Menu

ACT Exams

Today was a test day for the ACT. The high school where dd took the exam had algebra posters all over the walls and rules for inequalities, some geometry and the like. She did not look closely as she did not need to nor did she want to even possibly considered a cheat. Sadly the proctor was knitting away and texting while the young men in front of her discussed their answers. She already hit her mark on the SAT this was just another exam to buttress those results. I am ill. Does lack of honor extend to the Superintendent who vowed to "raise the ACT scores," two months ago...the possibilities are grotesque. And they started at 8:15 after the kids were told to be there at 7:30. They stood around doing nothing while the head guidance counselour ran about seeking a custodian to unlock the classrooms where the exams HAD to be given. Something stinks to high heaven here. Why on earth could they not have simply used the cafeteria?? No posters all over the walls?

Last week, our ds took the "pre-ACT" (PLAN) at a very elite private school. We requested extended time on the test and showed them his recent Neuropsych test that requested it. We had to pay for a proctor with an additional fee.

After the test, we were dismayed to find out the proctor was texting on her phone during ds' test. He complained her phone was "chirping" all of the time. He even asked her, "I thought no cell phones were allowed?"

To which the proctor retorted, "That rule applies to you. Not me." And she munched loudly on pretzels and slurped a drink during his exam. He was the only one in the room for extended time testing. Everyone else was in the lunchroom. :glare:

Grotesque and might I add, inappropriate and unprofessional. I swear they get these clowns from the same place and just move them around from one school to the next. Her behaviour was nearly might I say intentional ...you have two weeks from the test date to report any and all testing irregularities. I have a problem with the interruptions from her phone and the loud eating and drinking especially if the extra time if for an auditory processing delay. What on earth gets into some people to be so thoughtless of others on such a stressful day ?

I've never proctored an ACT, but I seriously can't imagine these behaviors are allowed (especially the first where the kids were discussing answers!). Quite honestly, I'd be reporting it even if my student were in the room. If things like this go on it just isn't fair to anyone and teaches school districts/students that cheating is just fine.

Today was a test day for the ACT. The high school where dd took the exam had algebra posters all over the walls and rules for inequalities, some geometry and the like. She did not look closely as she did not need to nor did she want to even possibly considered a cheat. Sadly the proctor was knitting away and texting while the young men in front of her discussed their answers. She already hit her mark on the SAT this was just another exam to buttress those results. I am ill. Does lack of honor extend to the Superintendent who vowed to "raise the ACT scores," two months ago...the possibilities are grotesque. And they started at 8:15 after the kids were told to be there at 7:30. They stood around doing nothing while the head guidance counselour ran about seeking a custodian to unlock the classrooms where the exams HAD to be given. Something stinks to high heaven here. Why on earth could they not have simply used the cafeteria?? No posters all over the walls?

This makes me unreasonably angry. Dd NEEDS to get high scores on these tests in order to go to one of her dream schools. She has studied hard, and is so very stressed over the whole process. To see that the playing field, may not, in fact, be level...... well it just infuriates me! The school and the proctor should be reported, imho.

Honestly, these are just signs of what is really wrong all over our nation in many areas. Many people today use situational ethics to determine their own definition of morality. Breaking rules is okay if it makes sense to you. How many parents have allowed their children to get Facebook accounts before the age of 13 even though it meant their child lying about their age in order to activate an account?

It bothers me so much that I'm having to raise my children to be an honest citizen knowing I'm going to be sending them out into a world where people will lie, cheat, and steal to get ahead.

As long as each individual gets to decide in their own mind what is really right or wrong, we, as a nation, will never reach our full potential.

Honestly, these are just signs of what is really wrong all over our nation in many areas. Many people today use situational ethics to determine their own definition of morality. Breaking rules is okay if it makes sense to you. How many parents have allowed their children to get Facebook accounts before the age of 13 even though it meant their child lying about their age in order to activate an account?

It bothers me so much that I'm having to raise my children to be an honest citizen knowing I'm going to be sending them out into a world where people will lie, cheat, and steal to get ahead.

As long as each individual gets to decide in their own mind what is really right or wrong, we, as a nation, will never reach our full potential.

:iagree:

This makes me unreasonably angry. Dd NEEDS to get high scores on these tests in order to go to one of her dream schools. She has studied hard, and is so very stressed over the whole process. To see that the playing field, may not, in fact, be level...... well it just infuriates me! The school and the proctor should be reported, imho.

:iagree: This year my guy isn't going for tippy top scores, but 2 years ago, that son was. Since the test is graded on a curve of test takers, it can, and does, make a difference. Please report.

"The only way for bad folks to succeed is for good folks to do nothing." I know I paraphrased that a tad and I wish my brain were working to give credit, but right now I'm in a brain fog, so will have to leave that for someone else. (We're also just starting to get real effects from that storm, so I've no idea how long I'll have power and don't care to spend what I do have on a google search. No school today...)

I am in communication with the TAG coordinator who is very aware of the ethical, legal and moral implications. And to all who posted, thank you so much for sharing your outrage. Sometimes I think I am the one whose perceptions are off. FTR dd already took the test and earned what she needed. This was just a retake for two points but by gosh those two points are the difference between a nice merit scholarship and a full ride. The woman with whom I was discussing this and who was in charge of the exam and the head counselor at the school, kept twiddling her thumbs the entire time. She is well aware that I will take exception with the methodology and planning. I felt dirty and sick to my stomach while speaking to her. My senses are well attuned to deception from years of practicing law, I can spot bs a mile off and let me say I was ready to pull on the high waders because I was up to my waist in horsepucky. I will continue to share what transpires. Mostly this just makes me angry and sad. What an example for those young people.

I would be very upset too. Thanks for following up. This kind of stuff drives me crazy.

I am in communication with the TAG coordinator who is very aware of the ethical, legal and moral implications. And to all who posted, thank you so much for sharing your outrage. Sometimes I think I am the one whose perceptions are off. FTR dd already took the test and earned what she needed. This was just a retake for two points but by gosh those two points are the difference between a nice merit scholarship and a full ride. The woman with whom I was discussing this and who was in charge of the exam and the head counselor at the school, kept twiddling her thumbs the entire time. She is well aware that I will take exception with the methodology and planning. I felt dirty and sick to my stomach while speaking to her. My senses are well attuned to deception from years of practicing law, I can spot bs a mile off and let me say I was ready to pull on the high waders because I was up to my waist in horsepucky. I will continue to share what transpires. Mostly this just makes me angry and sad. What an example for those young people.