Menu

water bottles in the airport...and going through security

I have heard all of the above about this subject...

1) you can bring sealed water bottles through security

2)you can bring empty water bottles through security

3) you can't bring any water bottles through security.

so what has been your expereince...does it go by airport...or airline?

we are traveling Delta...leaving from Omaha on tuesday...and then returning through Orlando the following Tuesday

also, having not flown for a VERY long time...what can we expect to have happen at the security spot...we are NOT checking any bags...so all of our possessions will be in a carry-on (each one of us..there are 5...will have a small suitcase and backpack).

Will they open each suitcase and inspect? will they open back packs?

Do we need to give them our quart sized bag with liquids in it up front, or do they ask for those? What else would be helpful for us to know?? thanks for all of your help!!!!!

I have heard all of the above about this subject...

1) you can bring sealed water bottles through security

2)you can bring empty water bottles through security

3) you can't bring any water bottles through security.

so what has been your expereince...does it go by airport...or airline?

we are traveling Delta...leaving from Omaha on tuesday...and then returning through Orlando the following Tuesday

also, having not flown for a VERY long time...what can we expect to have happen at the security spot...we are NOT checking any bags...so all of our possessions will be in a carry-on (each one of us..there are 5...will have a small suitcase and backpack).

Will they open each suitcase and inspect? will they open back packs?

Do we need to give them our quart sized bag with liquids in it up front, or do they ask for those? What else would be helpful for us to know?? thanks for all of your help!!!!!

You can NOT bring water through security. You can bring empty sippy cups and sports cups. You may be able to bring regular water bottles through as well, but empty. Buy the overpriced water after security and before boarding. Or you can fill up at a water fountain. If you have littles (under 3yo) you MIGHT be able to get a juice cup through, but don't count on it.

Your bags will be xrayed and may be hand inspected. Anything is subject to inspection. Present the quart bag(s) of fluids up front or you will be subjected to more scrutiny.

Children under 12 do not have to remove their shoes going through security, but adults and children over 12 do. If you have a child under 12 who looks borderline, just have him/her remove shoes with the adults. It's easier that way.

It doesn't matter what airline you fly. TSA is separate from the airlines and controls all security. It does depend on what agent you get and his or her mood that day (sorry, but it's true). I have found (I fly frequently) that being proactive and polite goes a long way. I've had things taken away from me (juice right as DD turned 3) and I didn't fuss or fight. It's just not worth it.

Make SURE your carry-ons meet the size and weight limits of Delta. Be prepared to be told that you will have to check something. It happens.

thank you. My daughter is 12, but doesn't look the part...she is small...but I may as well have her remove her shoes, right?? I will bring empty water bottles and just have them in a backpack...is that ok?? If they ask me to trash them, then I will...doesn't hurt to try, right?? I am hoping our carry-ons meet the requirements...the tag said that they should.

thank you. My daughter is 12, but doesn't look the part...she is small...but I may as well have her remove her shoes, right?? I will bring empty water bottles and just have them in a backpack...is that ok?? If they ask me to trash them, then I will...doesn't hurt to try, right?? I am hoping our carry-ons meet the requirements...the tag said that they should.

Empty water bottles are fine. They are just containers. It's the liquid itself that is restricted.

Yes, have her remove her shoes.

The empty bottles should be fine.

Measure the carry-ons. Every airline is different, and a bag manufacturer can put anything on a tag.

From Delta's website:

Carry-on Baggage Size Restrictions

Baggage may not exceed 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate.

Yep, I agree with the above. No liquids. We just flew out of Denver and out of Norfolk a couple weeks ago, I did not have any problems carrying my empty Sigg bottle.

To be honest I was pretty nervous about passing through security because of the horror stories I have read about TSA. I was extra worried because we were prepared to ask for pat downs if we were directed through a body scanner, we were carrying injectable medication in a cooler bag with ice packs and my driver's license (only current ID) is expired. I was afraid all of these things would label us as a problem.

Fortunately my worries were unfounded - with my ID I was asked for something else with my name on it so I provided my debit cards, we were all directed through the metal detector, and at the first airport they asked that either dh or I volunteer for a pat down and a bag search due to the medication. I volunteered and it was very quick and professional, not a big deal at all. At our last airport they just tested the outside of the medication and we were on our way. As my children say, it was easy-peasy. :)

It's so hit and miss sometimes. When we flew to the States (and back to Germany) in April, I was allowed to bring water for formula for Han Solo, but they did some sort of testing on it here in Germany before they let it through. They poured a little of it into a small plastic cup and put some sort of test strip in it (the sample, not his actual water) and let us go. When we went through immigration, customs and THEN security again in Houston (which I don't understand, because we never left the secured area :confused: before boarding our second flight), they said NO water, even for Han Solo and I had to argue with them. They called some supervisor over, and he said it was fine.

Coming back to Germanywe missed our second flight due to bad weather, and had to go through security again the next day (the airline put us in a hotel) and I forgot to pull his bottles of water out of the bag and on one said anything.

When we flew to and from Rome earlier this month, we carried empty Camelbak bottles with us on the way, but on the way back, Indy had a completely full on in his bag, as did Han Solo that we forgot to empty and they went through security! We realized we had them when we got to the gate.

It's so weird!

I hope all goes well for you. Indy always has to take his shoes off and he's only 10, so I'd have her go ahead and take them off.

Measure the carry-ons. Every airline is different, and a bag manufacturer can put anything on a tag.

From Delta's website:

Carry-on Baggage Size Restrictions

Baggage may not exceed 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate.

the measurements on the tag (I bought them online, so I couldn't measure them myself) fit those specs...I checked that out ahead of time...so I am hoping they will work. I am not overstuffing them...so that shouldn't be a problem...I am hoping...the sizes on the website were 21 x 14 x 8...so I am counting on that.

Be sure no one leaves a pocketknife/all-purpose tool in the suitcase!

You will have to remove all laptops from your carry-on luggage before going through TSA screening.

Here's a fairly exhaustive list of allowed/prohibited items:

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/tsa_prohibited_items.php#beverages

Personal care or toiletries with aerosols, in limited quantities (such as hairsprays, deodorants)

what do you think this means??? How big is "limited quantities"...I wanted to bring a can of Lysol spray, but wasn't sure I could...

Personal care or toiletries with aerosols, in limited quantities (such as hairsprays, deodorants)

what do you think this means??? How big is "limited quantities"...I wanted to bring a can of Lysol spray, but wasn't sure I could...

What will you be using it for? Do you need it on the plane? I wouldn't bring it. My cousin tried to bring hair spray when she flew to DC and they wouldn't permit her to bring it because it was aerosol though their website says aerosols are permitted. I believe you can only bring 3 oz of liquid and you must present it to TSA sealed in a clear plastic bag.

I think this means a small can and I wouldn't consider Lysol to fit those guidelines. Be prepared to toss it if they don't either.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I envision this meaning a trial sized hairspray or small deodorant, but not a full size aerosol can. I pack wet wipes for disinfecting.

And I think your carry-ons should be fine. I've just seen too many people get into a fix trying to cram an overstuffed-too-big suitcase into the measuring frame or the overhead compartment, then pitching a fit when the FA wants to check it.

My experience is it's by airport and I was told by TSA to empty a *nearly* empty water bottle before bringing the bottle through security. I was allowed to bring an empty one through with no additional problems.

I was not allowed to bing a *sealed* commerical individual serving size container of peaches.

eta: it's always good (though you might provoke an agent with an attitude) to bring a print out of TSA's own rules about what is and is not permitted. Just because they work for TSA doesn't mean they know, or follow their own agency's rules.

I agree with those saying to measure your bags and make sure they fit. expescially expandable bags or one's with exterior pockets that project. I bought a 17" carry-on for my daughter thinking it would be fine. she had so much hassle at one airport, she ended up buying another carry-on with a hardshell because they made her check the first carry-on.

Edited by gardenmom5