Menu

What is the best way to work a tangled mess of long hair?

I put my girls in the shower and shampoo. Then I cover their hair in lots of conditioner, put a shower cap on and have them sit in the bath for 15-20 minutes to deep condition, and then I comb it before rinsing the conditioner out.

My sister uses olive oil spray on my niece (it's sold in the ethnic hair section).

Plenty of conditioner and start at the bottom, working your way up. That is counter intuitive, but trust me, it is the best approach.

:iagree: Go bottom up, little by little, one section at a time. If you can, grasp the hair above the tangle so that when you comb it won't pull so hard on the hair/scalp. Good luck! My dd screams her head off when I brush her hair.

:iagree: Go bottom up, little by little, one section at a time. If you can, grasp the hair above the tangle so that when you comb it won't pull so hard on the hair/scalp. Good luck! My dd screams her head off when I brush her hair.

:iagree: Putting on a DVD to watch helps it seem less of an ordeal, because it will take a long, long time.

My DD's hair is very tangly too. She is 10 now, and her hair texture is getting easier. It was so bad when she was younger that combing it out after washing took 30-40 minutes, and this after we'd brushed it before washing!

Have you tried an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse? Dilute it with water first.

Something else that helps my daughter's hair now is that I wash it for her in the kitchen sink. I comb it through with lots of conditioner and the water running over it. I think that really helps.

I have long tangly hair and use coconut oil. I prefer it to olive oil. I just put globs of oil on the super tangled areas. If my hair ends up TOO oily, I can usually wet it/towel dry to get most of the oilyness out.

Like others said, work bottom to top, holding the hair above where you're combing so you don't pull at the scalp.

I have caucasian hair, should it matter :)

Leave in conditioner, wide tooth comb, start at the bottom, hold the hair above the tangles so you don't pull too hard. Patience, patience, patience, and a kid video or something to distract your DD.

I still have nightmares of the tangles I got as a kid and the pain getting them out. I swore I'd never hurt my DD when combing her hair, but sometimes I do. It's hard not to when it's a rat's nest of a tangle.