Menu

Tell me anything about doing a "Picture Study"....

rachelpants

I second Ambleside Online for reading about it and following their rotations--they set the internet links up for you, it's all free. Also check out simplycharlottemason.com. Their site is also helpful in both explaining the method and offering curricula to pull the method off.

DD has picture study built into her cursive handwriting, Latin, and Grammar curricula. The cursive one has the copywork tied to the picture, the pictures in LL tie to the Roman history, and the Simply Grammar pictures are examined as fodder for sentence composition. I take it as just opportunity for exposure to beautiful images and an opportunity to develop attention to detail.

Thank you for all of the replies, this is all so helpful. I have a couple more questions.....

Has anyone had problems getting pictures printed from the Ambleside links? What language arts curriculums cover picture study as part of the program?

The link to the CM books look easy to implement......hmmmmmm.

Thank you again for all of the ideas!

I'm lame and I gave up on it:tongue_smilie: but when we used to do it, I would just print a beautiful print from a famous artist and hang it on the wall for 4 weeks. Underneath, I wrote the artists name and the year it was painted.

When my son was 6 he once, all by himself, made a beautiful painting of Starry Night by Van Gogh, and it was just from that picture hanging on the wall and the few gentle discussions we had about painting. :D

We use this method: http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/our-picture-studies.html

At first I picked artists/prints I knew the boys would love (using Penny Gardener's site as a resource), this year I'm doing Ambleside's rotations: http://www.amblesideonline.org/ArtSch.shtml#thisterm

I use this site as well. I put prints of the workS up in four frames we have by our dining room table so we can discuss them during meals or snack time. Also, I try to pick at least a couple works of art each year that are at a local art museum so we can go see them in person.

I get calendars from previous years (i.e. CHEAP) and cut out six pictures. I laminate them so my kids can touch them and look closely. We do it once a week for six weeks. I usually get some books. For Renoir, I used this and this.

I start with the picture upside down. The kids are usually pretty excited. We turn it over and they look at it carefully. When they are ready, they turn it over. They tell me what the remember from the picture. It is usually pretty amazing what the remember. Then we turn it back over and discuss it a little more. How do you think these people feel right now? What do you like about the picture? General questions. Then we hang them up around our table in the kitchen until we move on to a new artist.

Thank you for all of the replies, this is all so helpful. I have a couple more questions.....

Has anyone had problems getting pictures printed from the Ambleside links? What language arts curriculums cover picture study as part of the program?

The link to the CM books look easy to implement......hmmmmmm.

Thank you again for all of the ideas!

I printed them from the files in their yahoo group. I just ordered them from office max on card stock. The look great and cost under $5. I read the card stock vs. photo paper recommendation somewhere and I have to agree that it was the better way.

I printed them from the files in their yahoo group. I just ordered them from office max on card stock. The look great and cost under $5. I read the card stock vs. photo paper recommendation somewhere and I have to agree that it was the better way.

I've been meaning to ask this for a couple of days...lol....anywho...

Do you have the link for the yahoo group?

Tell me about printing on card stock at office max....do you just take in a disk or something? Do you remember how many pages you printed? I hate my printer and would love to have someone else do it for me :)

Thanks!!

I get calendars from previous years (i.e. CHEAP) and cut out six pictures. I laminate them so my kids can touch them and look closely. We do it once a week for six weeks. I usually get some books. For Renoir, I used this and this.

I start with the picture upside down. The kids are usually pretty excited. We turn it over and they look at it carefully. When they are ready, they turn it over. They tell me what the remember from the picture. It is usually pretty amazing what the remember. Then we turn it back over and discuss it a little more. How do you think these people feel right now? What do you like about the picture? General questions. Then we hang them up around our table in the kitchen until we move on to a new artist.

Calendars! Genius! Do you buy online or pick them up somewhere after the new year starts?

Thanks!

Edited by rachelpants

I've been meaning to ask this for a couple of days...lol....anywho...

Do you have the link for the yahoo group?

Tell me about printing on card stock at office max....do you just take in a disk or something? Do you remember how many pages you printed? I hate my printer and would love to have someone else do it for me :)

Thanks!!

What I did was just load the files online through their printing options on their website. They give the option of what kind of paper, and I just picked the heaviest weight paper they had. I just looked at my order, and it was 80# paper which cost $3.96 for my whole order. When it was ready, they emailed me and I went in, paid for it, and was done. Easy peasy. The yahoo group is this one. The files were good quality and I think they look great. They had 6 Renoir prints for this semester, so that's how many I did. I plan on doing the set in January. It looks like they are Ruisdael and de Hooch. Here's a picture of our art wall:

IMG_3195.JPG

What I did was just load the files online through their printing options on their website. They give the option of what kind of paper, and I just picked the heaviest weight paper they had. I just looked at my order, and it was 80# paper which cost $3.96 for my whole order. When it was ready, they emailed me and I went in, paid for it, and was done. Easy peasy. The yahoo group is this one. The files were good quality and I think they look great. They had 6 Renoir prints for this semester, so that's how many I did. I plan on doing the set in January. It looks like they are Ruisdael and de Hooch. Here's a picture of our art wall:

IMG_3195.JPG

This is so helpful! Thanks a million!:001_smile:

IMG_3195.JPG

Thank you!!!!