward to using it with my littles. But that doesn't help with my older 2. My 8th grader is using CW Older Beginners this year. I am contemplating starting my 6th grader in Homer A, but I need to go listen to Writing Without Fear first.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!! I was dreading the 2 1/2+ hour drive to Atlanta on Friday, especially when I already have curriculum planned for the fall (as in less than two weeks to proposed start date!). I plan to sit in on Jessie Wise's talk on language lessons as well since that is not far off for us and this may be my only chance to hear her. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie at the Expo? Does it take long to register if you are buying tickets at the door. JW speaks at 10am!

How funny, I remember your daughter. I sat right behind you guys, next to the knitter. I had the short black hair and asked a couple of not so profound questions. I learned a great deal.

Kimberly

I don't remember any not so profound questions - we must have been at different talks :tongue_smilie:

I've heard her speak a few years ago - even on the same subjects - and I still learned a great deal - and felt encouraged - particularly in my own personal reading. :)

My dd spent $20 today on notebooks, paper etc. so she can implement SWB'S writing suggestions.

I don't know if they do this at every conference but you can buy cd's of the different talks vendors give. Here in GA at the Expo, they have a company that records each talk given. They are usually the first booth on the left when you walk in. They go directly to their booh afterwards and make cd's. I think they are like $5 each. I have all of the Wise ladies cd's on my list to buy. I won't be there for some of the workshops so that my plan.

Sandy

I heard SWB teach at the Cincinnati convention last year and Jessie Wise this year. Both were well worth the long drive.

Not to sound like a groupie or anything, but I think SWB is one of the best convention speakers I have heard. She does an excellent job of both explaining the philosophy and giving practical terms for how that philosophy can be applied.

I told dh that next year he's coming with me to Cincinnati to hear her again. Since so much of our life is tied around TWTM it makes sense for him to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

I don't know if they do this at every conference but you can buy cd's of the different talks vendors give. Here in GA at the Expo, they have a company that records each talk given. They are usually the first booth on the left when you walk in. They go directly to their booh afterwards and make cd's. I think they are like $5 each. I have all of the Wise ladies cd's on my list to buy. I won't be there for some of the workshops so that my plan.

Sandy

So, if you aren't able to attend the expo, but would like copies of these cds, how do you go about ordering? I'm very interested! :)

So, if you aren't able to attend the expo, but would like copies of these cds, how do you go about ordering? I'm very interested! :)

From my cd's from last year...Rhino Technologies, # is 207-753-0717, services@rhino-technologies.com

I do know they ship as well. I left before a talk I wanted to attend started and they said they would ship it to me.

HTH,

Sandy

Rhino Technologies only sells the Wise/Bauer CDs on site, not through the online store. You can order the writing CD from peacehillpress.com. We're in the process of making more audio lectures available through our website, too.

Oh this is so cool, I would love to be able to hear her, if only on a CD!

When I heard SWB was coming to Texas I was so excited. But then I realized that it happened to be the exact day that 2 friends of mine had scheduled a girls' weekend. We had it on the calendar for 6 months and one of the girls is only in the country for a short time. We had a blast but I wish I could have been in 2 places at once. It sounds like it was incredible. I *have* to get SWB's Writing Without Fear CD. I have heard no less than 10 times how amazing and encouraging it is.

Hi Kimber!!:seeya:

Rhino Technologies only sells the Wise/Bauer CDs on site, not through the online store. You can order the writing CD from peacehillpress.com. We're in the process of making more audio lectures available through our website, too.

What lectures are you working on to make available? I had heard a few months ago that PHP might be putting Jessie Wise's talk on "If I Could to Do It Over Again" (or something like that) on CD to sell. I have the Writing Without Fear CD and Science in the Classical Curriculum, but would LOVE to purchase others by SWB and JW. Well, I'd REALLY love to attend one of these conventions, but we live too far away.

Thanks, and thanks for all you guys do!